1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Starting to gather a collection of pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Badfrog, May 20, 2011.

1. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Thus I need to probably acquire some sort of power source, patch cables and perhaps a board.

I'm going to end up with about 6 or 7 pedals that need powered up. Obviously it's getting old messing with batteries and having to unplug stuff all the time when I'm not using so I'm ready to switch over to some sort of power supply.

It looks like Voodoo Lab makes some good stuff? What should I look for in a power supply?

I need to start making up my own patch cables. Any good recommendations? It looks like a lot of people probably buy kits and make them up to the lengths that they desire? Obviously I'd like some good quality but don't wish to pay extra for hype.

Lastly, I'm going to need something to house/contain all this stuff. I'm sure there's no big secrets here and I can probably figure this stuff out on my own as far as pedal boards go. Do pedal boards actually house the power supply unit as well as the pedals?

Sorry for the noob questions but I've got to start somewhere and I really don't have any guitar buddies to show me the ropes. Obviously as you can tell I'm not in a band but I love pedals and do go over to my BIL's house from time to time with my stuff (he can play drums).

One last question, I've got a Boss RC-3 and I really like it and use it a lot. My amp is a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue (which has an FX loop). Should I just cut out the FX loop all together and just run everything before the amp (I'm assuming it makes the most sense to make the looper last in the chain)? Would it make any sense to have the looper in the FX loop?

2. thekonas

thekonas Member

Fellow newb here.. started the TGP GAS addiction a few months ago. I went from a One Spot daisy chain to a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2 Plus- They both work fine, but the PP2 does run quieter. It seems to be fairly flexible in powering different types of pedals as well, although all of mine so far are 9v.
    I'm looking into building my own cables, for now I'm just using cheapies from GC.
    The PP2 is stashed under the second tier. The back area/box is for storage.
    I run all of my pedals into the from of my amp- so I'm no help with your looper question.
    I bought a used pedal board/ ATA case and couldn't be happier with the set-up. Here's what I've acquired so far- with more on the way!

[​IMG]

3. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

Power supply kind of depends on your pedals. When I built my most recent pedalboard, I was pretty sure that I wanted isolated power because I was afraid of noise issues. But I got a onespot and a daisy chain and it's worked perfectly and it was cheap, easy, and lightweight. I run 6 pedals with it with ease.

For pedalboard patch cables, I had great luck with the Lava ELC kit. Very compact, the exact lengths you want, and I've had great reliability with them. Also, they take about a minute each to make.

The larger pedaltrain pedalboards come with brackets and space for a voodoo lab power supply to mount underneath them. The pedaltrain boards have to be the most common boards around here. I have a mini that I like, and since I use a onespot, I don't have to worry about mounting a psu.