Steel picks anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jo2012, May 6, 2015.

1. jo2012

jo2012 Member

I just ordered some of the Fender Steel Picks and I was wondering if anyone here has an experience with them or any metal picks in general? I've never used a metal pick before, so I'm just wondering what effect did it have on your playing or sound? I also play bass with a pick sometimes so are there any bassists out there who have tried them?

thanks!

2. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

I use metal picks about 75% of the time. I mainly use a coin cut to a jazz pick shape, a pick cut from a recycled cymbal or an anodized aluminum pick for regular playing and metal ProPik thumb and finger picks or brass Alaska picks for slide/fingerstyle.

With a metal pick you lose the give of a plastic pick so it has a different feel and attack to it. You'll probably hear that in your playing. You'll also hear some different pick on string sounds.

3. MetalHealth777

MetalHealth777 Member

My brother gave me a pair of 2014 quarters that were cut into picks for Christmas last year. I messed around with them for a little bit but I haven't seriously played with them. Back when I was experimenting with different pick types, I looked at the metal picks, but decided not to because people complained that they destroy strings and can really scratch the finish on your guitar. Again, I have no real experience with them, but that could be a concern.

4. tretremulant

tretremulant Member

I use metal dunlop thumb picks and have for a few years now. I played nothing but classical for about 5 years so when I transitioned back into electric playing it was an ongoing experiment with thumb picks trying to find one that enabled me to use all my fingers and wouldn't spin/slip on my thumb or have the back side of it hook underneath the string I just hit.

The dunlop one is perfect - though it didn't feel that way at the time. It was a little weird at first and took a little getting used to, but now I don't think I can use anything else. It stays very firmly in place on thumb, doesn't move around, and it doesnt matter if my hand gets sweaty or not.

For a while I used flatwound strings to try and compensate for the brightness of a metal pick. I ultimately decided to stick to round wounds though because I like the sound of round wounds with distortion more than flatwounds with distortion, and also because rounds are unanimously cheaper.

5. zul

zul Supporting Member

I used one in the eighties for awhile when I got sick of wearing out picks as a broke college student. Trouble is they eat up strings like crazy, which were far more expensive.

It does have a unique sound, not surprisingly, like a coin, or more ZZtop like, a peso.

Great for an alternative flavor, that's why picks are so important, but really expensive, and ultimately fatiguing to maintain for the reason stated above.

6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Member

Here are my metal picks, as mentioned above...

[​IMG]

A couple of other things...

They are a bit more expensive than regular picks and can be hard to find, even online, if you want a specific type. For example, the ProPiks have been out of stock for a long time at online retailers but I just happened to run across someone recently selling some lightly used ones on eBay.

As for string breakage and wear, I haven't had a significant issue with this, perhaps because I use 11's on most of my guitars. If you use 9's or 8's, it could be a bigger issue. Also, the picks themselves will wear some so you will need to file them slightly over time to remove burrs and such that can wear on strings.

7. rocknrob

rocknrob Member

I have some aluminium picks laying around...not really my thing. I like thicker picks but I like them to be just a little flexible as well. And most of all they don't sounds good to my ears, but that's just my opinion ;)

8. markjsmith

markjsmith Member

Like 'em for banjo, hate 'em for guitar!

9. Sweetfinger

Sweetfinger Supporting Member

Sonically the most memorable thing for me was that they added a "chirp" to the attack of every note. You can hear the same chirp on some of Tony Iommi's playing when he ostensibly was using metal picks. They chew up your strings and guitar. Also, the copper ones turned my fingers green.