steel string supreme - a thread (Re: new statements from Mason/vertex)

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, I’m not a fan of his music or his vibe at all, but saying the man can’t play is just silly.
neither am I but there are some of his songs / albums that I can actually appreciate for his song writing and production.

after he got over being an ego maniac (kinda understand, I have no clue what I'd do if I got that famous, I mean Taylor Swift and Katy Perry? the dudes done the impossible)) he is actually quite hilarious. his instagram show is funny as hell as is his interviews and general banter.

maybe I'm just swooning for the shiny 100k amps ?

DexterT

One mistake is one thing. This guy is a serial liar and the hits keep on coming. It takes a lot for pro players to come out against you but this guy has several pros including Joe Bonamassa all coming out against him and his lies.
What did joe say about him?

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
RJ is an embarrassment at this point.

agreed...

RJ, Rhett Shull should know better... I don't know bout this Gabriel kid, he looks young and basically has exactly John Mayers rig and guitars (including a super eagle, not cheap) so I feel bad for him but working musicians like RJ, Rhett, Zapata etc... should know better than to trust their 'brand/reputation' with Mason.

DewieCox

Silver Supporting Member
agreed...

RJ, Rhett Shull should know better... I don't know bout this Gabriel kid, he looks young and basically has exactly John Mayers rig and guitars (including a super eagle, not cheap) so I feel bad for him but working musicians like RJ, Rhett, Zapata etc... should know better than to trust their 'brand/reputation' with Mason.
They’re virtually nameless faces that play along guys with actual reputations.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
agreed...

What you don't realize is between these guys, they've done trade offs for mentions on each others' YouTube channels. So Mason does their boards and in trade, the use his products while at the same time they also show their boards on their channel. Mason also ask manufacturers for free products and in trade will use them on his channel as free advertisement via builds, mentions and hype.

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
What you don't realize is between these guys, they've done trade offs for mentions on each others' YouTube channels. So Mason does their boards and in trade, the use his products while at the same time they also show their boards on their channel. Mason also ask manufacturers for free products and in trade will use them on his channel as free advertisement via builds, mentions and hype.
I do know and realize this.
and mason most definitely plays this game very well.

it just baffles me.

Frankentar

Total noob on forums here guys so go easy on me...

I picked up the SSS from Sweetwater and there is absolutely nothing special about this pedal and the claims are a bit ridiculous. I figured if Sweetwater is dealing with Vertex and the demos do have it sounding good, maybe he has changed and this thing is actually worth the time of day (and a decent amount of change). I'm returning it based on sound (not that great, my FB v1 can pretty much do what this thing does) and I just cant be supporting someone with this past, even if he has changed. I knew this before buying it, but I dont feel good about keeping it even IF it sounded good.

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
Total noob on forums here guys so go easy on me...

I picked up the SSS from Sweetwater and there is absolutely nothing special about this pedal and the claims are a bit ridiculous. I figured if Sweetwater is dealing with Vertex and the demos do have it sounding good, maybe he has changed and this thing is actually worth the time of day (and a decent amount of change). I'm returning it based on sound (not that great, my FB v1 can pretty much do what this thing does) and I just cant be supporting someone with this past, even if he has changed. I knew this before buying it, but I dont feel good about keeping it even IF it sounded good.

condolences on the wasted time and shipping money.

LikeAMotherF

Gold Supporting Member
go ahead.

just remember this

"
Mason’s Greatest Hits Scams?
1a.) BBE wah scam
*1b.) Cease and desist letters to TGP members who exposed the scam (hat tip @hunter )
2.) Belden cable scam
*3.) Dynamic Distortion SD9 scam (hat tip @Jim Marciano )
4.) @RACKDOCTOR affair
5.) Passing off a Paul Trombetta fuzz as the Vertex 109 Fuzz
*6.) Vertex Boost expression jack design lie: “out of the audio path” (hat tip @dhdfoster )
7.) Boss FV-500 volume pedal mod scam
8.) “I’ve got a EE from Berkeley“
9.) “Berkeley d/c’d their EE program”
10.) Bonamassa affair
11.) “I modeled this pedal after the Dumble” (not a Dumble in video)
12.) “I modeled this pedal after a Dumble” (actually a Jack Orman circuit design)
13.) Name-dropping/claiming artist endorsement where there is none
*14.) Demoing dangerous amp mods, showboating as the RIGDOCTOR (hat tip @Jim Marciano )
15.) rinse, lather, repeat without remorse

"

thanks @guy8string

I feel like getting yelled at by Jon Suhr and Steven Fryette in his own comments section because he tells his following to clip out a component of the amp that doesnt do anything but it does. should be number #15
I really enjoyed it when the tower of lies about the BBE wah was beginning to crumble around him, and when it became absolutely clear that we he was just gooping a BBE product, he started to say that he actually *did* design it; he did the original designs that BBE used for them, but he wasn't allowed to discuss it because he had signed an NDA agreement.

It's hilarious, because even if that were true (and it absolutely wasn't) it still would be completely immoral to goop and sell them at an upcharge. The logic was so deeply flawed and the attempts at saving face were so desperate that at the time you almost wanted to believe him- who would boldly lie about something so dumb and so easily disproven?!

Lololol

Oh, Mason. What are we going to do with you?

rmendozajr

completely agreed...
there is NOTHING wrong with using a circuit to start your pedal design but by no means does it make it a unique design (AS HE CLAIMED) or being significant as engineering along side a Dumble SSS. it's like saying... guys, I made my uniquely designed pedal to sound like Ken Fischer's Liverpool when you used someone else's VOX AIAB circuit and added more gain and a different tone stack. Him making a clone is not the criticism, it never was...

Yup this right here. A lot of new pedals are just rehashes of existing pedals with slight mods here and there. I've had so many different tube screamer variants it isn't funny...but its the marketing that he uses that bothers me now.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
The guy is a sociopathic parasite.
It's so odd that Sweetwater appears to be all-in with Mason. Another new SW video with Mason popped in my YT feed today. They are nearly constantly promoting him and his products. I just don't get it. Of all people to get in bed with (so to speak). Very, very strange.

sonichronic

Silver Supporting Member
Surprisingly, no shipping charges incurred. Shipped free to me and got the hook up on the return. Time has been wasted that I'll never get back lol
time is money. I fully believe this. I never understood this until I had to start adding my travel time to my salary. I used to leave work at 2am in NYC (when all the trains decide to go t0 45 min wait times) and I had 3 trains to take home... on a bad night I'd end up at home at 5am when I'd have to wake up at 10am to get back to work by noon. it was DEFINTIELY worth it to take the $30 cab ride home (some nights) to get a decent nights sleep.

TIME IS MONEY!

MASON!!! GIVE THIS MAN HIS MONEY BACK! ;)

Trending Topics