Starting to think 50 watts is too much for gigs when mic'd!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by jimmyohio75, Feb 22, 2009.

1. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

So my band played a great gig Friday. We had about 160 people in attendance and by all accounts we rocked the house.

One thing is bothering me. My '59 Bassman was mic'd through the house PA. I was unable to get the volume loud enough to get the tubes cooking into the sweet spot. The cleans were a bit flat and the dirt (through my Crunch Box) seemed thin and fizzy. The sound was nothing like it sounds at band practice where I can turn the amp up loud and get the tubes cooking.

Most gigs we play we aren't mic'd and I can turn up my Bassman fairly loud. There is a new local club which is a great venue and we are playing there more often and we are always mic'd through the house PA.

I am thinking I should get a lower watt amp (like a Blues Jr.) for these types of gigs when I am mic'd. Does this make sense? If so what do you recommend for a low wattage amp in the $400-800 range?

I would still keep my Bassman for the larger gigs!!

No, I'm not buying an attenuator!!!!!

2. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Do you have a 12AY7 in V1 if not try that, it will allow you to dial up the volume pot a bit more with out getting to loud. I use to have a 59 Bassman myself great amp and had great tones with a Tonebone Classic.

That said I'm using a modified Blues Junior now as well with Barber pedals and it can still get loud enough with out a mic but should be Ideal when mic'd as well.

3. wired

wired Supporting Member

Run to your local GC and try the Egnater Rebel 20. The head & cab will cost you $850. Incredible amp for the money & you can push the output tubes @ 20W.

4. jpage

jpage Member

Even not going through the board, 50w is too much amp for most situations.

I miss the good ole' days...

5. gushtone

gushtone Supporting Member

The Rebels are bitcihn' OR a Deluxe Reverb RI. You can get the tubes cooking on those babies pretty easy. IMHO they sound better than the Blues JR's or HR series.

6. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

Why are you so dead set against an attenuator?

7. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

Not my choice. The club always mic's every band regardless of whether they get 10 people or 400!

8. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

The good ones are damn expensive and the bad ones suck!!

9. scottlaned

scottlaned Supporting Member

10. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

That's sort of funny , but definitely an option. Almost every band I've been in hasn't had a soundman, and I've had to do sound from the stage and then I don't worry about micing my amp so I turn it up to where I like it. .. Problems with that = 1) Stage volume = way louder 2)Only 1 part of the audience hears your guitar the 'right' way' ,etc,etc... . However what I've learned over the years, is very very rarely does an audience care about the guitar . (unless they're guitarists , or your friends) .. . SO , option of unplugging soundman's mic "ACCIDENTALLY" remains a very good one for you ;)

ERIC

11. jimmyohio75

jimmyohio75 Member

I actually thought about this. I was concerned about my guitar being way louder than the vocals and bass.

12. johnducci

johnducci Member

Sad as it is, it's true - audience doesn't care much about the guitar it seems, as long as it's audible. We do, being players and audiophiles, but not everyone is. IF you need to crank your amp up enough to make it sound sweet, then do it and screw the mic - you'll be happier and no one in the audience, frankly, will care.

13. StratsRule07

StratsRule07 Member

Classic 30
    The new Blues JR with the Vintage 30 in it. (Texas Red, Maybe?)
    Rebel 20 head and a decent cab.
    Delta Blues 2x10

Or just get an attenuator. Like stated above, the audience won't notice the difference in sound in most cases. That doesn't sway me from trying to obtain the best tone possible.

14. hangten

hangten Silver Supporting Member

I have a DRRI, and I am very much a team player in the sense that I want to hear myself, but above that I want the audience to hear a nice balanced sound from the band. But I can rarely get that thing to 4 without getting grief from the soundman. Even for bigger clubs with 1500-2000 people in them.

So, if you go the DRRI route (which is a great amp) AND you make one of the most common upgrades - replacing the speaker - get an INEFFICIENT speaker so you can crank it.

:RoCkIn

15. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

Often not enough to acheive the kind of cleans I prefer ... even when mic'd ...

16. indravayu

indravayu Senior Member

The good ones are less expensive than a new amp, though.

17. Luke

Luke Senior Member

You either need different amps for different situations or an amp with a master volume of some sort, whether that be power scaling or whatever.

18. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I'd echo the DR sentiments. Get one. You'll be starting a "DR Bunch" thread shortly thereafter. A SFVR would cost a little more money, but that's the direction I would go (well... went already I suppose). A good speaker is key... lots of nice stuff out there from Eminence and Weber. You might even prefer a V30 for the music you're playing. I did a JBL in mine, which is loud, clean, and even all the way up the dial. It's my #1 amp, whereas my Bassman is my #2.

BTW to everyone suggesting an attentuator, I don't think you can really use one with the 59RI Bassmen. They have 4 separate RCA outputs if my memory serves me correctly. One for each speaker.

19. Telecaster62

Telecaster62 Member

IMHO the DR is not the successor to the Bassman for lower volume punch. To me, the Pro Junior is much closer to the bassman tone. The DR is way too blackface for me and all Bassman versions I've tried were in the tweed camp.

20. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

I don't think anyone's considering the DR a successor to the Bassman. Just another amp that will work well for the OP in a lower-volume situation.

I've played a f*ckton of BJrs. Not really any Pro Jr's, but more BJrs than you can shake a stick at. I do not think they're that great of an amp. The common complaint about them sounding "boxy" is dead on. Even with different tubes and speakers (a MUST MUST MUST) I am just not that impressed. But, for what it's worth, a friend of mine has been using a BJr as the guest amp at the blues jams he runs for a while now. He uses JBL D123s in his. Neat speaker, sort of... not your typical JBL as it's more headroom-limiting than it is headroom-expanding. Sounds pretty good but it takes some getting used to. For my money I'd prefer the DR hands down any day of the week though. As always, YMMV.