Steel block for my strat?? Help needed

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Mooncusser, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Hi all,

I have a Fender classic series 70's strat that I adore.
    I have upgraded the PUPs, tuners and so on...
    My question is, the vintage style trem comes with the pot metal bridge block. Is it possible for me to buy JUST a solid upgraded steel block without having to change over the whole tremelo system?
    If so, where can I buy thisand what do I actually ask for?
    Thanks for your time and take care,
    Mass

2. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Try callaham guitars. They make top quality steel trem blocks. I just ordered one -- should be here any day now. You can email them or call with any questions you've got.

http://www.callahamguitars.com

3. Mooncusser

Mooncusser Member

Thanks...

I may do that. I wasn't sure if you could just buy a replacement block, or you had to but the whole new manufactures assembly.
    By the way, I just put a "Made by MANN" bridge in a project strat, and was very impressed, any of you ever try this brand out?
    Take care,
    Mass

4. Bloozcat

Bloozcat Member

5. Curt

Curt Member

+1

I put a Callaham block on my strat and it made a hellava difference.

6. matte

matte Senior Member

just went through 3 blocks. ended up with a titanium block from allparts and i love it (for an ash body maple V neck strat).

7. stekks

stekks Member

What do you like (better) about it?

8. Mullet Kingdom

I suggested callaham because he makes different blocks to fit different spacings and such. Without knowing what the measurements are it's entirely possible that the Allparts block won't fit.

He said his guitar is a "classic series '70s strat" which probably means it's an import model and that the bridge isn't the same as on the american made models etc.

9. Bruce O'D

Bruce O'D Member

John Mann made the one-piece trems for PRS guitars from 1985-1991. Back then his company was called MIL-COM Industries. I've never seen one stamped "Made by MANN", only "MannMade USA".

10. Mullet Kingdom

I just got my callaham block installed, to replace the zinc block, and wow did it make a difference. :)

It's not what I'd call a night and day difference but the weak, tinny high end is gone. Honestly, if this block hadn't made some kind of significant difference, with regard to the guitar-in-questions tone, I was ready sell the body and start over. Thanks to the new block that idea just got kicked out a sixth story window. :Devil

I'm not convinced that I need to replace a steel block with a callaham replacement block, and based on what I've heard from other players it's a waste of money, but replacing a zinc trem block with a steel one is totally worth it. :AOK