Starting with a good clean tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by slabboard, Oct 11, 2006.

1. slabboard

slabboard Member

Is there a better clean out there for the money than the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?

I can always add pedals for OD and distortion, but I want to start with a good clean tone. All things considered (especially price), what else should I look at?

Thanks!

2. monstermike

monstermike Member

I'm not a fan of the Hot Rod amps, although some people are, so you'll probably get conflicting responses. The following is just my opinion...

For me, the Hot Rod amps have a dull, congested midrange thing, and they're really stiff. For cleans in the non-custom Fender price range, I would take a Fender Bassman RI, Deluxe Reverb, Super Reverb, Twin Reverb, Pro Junior, or just about anything else Fender makes (depending on required volume) over a Hot Rod. Outside of Fender, the best budget amps out there are Peavey's Classic series. I like the Delta Blues with one 15".

3. Onswah

Onswah Member

I'd say a SF Twin Reverb

4. dave s

dave s Member

New band I'm gigging with rehearses in the singer's studio that also doubles for his son's band as well. They have 2 HRD amps there we use when we rehearse.

I'm impressed with the tone on the amps. It seems when you first turn them on, they're kind of 'snappy' and the reverb is kind of 'boingy.' But when the amps warm up and start cooking a little, I have to agree the HRD puts out a pretty high-quality clean tone.

Not enough to make me dump my VOX AC30CC2 with Blues or my Matchless for an HRD, :AOK but nice tone nonetheless.

dave

5. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I think the Hod Rod series of amps feel easy to play,
    The clean channel and boost for that matter ARE midrange focused but the guitar IS all mid frequencies and therefore the amp will cut through in a mix better for it.

SRV had a good sound didnt he?
    He had one of those mid focused screamers.

I reckon they're a cool amp, made like to Blues Junior build wise
    They just dont work that well for me though.

6. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

+1 on the DRRI. I loved mine, often wish I hadn't sold it. A great, affordable, grab and go amp.

Pete

7. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your point, but just about every aspect of SRV's equipment was heavily modifed (except for his Dumble amp)

8. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

With all due respect, that is such a loaded question. "For the money" can be defined so many different ways. I personally don't like any of Fender's current offerings for what they are OR for the money...

a Clark Beaufort Special for under $1000 or an Allen Accomplice for around $1200-$1300 sounds so much better than anything Fender offers (to me) that they are much better deals "for the money"

9. riffmeister

riffmeister Gold Supporting Member

Tone King Meteor II is the ticket for me. Not inexpensive, but it has stopped me from spending on other amps. So in that sense, for me, it is a good amp for the money. That and it is the best clean amp I've ever played.

10. T. Caster

T. Caster Member

I much prefer the clean channel of the Blues Deluxe Reissue to that of the Hot Rod series. A much warmer tone to my ears.

Dan

11. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

How about a Bassman head?

12. bluesmain

bluesmain Member

For the money is one aspect of will it work for the gig and make you happy with your sound. I agree with Mike that if your looking for a thrifty clean tweed tone, the peavey classic series is tough to beat.They are great working amps and very reliable.

my .02,

Johnny

13. slabboard

slabboard Member

Okay, how about "for $500 or less?" Is that still a loaded question? I'd have no trouble finding a suitable amp in your range of $1000 to $1300 -- my challenge is finding one at less than half that price.

14. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

At $500 or less? hmmmm I'll have to think about that one...

15. jakins

jakins Member

just a few hundred more, id go with the bassman ltd + pedals. its a GREAT platform...if you dont use the reverb on the hot rod, and you want some balls to the sound at times, i think the ltd is a great deal.

16. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

I 'spose, to me, for $500 I'd get a used Blues Jr for around $275, have it modded, and put a new speaker in it and upgrade the tubes with some used but tests great NOS Mullard 12AX7 tubes

17. Boogs

Boogs Member

For one amp, to get great cleans (which I love), for little money (which I have), I would get...

1) Peavey Classic 30 ($350 eBay)

2) Eminence GB12 - it's 8 ohm (not the 16 ohms the amp usually expects), so put a dummy plug in the external output which triggers the 8 ohm tap ($70)

3) JJ EL84 power tubes ($34 at www.dougstubes.com)

4) one Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7 for the first preamp slot ($15 at Doug's), plus two JJ ECC83S for the second and third pre slots ($8 each at Doug's)

Total = $485 (plus shipping)

I used to use this very combo, and only sold it because I wanted to use heads/cabs for cleans. The GB12 is perfectly voiced for the Classic 30 (after it's broken in) - really sweet and classy clean sound, and also good with OD pedals. That tube combination sounds great-for-the-money in the amp as well..especially with one (slightly more expensive) Tung-Sol reissue in the all-important V1 slot.

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

No. There are not many that are better for ANY price.

19. strumminsix

strumminsix Supporting Member

I'm happy with it as a rehearsal amp. I've done a few mods and now it may be stage worthy:
    1 - new tubes (12dw7 in v2, the clean sees a 12ax7, the drive sees a 12au7)
    2 - did the jump across the mid pot as recommended on Justin's site
    3 - removed the 220k resistor that's in line with the bass pot

World of difference

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Every HR I have played and owned is totally scooped in the mids. How that can be called congested I have no idea. Mine is also the farthest thing from "stiff" in the world. While it has SS rectifier, it seems to have a loose power supply, and is less stiff than my vintage Pro reverb, super reverb or vibrolux. Have you played more than one or two? Maybe the bias was really cold?