• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

steel string supreme - a thread (Re: new statements from Mason/vertex)

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
UPDATE:
I copy/pasted some claims (including screenshots) Mason made about the use of the board he commissioned from LA Sound Design then advertised it as his work on his website.
also some statements about the Steel String being a AMZ FZ Jack Orman boost, AND the use of the FAKE Dumble in his Ultraphonics video. all this is on the first page below.

I'm just gonna leave this here..

+EDIT
no I'm not a vertex supporter, I just want to know what people think about ANOTHER SSS pedal?
homeboy Mason is once again using name drops he is far from associating with to sell product.
normally, I'd say this is rather harmless. countless builders hint at Gilmour to Hendrix influence in their pedals but... when Mason does it, it's straight up sleazy. Though now that I think about it Gilmour did send HIWATT a cease and desist and I'm sure if you used Hendrix's likeness without permission you could get some letters. it's not like he's using Mayers name on the actual pedal. Though he did use SRV's initials on a version of the Ultraphonix but calling it the 'Slight Return Version'.

what about these Guitar influencers who sling for him? What do Rhett and Gabriel think about the time Mason lied about; his engineering degree, working for BBE and designing the ben wah (not to bring up the Ben Wah debacle, because his BS in this community goes way beyond that), or when he took a board made by LA Sound Design then slapped Vertex stickers on it and advertised it as his own work on his website... or when he used a Dumble ODS CLONE in place of the real thing in his Ultraphonix shootout then when he was called out about it he just deleted comments when faced with the proof... or when he claimed the Steel String circuit was his own when it's just a Jack Orman AMZ FX Boost (again if you people who think this is about 'clones' come to the table with the 'everything is a clone' argument... DUH! but they don't hide it and call it their own unique circuit! infact Analogman actually credits Robbie Wallace and Jack Orman for the Bad Bob Boost and licensed it!

one could go on...
I just feel like every time there is a new Vertex pedal... the public should know about the mans previous work.
DISCLAIMER: don't get me wrong. I'm all for rehabilitation and people changing/learning. Mason has NOT done that. His post-Vertex/BBE Wah discretions almost equal the sh*t-human actions he displayed during the Wah debacle. He continues to play victim as if the gear community turned against him for no reason.

QUESTIONS!
#1 why do you think this man can't get a clue and dig himself out of this hole? even smart sociopaths know how to fake compassion.

#2 referring to Rhett and Gabriel... & other guitar influencers? how do you justify supporting such a piece of crap human?
(since Rhett and Gabriel will not respond...how do you think they justify this?) why associate your brand with such a sketchy man?

Last edited:

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
So is this a trolling thread?

There aren't any threads on his new pedal because everyone else had the sense to not bother.
no read my edit... there are actual questions I want answered... sorry I posted thinking I was going to add the questions later but then I realized my mistake by stirring the pot without preface.

I really do have questions on why this man is still 'thriving'... I know not everyone is on gear forums but you think the gear influencers would be smart enough not to associate their 'brand' with such a shiesty POS

InkblotNebula

no read my edit... there are actual questions I want answered... sorry I posted thinking I was going to add the questions later but then I realized my mistake by stirring the pot without preface.

I really do have questions on why this man is still 'thriving'... I know not everyone is on gear forums but you think the gear influencers would be smart enough not to associate their 'brand' with such a shiesty POS
Most gear influencers are just as shady as Mason.

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
Most gear influencers are just as shady as Mason.
I'm reluctant to believe that they are shady... I don't know why? I believe most people mean well. I believe most people think they are smart but I'm in my mid-thirties and starting to realize that most people dont even know what critical thinking is...

so I tend to lean towards the fact they were fed a story by mason.
I don't believe ANYONE other than old man robben would attach their name to a man who had a reputation on the internet as bad as Mason. Old man Robben (Mr. Ford) is old enough to not know the importance of the internet... but Rhett AND Gabriel definitely do! they know what their 'Brand' is and what is stands for. why would they attach their Brand to the' internet eye-sore... that is Mason Marangella?

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
@RACKDOCTOR I'm sorry I brought you into this... all the respect on your work and designs. I always just find your involvement in this story absolutely ludicrous... (ie: you making him a pedalboard and him advertising it on his website as his own)

so he responded with this in YouTube comments;
(I screen shot it because it's in a crap load of comments that I cannot link to... however it is in the comments of this video)

"Regarding LA Sound Design, I've seen an example of Dave tell this story and omit some key pieces of information that put a charitable topspin on his point of view. What I will say is that some LA-based pedalboard builders were quite keen to "gate keep" and diminish anyone who might compete with them during the late 2000's when Robert Bradshaw left a vacuum to fill when he consolidated his workload and moved out of The Valley, and ultimately to Pennsylvania. At the end of the day, all of us were putting guitar pedals on pieces of black laminated ply-wood, and some guys wanted a monopoly on that."

