STEINBERGER -anyone?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Cary Chilton, Jul 6, 2008.

1. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I thought I might pick up one. The GT-PRO series ( spirit) were I think what EVH used in 1987, and they are the cheapest AND at a reasonable scale length. The upper scale models are a bizarre 28" plus length.

Anyone have one? Are the GT's as good as their more expensive models ?

2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

No it wasn't
    It was in fact a GL2T with a transtrem type1 about $4000+ if you can find one.
    Great guitar, very rare and collectors are pushing the price very high,particularly on colours other than black.

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Oh and apart from the transcale Synapse all Steinberger guitars are 25 1/2" scale,and so is that with the capo on the second fret to give you standard E tuning.

4. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I never played a Steinberger that had any "soul".

5. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

That's for you to add.:AOK

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

How good is any made in Korea Eppiphone because thats who makes them .Good as a travel Guitar but that is about it .If you want a Steinberger GL style, look out on Ebay for a GLB. or a Synapse, both allot better.Or get a GL2T (the real thing.)

8. GVDub

GVDub Member

I've got a Spirit GL that I originally got as a travel guitar. For several years, it more or less sat in the closet when I wasn't traveling, but a few months ago I took it in to be my work guitar, and have become more impressed by it. The stock EMG Select passive pickups are the worst thing about the guitar, and if you replace them it's not bad at all. Mine set up really nicely, and I got the adapter so I don't have to use double-ball strings. Even folks who used to scoff at it when I first brought it in now sneak by my desk to play it when they think nobody's looking.

9. shally

shally Member

tried an inexpensive copy once.. meh... it just wasnt my style of player

strings can be an issue.. not as many choices as conventional strings

10. GVDub

GVDub Member

There's a gadget you can stick on the head of the guitar that lets you use any normal string, so you've got just as much string choice as any other guitar.

11. shally

shally Member

so i now understand.. i think that removes a big issue in terms of string choice

does it have any impact in terms of sound or playability ? i have never seen one of the gadgets...

12. Voxshall

Voxshall Member

[​IMG]

I had an original, when I played it in the shop I couldn't stop playing it, it was addictive but ultamitely it was too clear sounding for me not enough punch.

I always feel I need a shred guitar but end up selling them due to lack of use.

13. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

I'd like that one a lot if it had a wider neck.

I had Hohner copy I used to keep in the case in my locker at work. I could fit a Rockman and a CD player in the case. I'd get all hooked up with head phones and practice everyday for 1/2 hour.

14. Knucklehead

Knucklehead Member

I've got a couple of original Steinberger GL2TTs; they're an acquired taste. They're fun to play, sound better than a lot of bug name guitars, and you can't beat the portability factor.
    For travel I use a Pandora PX3, which works well as a small practice or headphone amp, with a tremendous variety of guitar pre-sets.

Prices have gone up on certain original model Steinbergers, but considering the devaluation of the dollar, it's all relative.

As far as comparisons with the MIK models and related brands, I don't beleive they're offering a total graphite resin model anymore. the newer models seemed to require a lot of continual adjustment.

15. jtees4

jtees4 Member

I wanted an original GL, but couldn't afford one. I have bought a Hohner G3T, two Hohner G2T's, a Steinberger USA GM Newburgh, and finally a USA GLB-T. I still have one G2T and the GLB. I like Steinbergers but can't say I love them. I have a hard time playing a Steinberger and then switching to another guitar...the necks are very different. I like the sound of the EMG 85's....the T Trem is great but I don't need it's transposing features. I prefer the S Trem which I currently do not have. The Spirit guitars are OK, but need a pickup change for sure. Other than that they can play and feel fine with a good set up.

16. KRosser

KRosser Member

I had one of the original run in the 80's. I loved it but eventually it ran its course for me. I used it on a ton of gigs though....

17. franksguitar

franksguitar Member

Known players that play Steinberger Guitars is Buck Dharma & Leslie West.

18. GVDub

GVDub Member

I haven't noticed any impact on the sound or playability. I suppose if you did a really serious tremolo divebomb it might do something strange, but that would require creating an incredible amount of slack in the strings and I don't think you could create enough. It basically just sits at the end of the neck, and has allen-head setscrews to lock the strings in place instead of using the second ball.

19. Zemaitisguitar

Zemaitisguitar Silver Supporting Member

I have a Synapse and it's a great travel guitar. Wouldn't play it onstage, but a great travel guitar....

20. Kalalau Hiker

Kalalau Hiker Supporting Member

The Outskirts of Infinity ...aka Philly burbs.