Static sound coming from my Telecaster Deluxe

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Lution, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Lution

Lution Member

It started happening about 2 weeks ago with my Telecaster Deluxe RI. Whenever I play single notes it sounds ok, but for instance if I strum a Bm chord or lightly chug a chord playing on the clean channel, I get this static type sound. almost like a bad instrument cord, but it's rythmic with the strumming I make.

I've checked cables, everything is ok. switched to a different guitar, it doesn't recreate the sound, on the Tele Deluxe does.

What could it be?

Thanks -Lution

2. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Chances are the problem is static generated by rubbing your fingers arcross the pickguard when playing chords. Try rubbing your fingers across the pickguard and see if it can be duplicated.

The solution usually requires shielding the control cavity and the underside of the pickguard with shielding paint, or copper/aluminum tape. One quick but temporary fix I've heard of is rubbing a dryer anti-static sheet across the surface of the pickguard.

3. Mak

Mak Member

Try playing on a hard floor.... Or changing your shoes. No seriously... A lot of static problems are caused by standing on or wearing man made materials ... Try playing with different shoes on.

Mak.

4. Lution

Lution Member

actually i was playing on my hardwood floor and my shoes were off.

this is really strange!

5. screamtone

screamtone Supporting Member

I've heard of people in cold climates have this problem a lot because central heat takes all of the humidity out of your house. I've also heard of people taking their pickguards off and spraying them with Static Guard. Don't know if it works, but I've heard about it.

6. Lution

Lution Member

interesting. I might give that a try. I was also told to wipe a dryersheet on my pickgaurd too.

Any thing I should stay away from when spraying the pickguard? :eek:

7. Lution

Lution Member

well i sprayed my pickguard with Staticguard and wiped it down. took care of the problem..... and now my dress doesn't cling to the guitar too! :dude

8. Chris Rice

Chris Rice Member

My dad has this problem with almost every guitar. Shielding doesn't fix it, and he gets static on guitars without a pickguard!

Keeping a dryer sheet in the case helps a little also, but the main thing is to maintain enough humidity.

9. co-intelpro

co-intelpro Member

I was getting static from my VOX AC30 and my tele because the Power cord was shite...try switching that out...

10. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I would just rub the pickgard with the palm of my hand for a few strokes.

(yes, I know what I wrote!)

11. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

fascinating, I think this is happening to me right now with my strat...gonna go find my dryer sheets!