Starting up on electric guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by iamdabe, Oct 8, 2008.

1. iamdabe

iamdabe Member

Hey. I don't have much experience with the electric guitar. And I have a rather elementary knowledge of amps/pedals/etc.

I'm extremely interested in starting in, utilizing the electric within a "church or praise/worship" setting.

Could you guys give me your inputs on how much I should invest to begin with? What I should invest in? This is in regards to an electric guitar, amp, and pedal board with pedals and everything. And if possible give a price range of how much I actually should spend.

If you guys could respond and help me out I'd forever be grateful.

2. scott58

scott58 Member

That's pretty difficult to answer and your probably going to get alot of different opinions. I,ve heard people say that your amp is probably 70% of your tone and what not, but I personally would rather play a $700 guitar through a $300 amp then the other way around. That doesn't mean you have to spend a grand, but the more you can afford the better off you'll be. Another good option is to go used (at least on the guitar). Go to the largest shop in your area and just try as much equipment as you can. When you find something that speaks to you. You'll know

3. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

unless you can afford a pre cbs strat or tele or a 50s gibson and an amp from dumble, trainwreck, pre cbs fenders, JMI vox, or 60s marshalls, you probably shouldnt even try to play, you wont sound very good.

4. Rockinrob86

actually what is your budget? That is really the biggest question, we can help you after we know what you are looking to spend.

5. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

:rotflmao:bow

6. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Might post your question on the new Praise & Worship Forum. Link found at the top of this page.

7. Sadhaka

Sadhaka Member

Spend as much as you can afford. The better the gear the longer it will last and the better it will hold its value.

8. iamdabe

iamdabe Member

Ultimately I'm looking to spend around 2000 for everything Amp Guitar Pedals

9. Rockinrob86

well, the first thing you need to know is whether you fall into the fender or gibson school of thought. Not that getting a fender or gibson is the best, its just that most designs borrow from one side of that fence more than the other. What kind of music do you like other than the praise and worship? Also, do you like modern style instruments, or are the vintage correct classics more your thing. Are you looking for a lot of versatility, or different shades of one great sound?

Ultimately, I believe that the amp is the most important part of getting a great sound. There are many excellent chinese and japanese guitars that are available for a fair price. For the most part with amplifiers, you get what you pay for, and therefore thats where I would spend the most.

10. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I will probably take some flack for this advice, but it's probably your best bet for value/function:

Go to your local GuitarCenter. Keep a budget in mind of about $500 for the guitar, $400 for the amp, and $200 for a combo-effects pedal. Then, you have a little wiggle room to spend a little more when they upsell you to the next highest grade of equipment.

Try every "type" of guitar in the store, and at minimum: Stratocasters, Telecasters, Les Pauls, and a "BB King" style (335) semi-hollowbody. Throw in some of the more interesting looking new-design guitars, if you can. But stay away from anything too cheap. (The only exception to that would be a Squier Vintage Classic tele.) Get a guitar that feels comfortable and that you like to play. Don't get upsold to the "American" Fenders or Gibsons if the "Mexicans" or "Epiphones" feel just as good to you. You don't need to pay a $1,000 (or more) premium for an American instrument.

For an amp, get a good, solid-state amplifier that can "model" (mimick) other guitar amplifiers. One 12-inch speaker is plenty for what you need. Honestly, there will be some $200 to $300 amps in the store that will suit you just fine.

For a combo effects pedal, decide if you need to be able to switch between effects super-fast (that is, in the middle of songs) or if you can take time to set the sound you want. If it's the former, be prepared to spend more on a combo pedal. If the latter, go for one of the cheaper combos.

Don't get upsold on cables, picks, etc. Just pick some reasonably priced ones. Again, try a bunch of pics (or even buy an assortment) so you get one that works for you.

Let's say you decide you like Stratocaster-style guitars. You can get a new "Mexican" Fender Strat for around $500. Ditto on Telecaster styles. If you decide you like ES-335 (BB King) style guitars, you can get a fine Ibanez for around $400, ditto an Epiphone in that style. Epiphone Les Pauls are good too, at around $400 to $500.

A tip: Money does not always equate with quality if you are comparing brands. But when comparing models of a specific brand, more money will equal better quality (in terms of craftsmanship and the quality of parts used on the guitar).

Good luck. Just stick to your guns in there. They'll be ready to upsell the heck out of you.

And for anyone else who cries, "Why don't you send the OP to a mom and pop music store instead?" I say it's purely an economic decision. Smaller, independent music stores cost more. There may be an exception or two, but not many.

11. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Stay away - electrics are the crack cocaine of the guitar world.

12. donostia13

donostia13 Member

I know less than nothing about P&W music, but even without any electric experience you must have some idea of what kinds of sounds you would like to make.

For many, a guitar with an "HSS" pickup combination covers all the bases. Assuming that's Greek to you, that would be a humbucking pickup in the bridge position, with single coils in the middle and neck positions.

If you know already that distortion will be an effect you will want to employ, then the classic Fender Strat with three single coils is not the way to go, because you'll have to know a lot about how to get the distortion to "thicken up." That's why many guitars come with the humbucker in the bridge.

