Steely Dan guitarists?

sdan

A lot of the solo and rhythm work was Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenhour and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter.
No Lee Ritenour on Steely Dan albums!
Can't Buy A Thrill, Countdown To Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic-

Mostly Denny Dias, Skunk Baxter, with Elliott Randall on a few solos, Rick Derringer slide on Show Biz Kids, Dean Parks and possibly Becker on Pretzel Logic (East St Louis Toodle-Oo is said to be his first appearance on guitar, Skunk does the pedal steel)

Katy Lied-same, plus Larry Carlton and Hugh McCracken, Becker on Black Friday

Royal Scam-lots of Carlton, Dean Parks brilliant talkbox solo on Haiitian Divorce, Dias and Randall on Green Earrings, probably Becker in there.

Aja-Carlton, Jay Graydon (Peg solo), Dean Parks, Lee Ritenour, Steve Khan, Dias, Becker

Gaucho-Mark Knopfler (Time Out of Mind), Steve Khan (Glamour Profession), Larry Carlton, Hugh McCracken, Hiram Bullock, Rick Derringer and Becker (Hey Nineteen and Gaucho solos)
Absolutely correct!

stbhorn

FROM http://www.post-gazette.com/ae/musi...eely-Dan-s-Pretzel-Logic/stories/201408070131 Yes. Sort of. For the first three albums, with guitarists Jeff “Skunk” Baxter and Denny Dias also on board. But the two principals were far more interested in songcraft than touring and indulged in studio perfectionism, to the frustration of the other musicians (who were being robbed of that opportunity to be on tour having fun and getting girls or whatever). Mr. Palmer was among the first to bail, as a more assured Mr. Fagen did all the lead vocals on the second album “Countdown to Ecstasy.” He left to form a band called Wha-Koo (not in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame). Michael McDonald was recruited for vocal support on “Katy Lied,” and for 1973-74 tours, the latter of which stopped at the Civic Arena on April 17, 1974. When Steely Dan ceased touring that July, the “band” dissolved, with the Baxter/McDonald team moving on to the Doobie Brothers. From that point on, Steely Dan leaned on pricey session players, including Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, Timothy B. Schmit, Wayne Shorter and Mr. McDonald.

With all due respect to Scott Mervis, who I like, I wouldn't hold his PG article as a 100% reliable and encyclopedic source of who did or didn't play on SD records.

Last edited:

Raygun Gothic

Aja (Title Track) - Dias/Becker/Dias
Don't Take Me Alive - Carlton
My Old School - Baxter does all the pinch harmonics in the outro
Do It Again - Dias does the electric sitar solo
Peg - Jay Graydon

To name some of the better know solos.

I remember reading an interview where Mark Knopfler was getting nerved up because Becker and Fagen were there in front of him in the studio during the "Time out of Mind" sessions where they were bantering back and forth "Can he do it? I don't know if he can do it" and the other one was bantering back "I don't know if he can do it either, maybe he can't do it - I thought he was supposed to be good?".

They are notorious taskmasters in the studio and the story of the track "The Second Arrangement" blows my mind (spent literally months in the studio polishing this track for the Gaucho record only to have a studio assistant accidentally erase 95% of the multitrack while preparing the track for playback) - I guess Fagen just walked out of the studio without a word afterwards. The track has a kind of interesting guitar arrangement - just a melody and a few well chosen "sting" notes.

The only remaining recording of that track is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of an audio cassette that was apparently used so Don and Walt could hear what the track sounded like in the automotive playback environment - I've also heard that it's a cassette dub of a rehearsal take:

Terry Hayes

They are notorious taskmasters in the studio and the story of the track "The Second Arrangement" blows my mind (spent literally months in the studio polishing this track for the Gaucho record only to have a studio assistant accidentally erase 95% of the multitrack while preparing the track for playback) - I guess Fagen just walked out of the studio without a word afterwards. The track has a kind of interesting guitar arrangement - just a melody and a few well chosen "sting" notes.

The only remaining recording of that track is a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of an audio cassette that was apparently used so Don and Walt could hear what the track sounded like in the automotive playback environment - I've also heard that it's a cassette dub of a rehearsal take:
Cool; thanks for posting that. I have read stories about "The Second Arrangement" before but never knew that there was ANY audio of it! It is interesting - something about this track reminds me more of "Morph The Cat" than the Gaucho record.

Schroedinger

All I know is that the guitar playing on My Old School, which I think was Denny Dias, is the best darned thing I've ever heard.

Trending Topics