State of the ZZTop concert in 2018

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by pete692, Jan 29, 2018.

1. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'm not sure what the ZZ production is like now, but I saw them on the Rhythmeen tour, and they used tracks only on the Eliminator-Era stuff, for the synths, which was only about 25% of the show.

The rest was just the 3 of them, and they laid down as nasty a groove as any band I've ever seen, just ridiculous.

Crowder, Chrome Dinette and 2HBStrat like this.
  2. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

I saw them in ‘07, and it was more than just “synths.” Drum machine, rhythm guitar tracks while BG was soloing, the vocal on “legs,” which has been mentioned, bass lines (which count as “synth,” I guess, but what’s the difference, when it is pre-recorded?).

At some points, they could have walked off stage, and a full band would have still been coming out of the mains.

I love their early, pre-schtick records, and I’m glad I went and saw them once, but it’s not in the realm of great rock shows. Just a sometimes entertaining novelty act. It’s sad, given what they’re capable of.

It’s all about selling the product, at this point.

Crowder likes this.
  3. 27sauce

27sauce Member

When were they ever not a schtick act, or a “not selling a product” act?

Didn’t they drag livestock around the country whilst wearing Nudie suits?

There are just more tools available now to do the show they want to do. As soon as the tech was they, the implemented it.

stevemc and Chrome Dinette like this.
  4. GerryJ

GerryJ Member

I guess if playin' was all I ever did (or wanted to), and it was a choice at ~ age 70 between sitting out on the porch, or going out on a tour and bankin' a few more college or mortgage funds for my grandkids- I'd be out there too.
    Jerry Garcia mentioned one of the reasons they kept touring was so many people depended on them for a living.

sahhas likes this.
  5. Tiny Montgomery

Tiny Montgomery Supporting Member

I don’t include that in the “pre-schtick” era. There was definitely a progression. It wasn’t like they just woke up one day in the early 80’s and were exactly what they are now.

I was talking more about the first 3 records. Even on the tour you’re talking about, gimmicks aside, the music was still 100% live, as far as I’m aware.

I wasn’t meaning they didn’t sell a product. I just mean that it’s ALL about that, now, far as I can tell.

The goofy costumes and stage show don’t bother me. The canned music does.

6. Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob Member

and a buzzard or two on a chain

27sauce likes this.
  7. p-ninety

p-ninety Member

Say what you will about the Top's recorded tracks; they've been doing that for a long time.

Find and listen to the live King Biscuit Flower Hour Show they did in the 80s, particularly "Cheap Sun Glasses," where you can plainly hear the keyboard part during the Rev's solos.

So what?

I'm a huge fan of what they do, and how they do it, and I don't think they need a defense or even an explanation. It's show business, not an art project, though there's a ton of art in it.

If you prefer an art project, I'm good with that, too.

There's not many better than the the Mule; every night's a new construction. I totally admire what they do, too, night after night.

Neither act really needs a defense if you don't confuse them.

8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

I've seen ZZ Top many times over the years, and twice in the past three years, and here are my thoughts......Yes, they use supplemental sounds, particularly on the "Sharp Dressed Man" era stuff, and there ARE some additional rhythm guitar parts on certain songs, but.....most of the show seemed, to me, to be performed live. OTOH the overall appearance to me is that they are winding down somewhat, so.....go see them while you can.....

9. Mule

Mule Member

The thing missed on this thread is that the only ones who give a hoot about the use backing tracks and synths are musicians. Your average ZZ Top fan could care less as long as they play the hits and spin fuzzy guitars.

Nebakanezer likes this.
  10. Riverrat84

Riverrat84 Member

ZZ Top has always been a little "slight of hand" Read the write up on their first album about not having overdubs. Then listen to it....... I still like em though just have to take em for what they are.

2HBStrat likes this.
  11. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Yes, and I bought that first album, having never heard of them, based on that statement about no overdubs.....Like you, I liked what they were doing and accepted that there was some unharmful fibbing going on much of the time with them.....

12. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

Is this the pre-schtick era? I like it!

dazar, wntbtw and corbs like this.
  13. Tony

Tony Supporting Member

Mule was fantastic. Really dug them.

I dunno. I got several free tickets in the Ticketmaster class action settlement and used two of them for a nice spring evening up on the lawn with my daughter and some rock and roll... yeah, Top was a little disappointing but it didn’t ruin my day or anything. I would’ve enjoyed more of a raw rock and roll show but they are what they are and that’s fine.

Tiny Montgomery likes this.
  14. beachbum0711

beachbum0711 Supporting Member

Not only do they use tracks but the stage amps are fake and so are most of the effects pedals. The Rev did not really play through all of those stacked Expandoras. I think you have to suspend disbelief to enjoy their show.

I saw them closing Clapton's Crossroads concert in Dallas and thought they were the weakest act of the entire weekend. They looked so small up on that big stage and they sounded small and thin was well. Maybe Billy needs to bulk up.

But I do like a lot of their music.

15. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Doesn't he use Marshall pre amps?

16. loudboy

loudboy Member

This is audio only, but it shows the glory of Billy, when he was still using the Marshalls. IMHO, when he was on his game, the equal of any blues/rock player out there.

17. tazzboy

tazzboy Supporting Member

I was going to see them last year with Doobie Brothers on Tour here in Eugene, but the damn fires we had filled the whole valley with smoke so it made impossible to go outside and breath in. Hopefully this year the come through again and can go see them.

18. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

It ain’t going to sound like this anymore:

19. beachbum0711

beachbum0711 Supporting Member

Last I saw, all his equpment, including the Marshall preamps, are behind the stage. He also had a whole string of Expandora pedals wired together onstage at one time.