• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

steel string supreme - a thread (Re: new statements from Mason/vertex)

loocnmad

What seems different to me about this masonic character is that the Rhetts and the RJs of his world all (and I mean ALL) preface their shillings by saying “My friend, Mason Mangella...”). That’s just bizarre! Are they really all friends that bonded over some insecurities? Are they paid to stick that exact phrase in their vids? Is there some bizarre NXIUM-like sex-cult brainwashing going on? Whatever’s going on, it’s very cringe-y. Caveat emptor!
There's a very simple answer, money. "Influencers", and I really hate that term, are nothing more than paid advertisements whether it be from ad revenue, direct payments/free gear, or business connections. A video on Vertex's youtube channel features Rhett playing one of their pedals. He was most likely paid for that performance, though I can't say for sure, and that's fine. He's a talented guitar player and musicians have to perform to get paid. However, he's not a household name or a platinum recording artist. If he was to start turning down those offers, it would have a direct impact to his bottom line.

For example:
Let's say Mason paid me to make a video about one of his pedals so he could use it as part of Vertex's marketing. He still has other pedals and products out there that he wants to advertise. If I say nice things about him and his products in my personal videos, it's that much more likely I'll get his repeat business. I'll also be seen as a friendly and reliable outlet to other manufacturers. I may not get a big engagement from the likes of BOSS but with enough contacts at smaller companies it all starts to add up.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
For example:
Let's say Mason paid me to make a video about one of his pedals so he could use it as part of Vertex's marketing. He still has other pedals and products out there that he wants to advertise. If I say nice things about him and his products in my personal videos, it's that much more likely I'll get his repeat business. I'll also be seen as a friendly and reliable outlet to other manufacturers. I may not get a big engagement from the likes of BOSS but with enough contacts at smaller companies it all starts to add up.
Maybe. Or, you could turn down Mason's offer, and instead present yourself as a person of integrity -- one who viewers and other builders can trust, leading to more opportunities with the best companies.

guy8string

*Updated after recommendations from other forum members*

Mason’s Greatest Hits Scams?
1a.) BBE wah scam
*1b.) Cease and desist letters to TGP members who exposed the scam (hat tip @hunter )
2.) Belden cable scam
*3.) Dynamic Distortion SD9 scam (hat tip @Jim Marciano )
4.) @RACKDOCTOR affair
5.) Passing off a Paul Trombetta fuzz as the Vertex 109 Fuzz
*6.) Vertex Boost expression jack design lie: “out of the audio path” (hat tip @dhdfoster )
7.) Boss FV-500 volume pedal mod scam
8.) “I’ve got a EE from Berkeley“
9.) “Berkeley d/c’d their EE program”
10.) Bonamassa affair
11.) “I modeled this pedal after the Dumble” (not a Dumble in video)
12.) “I modeled this pedal after a Dumble” (actually a Jack Orman circuit design)
13.) Name-dropping/claiming artist endorsement where there is none
*14.) Demoing dangerous amp mods, showboating as the RIGDOCTOR (hat tip @Jim Marciano )
15.) rinse, lather, repeat without remorse

Last edited:

Jim Marciano

Silver Supporting Member

1.) BBE wah scam
2.) Belden cable scam
4.) RACKDOCTOR affair
6.) Boss FV-500 volume pedal mod scam
7.) “I’ve got a EE from Berkeley“
8.) “Berkeley d/c’d their EE program”
9.) Bonamassa affair
10.) “I modeled this pedal after the Dumble” (not a Dumble in video)
11.) “I modeled this pedal after a Dumble” (actually a Jack Orman circuit design)
12.) Name-dropping/claiming artist endorsement where there is none
13.) rinse, lather, repeat without remorse
Not exactly suspect or a scam but there was the time he made a video talking about how to upgrade your amp I think it was a deluxe reverb and one of his tips was to clip a part because vintage amps didn't have that and it doesn't do anything and the comments section blew up, a few amp makers (I want to say Dave friedman but I don't remember that well) pretty much explained what it is was for, why it was important and to never do that...rig doctor strikes again

coltranemi2012

Silver Supporting Member
Not exactly suspect or a scam but there was the time he made a video talking about how to upgrade your amp I think it was a deluxe reverb and one of his tips was to clip a part because vintage amps didn't have that and it doesn't do anything and the comments section blew up, a few amp makers (I want to say Dave friedman but I don't remember that well) pretty much explained what it is was for, why it was important and to never do that...rig doctor strikes again
It was John suhr and fryette from what I recall. Amp was a hot rod deluxe I think