Mason responds to me bringing up using your work as his:
Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 1.39.02 AM.png

Last edited:

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
this is what Mason says about the Steel String vs: Jack Orman AMZ Boost

"You're right that some have contested that the Steel String is a direct copy of a circuit already in existence designed by Jack Orman (one of the "Godfathers" of analog effects pedals). The fact is, there ARE similarities between Orman's circuit and our Steel String pedal. Also (fact), the differences between these circuits are significant to the extent that most engineers or technicians with any objectivity would call them ostensibly "different" pedals - different component choices, different values, etc. The fact is, the Steel String is no more a copy of Orman's circuit than it is of any variation of twenty other circuits. It is the variations that can make one pedal so different from another - it is not the same sound and in the end (for practical purposes) is not the same design. The fact is, all values in the Steel String are different from the Orman circuit and the variable resistors (8 controls on the SSS compared to Orman's single volume control), number of knobs and toggles, and on the SSS it's an entire different output section with another circuit being added to the original Steel String and a second footswitch. The fact is, there is nothing in our design or in Orman's that had not been done before. Orman's circuit puts two different previous well known and widely used circuits together and gave it a name. This "mix-and-match" of circuits is ubiquitous and unavoidable across the pedal industry if you're in the business of analog distortion pedals. In this case clear back to the Application Notes in a National Semiconductors catalogue. The fact is, there are very few "new" design ideas out there, so we're all bound to tread on common ground no matter which direction we go. The Steel String series of pedals was designed to sound like a Dumble Steel String Singer - an amp we borrowed from a client of ours to accurately voice the pedal - just like we did the Dumble ODS and the Ultraphonix. We used the amp alongside a few different common circuit archetypes that we thought would approximate the sound. As we did listening sessions between the Dumble and the various circuits that we were tweaking to emulate it, we thinned the herd to the closest variations. I've never said that the Steel String is a ground breaking electronics feat, or that it was an original design, there are no real original designs when it comes to analog distortion devices. For the Steel String, we ended up with was a MuFET circuit that almost identically replicated the sound of a Dumble Steel String Singer using the pedal through a 2x12 Fender Hot Rod DeVille. This is the only claim I've made, same as a Marshall in a Box pedal maker might say their pedal most closely resembles a Marshall Plexi. Everything on the Steel String pedals is all fully open for you to inspect for yourself and ID similarities between it any any other circuit if you have that ability yourself. If you have any sort of foundation in electronics, you'll understand how far back using MuFET's goes back and what I'm doing goes clear back to the late 60's or early 70's with guys like Craig Anderton and the National Semiconductors app notes. Guys have parsed this dozens of different ways over time, including Jack Orman. I buy some of Jack's stuff off his site for little kits and buffer implants for adding into certain pedals to stabilize their outputs for pedalboard applications. I'm buying in my company name, company Paypal account, business address, etc. Even exchanged some emails with him about discount pricing on his PCB kits. I've never once heard a word from him about any impropriety in any of my dealings or expressing any similarities between any pedal of ours resembling his. I suspect it's not even on his radar, and if it were, he understands he didn't invent the MuFET or using them to create distortion."

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.02.08 AM.png

Last edited:

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
this is what Mason says about the legitimacy of the Dumble ODS used in his Ultraphonix video:

"Regarding the Ultraphonix, we had two videos showing the Dumble ODS side by side the pedal. One was taken down for copyright reasons, the other one survives with one of Jackson Browne's Dumble ODS's: HERE. Strangely enough, the Dumble that has been called into question, has been featured regularly by Doug Doppler and others on YouTube and gear forums with ZERO claims or speculation of its authenticity long before I ever put out a video with my pedal and this particular Dumble ODS. Here's one: HERE, here's another: HERE, and another: HERE, and another: HERE. Also on forums here: LINK, and here: LINK, and here: LINKThe bottom line is, NOBODY was contesting the amplifier authenticity for years until I put out the video showing it alongside a pedal that came extremely close, sonically, to the original amplifier. It should also be noted that the individuals that began circulating the rumor that the ODS amplifier used in the video was a "fake" were all Dumble clone amplifier manufacturers themselves. They have a vested interest in protecting their livelihoods - e.g. their dismissiveness of the video is underwritten by the fact that such a video is bad for their business - showing a $200 pedal versus a $100,000 amp that can be "cloned" by many of these amp makers for $3,000 to $5,000."

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 2.05.37 AM.png

Last edited:

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
I don't see an actual problem with the Vertex SSS being a clone based around the Jack Orman booster. I think the actual problem is the marketing that is happening around the pedal, i.e. "engineered alongside an original Dumble SSS" and so on. That's just shady.
completely agreed...
there is NOTHING wrong with using a circuit to start your pedal design but by no means does it make it a unique design (AS HE CLAIMED) or being significant as engineering along side a Dumble SSS. it's like saying... guys, I made my uniquely designed pedal to sound like Ken Fischer's Liverpool when you used someone else's VOX AIAB circuit and added more gain and a different tone stack. Him making a clone is not the criticism, it never was...

Last edited:

Trending Topics