steel block

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by snake eyes, Mar 9, 2008.

1. snake eyes

snake eyes Member

2. eru

eru Member

Don't know about that one but people like the Callaham trem blocks (or whole assemblies) for replacing those on MIM strats. Searching should turn up something.

3. missing_dave

missing_dave Member

well the original is very soft..ive been looking into this alot lately...from what ive read it does help in sustain??...but id think that having a bunch of small changes to our MIM strats would add up to really having a "oh that sounds different " effect...

on a kinda related note i stripped my MIM down and just put a little stain on it.....big tone change..maybe the bridge being right on wood helps as they say helps?? just my .2

4. snake eyes

snake eyes Member

I thought about callaham. too expensive. Plus original trem bar won't work with it. $75 for block and bar.

5. catalinbread

catalinbread Member

Callaham bars alone are huge improvements over the stock. Tactilely they feel great to the touch and when you need to use it the bar doesn't give in. This said I am on the hunt for the entire Strat rig myself.

6. aaland_brian

aaland_brian Member

I bought that exact block from the same seller and it didn't fit exactly and the stock trem arm didn't work because it had different threads. I ended up sending it back and getting the callaham which works and sounds great.

7. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

Are you saying the trem arm that came on the Standard Strat (Mexican) didn't fit? If so, that block probably has the US threads, so you need to buy an $8 US trem arm for it, no big deal. I sent a message to Musicparts guru about that block, it comes on the new Highway 1 Strats. Does it screw to the plate for the Mexican Strat all right?

Thanks,
    Al

8. stonevibe

stonevibe Member

I have a couple of the Callaham blocks. One block on a Jap 50s reissue from 87 and the other a whole Callaham trem on another Jap though this time a 60s reissue from the late 80s.

I really like them and want to fit one to my SRV as they have really improved both my Jap Strats. I like the definition on chords and also the sustain seems stronger and more pronounced since I switched them.

I had the 50s reissue block in now for about two years and only recently put the whole trem set in the 60s reissue. So I have been able to compare and contrast with my other Strats.

I still have the old trems, blocks and you can see the difference in construction is huge. These upgrades made as much difference, if not more as when I changed the pups in the guitars.

I have a set of Fralin Vintage Hot in the 50s reissue and a set of Abigail Ybarra Custom Shop 69s in the 60s reissue. My 60s reissue is a lot darker sounding generally so the Callaham Trem and Block helps a lot with note definition.

Previously it had a Schaller vintage style Trem (as the original got destroyed in a house fire, along with the guitars finish!), which was really well made and had a good solid block. But the Callaham is a much better sounding unit in my opinion.

Well worth the outlay.

9. snake eyes

snake eyes Member

10. snake eyes

snake eyes Member

the improvement is amazing. the guitar is louder, more sustain, notes really ring out.

11. trisonic

trisonic Member

Have you checked the SRV? My (very early one) came with a Steel Block.

Best, Pete.

12. MAGICboy

MAGICboy Gold Supporting Member