hunter

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, isn't it weird when a whole bunch of people, who you'd think would have integrity and self-respect, who seemingly would value their reputation and their legacy and who you'd think would know better, sell their souls (so to speak) to a man who is clearly a self-centered scam artist, a liar and is essentially unqualified for his job?
Folks that were around probably remember, that is the way the Vertex guy gamed folks on the page. Always referring to them as "my friend", "my buddy" "my pal" when really these were just folks that he hoped to scam in the future or had already scammed. I imagine that habit is still with him and probably is rubbing off on his compensated demo video players. All fake to the core.

One thing that is hard to explain in a sentence is how he abused TGP folks who somehow believed he was their friend. Folks who fell on their sword for him. He lied to their faces (on the phone and in person) and got them to defend him here until his TGP dying day.

Many of his endorser relationships were and still are greatly exaggerated. They are paid advertisers. Or they never really cared about the product or used it but got coaxed into shooting a demo vid of them playing through it.

He routinely stuck the Vertex label on anything and everything. Even when he had nothing at all to do with building it.

And don't forget the cease and desist letters sent to TGP individuals who exposed some of his frauds.

In Absentia

I thought I was up to snuff on all the latest TGP scandals, but this is the first time I’ve heard of this. Thanks for saving my wallet from someone I’d rather not support.

dhdfoster

Gold Supporting Member

1a.) BBE wah scam
*1b.) Cease and desist letters to TGP members who exposed the scam (hat tip @hunter )
2.) Belden cable scam
4.) RACKDOCTOR affair
6.) Boss FV-500 volume pedal mod scam
7.) “I’ve got a EE from Berkeley“
8.) “Berkeley d/c’d their EE program”
9.) Bonamassa affair
10.) “I modeled this pedal after the Dumble” (not a Dumble in video)
11.) “I modeled this pedal after a Dumble” (actually a Jack Orman circuit design)
12.) Name-dropping/claiming artist endorsement where there is none
*13.) Demoing dangerous amp mods, showboating as the RIGDOCTOR (hat tip @Jim Marciano )
14.) rinse, lather, repeat without remorse
He originally marketed the Vertex Boost as having the expression pedal jack completely out of the audio path. It was a lie, and I’ve seen this lie repeated by a petty well-known guitarist that was obviously also lied to about it. He has since changed the marketing copy.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
Scammers seem to have the ability to get people to like them. You hear about it over and over with reference to financial schemes: "He was such a nice guy, everybody liked him!" So, I guess I can't fault people who don't spend any time on the internet looking at reviews for not knowing that the friendly, humble(ish) guy offering them a few bucks or a pedal is a serial scammer. It IS frustrating, though, that people who aren't very nice so often seem to succeed, at least for a time.

ben777

For all the drama here this pedal sounds pretty darn good in both videos.

But then again most here hate John Mayer deep into their bones too, and the demos sound like him right?

I've never bought anything from Vertex but this place makes me want to sometimes.

Tiny Montgomery

Silver Supporting Member

But then again most here hate John Mayer deep into their bones too, and the demos sound like him right?

I've never bought anything from Vertex but this place makes me want to sometimes.
People talking about a scammer makes you want to support a scammer? Weird.

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
looks like he deleted the original video but here is the reupload

Last edited:

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member

go ahead.

just remember this

"
1a.) BBE wah scam
2.) Belden cable scam
4.) @RACKDOCTOR affair
*6.) Vertex Boost expression jack design lie: “out of the audio path” (hat tip @dhdfoster )
7.) Boss FV-500 volume pedal mod scam
8.) “I’ve got a EE from Berkeley“
9.) “Berkeley d/c’d their EE program”
10.) Bonamassa affair
11.) “I modeled this pedal after the Dumble” (not a Dumble in video)
12.) “I modeled this pedal after a Dumble” (actually a Jack Orman circuit design)
13.) Name-dropping/claiming artist endorsement where there is none
*14.) Demoing dangerous amp mods, showboating as the RIGDOCTOR (hat tip @Jim Marciano )
15.) rinse, lather, repeat without remorse

"

thanks @guy8string

I feel like getting yelled at by Jon Suhr and Steven Fryette in his own comments section because he tells his following to clip out a component of the amp that doesnt do anything but it does. should be number #15

Trending Topics