Stealth Hawk by Chapin

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by pjs ire, Jan 31, 2006.

1. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Check out my new "stealth" Hawk just finished by Bill. You can see a pic of it at www.destroyallguitars.com. Click on Chapin, than on Hawk. Mine is the red Hawk with all black hardware and two p-90's. It has a black limba back. I'll defer to Bill for the rest of the specs. Bill says it has a "Cream" vibe to the sound. Should be in my hands this Friday!

2. trisonic

trisonic Member

Another newbie?

Aah, wait 'til you try the neck......
    I shouldn't say that because Chapin Guitars are definitely a coherent whole.

Best, Pete.

3. Tone Disciple

Tone Disciple Gold Supporting Member

Great looking guitar Paul! Please give us a review when it arrives. Cliff is a great person to deal with - one of the best!

4. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

congrats. you are going to love that guitar.

5. abergdahl

abergdahl Member

Bill does it again :dude . Very nice, solid carve top set neck ??

6. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Hey Anders- nice guitar youself! Not sure on all the specs- the neck is a bolt on and I think carved from one piece of wood. Shades, we need help here!

7. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    Looks nice. That is a crazy looking bridge what is it?

Chuck

8. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Hey Procos- the bridge is called "a mini grand piano" bridge. All metals on the guitar are black in color, including the tuners. The binding is black as well. It's kind of understated, yet has a "stealth" quality. As I remember, the back is made out of a 45 year old piece of black limba. I wanted a guitar that would "blend in", but when played, result in people saying- "What the hell is that guy playing!"

9. pjs ire

pjs ire Member

Procos- if you look at Ander's guitar, which is the blue Fatline Hawk on the same site, you will see the chrome version of this bridge.

10. Shades

Shades Member

Actually, it is a set neck. The 9/16" thick carved top is 45 year old maple, the 1 3/16" back is black limba (around 12 years old.) The neck is White Korina with a 9-11" radius madagascar kingwood (rosewood) fingerboard, MOP shades/triangles inlay with abalone lenses, 24.625" scale, Stew Mac #149 frets, Hipshot Baby Grand bridge, Black Hardware, Black body binding, Belly cut, 2 Lollar P90s, 3 way gibby style toggle, one volume, one tone, Auracap tone cap. I didn't weigh it but I'd guesstimate its weight at a bit under 7 lbs. It has a really cool hybrid of Les Paul meets SG tones with a little more snap and wrangle.

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

That is a very cool looking bridge. Can you adjust intonation with it? I've never seen one in person. :)

12. Shades

Shades Member

Actually you can adjust the intonation 2 different ways. There are 2 screws that control the distance of the bridge back from the posts on each side and then there are individual adjustable saddles.