Steely Dan guitarists?

choucas09

I'm having a bit of an SD evening and want to know which guitarists played on what? I tried Google, but there was no succinct answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bob-i

I'm having a bit of an SD evening and want to know which guitarists played on what? I tried Google, but there was no succinct answer. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I saw an interview where they said they really didn't remember who played what on many cuts. They'd record a bunch of guys doing the same part and just pick the track they liked best.

Matt L

Can't Buy A Thrill, Countdown To Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic-

Mostly Denny Dias, Skunk Baxter, with Elliott Randall on a few solos, Rick Derringer slide on Show Biz Kids, Dean Parks and possibly Becker on Pretzel Logic (East St Louis Toodle-Oo is said to be his first appearance on guitar, Skunk does the pedal steel)

Katy Lied-same, plus Larry Carlton and Hugh McCracken, Becker on Black Friday

Royal Scam-lots of Carlton, Dean Parks brilliant talkbox solo on Haiitian Divorce, Dias and Randall on Green Earrings, probably Becker in there.

Aja-Carlton, Jay Graydon (Peg solo), Dean Parks, Lee Ritenour, Steve Khan, Dias, Becker

Gaucho-Mark Knopfler (Time Out of Mind), Steve Khan (Glamour Profession), Larry Carlton, Hugh McCracken, Hiram Bullock, Rick Derringer and Becker (Hey Nineteen and Gaucho solos)

Last edited:

Eezz

There's a Steely Dan biography with quite a lot of info on who played what called "Steely Dan - Reelin' in the Years". I bought it on iBooks; interesting read for Steely Dan fans.

choucas09

Thanks for all the info guys. I now realise what a difficult question it was to answer as they used so many. Anyway it has to be said those early albums were mind blowing. Incredible standards of writing, musicianship And production.

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Yes!
Herington and Zingg!
And Wayne Krantz toured with them a time or two!
I've seen all 3 of these guys live with the Dan.

S.
j

Wibcs39

Knopfler only played on a track or two, right? I have often seen him listed as a "Steely Dan guitarist" alongside Carlton, Baxter, etc which bugged me. Didn't he come in and track for like two hours and that was the extent of it? I love Knopfler and SD, I just don't think he did that much for them unless I am mistaken.

Matt L

Knopfler only played on a track or two, right? I have often seen him listed as a "Steely Dan guitarist" alongside Carlton, Baxter, etc which bugged me. Didn't he come in and track for like two hours and that was the extent of it? I love Knopfler and SD, I just don't think he did that much for them unless I am mistaken.
Yes, he only played on Time Out Of Mind on the Gaucho album.

Trending Topics