$2k is a nice budget indeed! I don't think you'll have too many problems with that kind of money. Just don't get a $1900 amp and a $100 guitar :)

13. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

For a starter amp, you could do a lot worse than a Roland Cube 30x. Lots of effects to play with, and they mostly sound pretty good. Enough loud for a small gig or miked for a larger house. You can try a lot of things and see what sound you like playing the best. Around $230 most places. Solidly built, too.

guitar depends on what you wanna play, see what someone you dig plays and get something like it? Be sure you take whatever you buy to a good luthier and have it set up. (prices vary, but maybe $100 for a godd done-by-hand job to close to 300 for PLEK) Makes a world of difference.

I wouldn't spend a ton of money until I had a good idea of what I wanted to sound like and what really appealed to me. And you don't really need things like a vintage Deluxe Reverb to get started.

The Roland, I'd get new, the guitar, I'd look at used, or one of the better cheapo lines, like Xaviere. Maybe Squire or Made in Mexico Fender. You'll probably wind up wanting something else when you get into playing. Used, you can probably get your money back when you sell it, a QUALITY cheapo (yes, they exist) well set up, you won't have to bother selling, 'cause you won't have that much tied up in it. and you'll probably want to play it sometimes, anyway.

Try to take a very knowledgable friend with you when you go shopping

Have fun.

14. Rockinrob86

If I had two thousand, I would probably get a Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster (best value guitar ever, they are equal in every way to any under 1k fender!) a deluxe or princeton reverb (either Silver face from the 70's or a reissue) and then a good fuzz/distortion/overdrive type of pedal. the Deluxe reverb has reverb obviously, and also tremelo. I find that multisound fx boxes usually do a bunch of things okay, but nothing great.

If spending 2k isnt a necessary, I would get a blues junior amp instead.

15. PerfectStranger

PerfectStranger Member

Forget Fenders...you're not playing rock n' roll. Go with either a Less Paul- type or ES-type guitar. Notice I said "type". You certainly don't need a Gibson, especially since you won't be recording. Just because you have $2,000 to spend doesn't mean you have to. A good used guitar in the $400 - 600 range....and a versatile solid-state amp in the $300 - $400 range will suffice nicely. Unless W&P music has changed drastically you're not going to need much in the way of pedals. Not many church songs use wah-wah.....or space effects. Think maybe chorus, phaser, tremolo, and possibly echo/delay. Any combo of those or all of those will suffice. Here again. You won't be recording...you don't need the snooty, elitist pedals. Make sure they have true by-pass and a fairly decent sound. With careful shopping and a little due diligence you should be able to get everything you need and more for no more than $1,000 to $1,200 and have a first class setup that you will be proud to play.

Don't listen to all the BS about "oh, you just HAVE to buy Fender" or "you gotta get a Gibson or your tone will suck". Find the things that you like and sound good to you. You'll walk out with plenty of money still in your pocket.

16. MartinC

MartinC Member

Roland Cube 30/60 would give you good quality tone at a wide range of volume levels, a variety of different amp styles and built in effects. I don't have the full specs to hand but I think the 30 has a CD input for playing along with backing tracks and built in tuner too. The 60 would probably give you enough volume to play in a band situation. Have a search for threads in the amps section. There are some guys who swear by them on here.

As for guitar ... try a Strat, Tele, Les Paul and Hollowbody (or copy thereof). Pick the one that has the best combination of 'feels comfortable to play' and 'produces the sounds you like'.

Good luck

17. yumanike

yumanike Member

I think Chucke99 made a great suggestion with the recommendation of the Spider Jam 75 ($450). I think you may want to seriously consider an amp like that. Tons of effects and amp models without all the hassle of having several amps and pedals. You may want to A/B the Spider Jam with the Fender G-Dec 30 ($370), but I haven't heard much bad about the Spider Jam yet, plus these bands in a box make practicing so much more fun if you don't have a lot of musicians willing to jam at the drop of a hat. I am also jonesing for the Vox Tone Lab LE ($400), but you may want to see if the amp you get offers you all the effects you need. As far as electric guitars go, play everything you can. Find out what weight, nut width, scale and pickups you want. If you can't find all of this in one guitar you could get a custom build like I did. Good luck!

18. chucke99

chucke99 Member

I just spent a few minutes on the GC website and picked what looked to be a good modeling amp. These days everything is built to a basic level of quality. You could get a Peavy, Crate, or even, yes, a Fender or Gibson solid state amp and get something just as useful.

I didn't recommend the Classic Vibe Tele because a Tele is an unforgiving taskmaster to the uninitiated. But you're right, I hear it's a great guitar.

If you want an ES-335 type, go with an Ibanez AS-83, 93 or 103 (larger numbers equal higher quality and higher price). I have the AS-103 and it is all the 335 you'd ever need.

I just figured this "newbie" to the scene doesn't have the time to scour eBay for bargains, but certainly, with a $1,000 budget (or even $2,000) you could end up with a super-fine, totally pro setup in terms of Guitar/Amp/Effects.

19. Rockinrob86

Good point. I just like them because they are such an amazingly awesome deal.