State Farm covering Hobby Studio gear in NC

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by db9091, Mar 14, 2015.

1. db9091

db9091 Member

I don't do a business, this is just a personal hobby. I was told by State Farm that I need an add-on to my homeowners for Personal Article Policy.

It's very cryptic to get exact information from them, but basically they said I need to list everything and it's worth (and I assume serial numbers would help if available) BUT they said I need to get an "appraisal" for everything over $1000

This seem ridiculous to me. I don't have Vintage gear I'm trying to cover. Just regular gear, like say a 2012 Gibson LP Trad Plus which would be fine IF they got a 2016 replacement (only issue is apparently THEY buy it, which suggests I don't get a chance to even try them first? But one can always return/rebuy since they mentioned GC)

I thought this was only necessary for Vintage or Custom or Collectible items.

Anyone else cover their gear from State Farm, and particularly in NC that can explain how they went about itemizing and what this coverage REALLY means?

2. mattball826

mattball826 Member

see if a local music store will help out. our local mompop shop will see this from time to time.

if you have orig receipts that is good enough for most policies. if you buy gear that does not appreciate, i wouldn't bother with a rider.

in the event of a fire, you should have enough coverage for these items. for theft, perhaps not. they don't often cover amps, guitars and so on via home owners policy. if it's one or two maybe, but not like many on tgp with 12 amps, and 15 guitars.

i have a lot of gear but most of it depreciates value or i bought them really cheap during "fire sales" after new products were out. a few nice guitars that have good value, and some old amps, but nothing really worth having a rider policy specific for gear.

this gear should be no different than guys that are into photography. cameras and lenses are popular theft items as well. sometimes more than jewelry.

call your agent. see what they recommend.

3. db9091

db9091 Member

Well the agent recommended that "Personal Articles Policy" because while I would be protected from a fire, I wouldn't be for theft or partial home damage (tree falling on studio portion)

The issue is, the home owners doesn't offer replacement, nor does it cover musical items above a certain amount, hence the extra insurance.

But I'm balking at appraisals for regular items readily available at large music stores over $1k.

4. Zuper

Zuper Supporting Member

If you're worried about having full coverage on those items, I would recommend a separate policy with Heritage Insurance. They specialize in insuring music instruments and related gear. Their policy is quite reasonable, and they are great to deal with.

5. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

Indeed, they are the **ONLY** place to go.

Just do it.

6. JackJordan

JackJordan Member

I used a company that deals exclusively with instruments as well (can't remember if it was Heritage or not), and they were much easier to deal with and much cheaper than what it would have cost if I added it to my home insurance policy.

7. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

8. EelEye

EelEye Member

Heritage again.

Don't waste your time with State Farm or any of the standard carriers.

9. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I agree.

We have AAA, and I was surprised they were so good to work with. Serial numbers, photos, etc. I figured I'd go with Heritage, as I have in the past. Not necessary this time, but this is something they specialize in, so I'd suggest using them if your primary is difficult to work with.

10. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

I have collectibles insurance from, uh, Collectibles Insurance http://collectinsure.com/ and they insure everything collectible, from stamp collections to barbed wire collections and everything else in between. (Yes, there are quite a few maniacs that collect barbed wire; some antique bales of it can go for 10's of thousands of dollars!)

They also do stringed instruments with no deductibles. They cover shipping damage and loss, theft, fire, etc. No more paying for UPS or USPS insurance! The policies are for dollar amounts, not specific items unless they are valued over a certain amount, say $5K each. (Then they have to be listed on the policy.) I certainly recommend that everyone keep a list of all their stuff with pics, current values and serial numbers; that should not even have to be talked about, but I insist! :aok

Their prices are reasonable and they are a pleasure to work with. I have no skin in their game, but I want everyone to know they have options.

Just a PSA.

HMTM

11. db9091

db9091 Member

Here is what is strange to me.

I'm being asked to get appraisals for:

1) Kemper profiling amp (even tho it's electronics)
    2) Macbook Pro 13" w/software (who appraises a modern laptop?!?)
    3) Yamaha Motif Rack XS

Do ANY of you guys have to get appraisals for ALL equipment over $1,000 even if it's just an electronic device?

12. c94123

c94123 Supporting Member

Didn't have to get a single appraisal for anything with Heritage. Simply provided replacement cost of all items (all of which were readily verifiable or easy enough to approximate). Don't have any vintage gear though. Heritage didn't question any of the values and I evaluate them annually if they need to change. I had a lot of gear too - numerous guitars, studio equipment, amps, modelers, pedals, etc.

13. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

No appraisals. Zero.

Sounds like it is time to find an alternate insurance company.

14. Guitarzandstuff

Guitarzandstuff Silver Supporting Member

15. RupertB

RupertB Supporting Member

http://www.clarionins.com/ or Heritage.

Homeowners insurance companies don't want to write this kind of insurance. Most will do it but only on terms that are certain to be favorable to the company (eg. not you). Save yourself the headache & money and insure your gear through Clarion or Heritage.