Steinberger guitar ...explain please.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by edward, Feb 25, 2009.

1. edward

edward Supporting Member

OK, so yes I remember when these made a splash over 2 decades ago. But then again, there was lots of "flash" and "new" back then that did not survive to this millenium. So an honest question to those who really know these guitars (not looking to bash ...educate me): what is it about Steinbergers that give them good press over the years, not to mention such a loyal following. TIA!

Edward

sahhas likes this.
  2. heavypick

heavypick Member

One thing is that the all-graphite ones were resistant to changers in temperature and climate.

Dale, sahhas, PartoftheDark and 4 others like this.
  3. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

one word..... TRANS-TREM

Allows you to bend entire chords in tune, had preset detents in the bar that would allow you to lock the pitch up or down like a moving capo. A bunch of songs off 5150 are not possible to play without this device.

HoboMan, Tootone, Dale and 8 others like this.
  4. Alter

Alter Member

great guitars for rehearsals/lessons. once you carry them a few times with subway/bus/train/plane, you start to feel like a violin player...

johnnylighton, Dale, sahhas and 3 others like this.
  5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

I played a banged up Steiny bass in the late 80's early 90's in a band, great tone, feel, light, easy to play. Had a cheap Spirit Strat shaped for about 5 years, sold last year. Other than the crappy EMG Select pups, all the same features as the above bass.

Great design ideas, but good ones (like any other instrument) get expensive.

Dale and sahhas like this.
  6. phantasm

phantasm Member

A friend of mine had one in the early 90's. To demonstrate how well it stayed in tune and how stable it was he tossed it down a flight of stairs. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it from him for $200 at that time.

Oh, the stairs were carpeted so there wasn't any damage when he let it loose. ha!

7. Kentano2000

Kentano2000 Member

I owned a GM4T from '88 to '94. Great guitar. Played like butter, easily transported, no neck worries. It had the maple body so it weighed a bit more than one might suspect. The TransTrem was cool. The application I used it for most was detuning all the strings together using the master screw in the back for playing along to records where the guitar was tuned to Eb. Lots of Van Halen and Hendrix! And if you wanted to do alternate tunings, you just locked the trem into the "zero" position and it became a hardtail bridge. Total awesomeness!:D

8. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

:agree

A wonderful invention, and I don't know why it didn't become more broadly popular. Seems as though they could have licensed it like the Floyd. The Trans-Trem was like the next generation of the Floyd.

Dale and Alchemist XP like this.
  9. Dave L

Dave L Member

The Trans-Trem is a monster bridge, like you guys said it would have been interesting to see how it would have fared if it had been licensed out and fitted on more "regular" guitars.

Other than what´s been said, wasn´t Steinberger pretty early with adopting EMG pickups as standard?

10. tildeslash

tildeslash Supporting Member

I have a GM with stainless steel frets and it's fantastic. Stable as heck.

Dale and Gig Young like this.
  11. dumbell78

dumbell78 Member

Sydney by way of Muddy Water Land (Chicago)

+1

I had one for a while (synapse) and mainly used it for traveling and such. It was so cool to be able to just throw it in the overhead bin and not worry about the airlines giving me trouble about a guitar. In the end I sold it because I just dont travel as much anymore.

I remember it having a real chunky neck which really surprised the hell out of me, didnt think something that small could pack such a neck.

Cool guitars!

HoboMan and Dale like this.
  12. es3456

es3456 Member

I love my GM7T with the graphite neck and maple body it's the best of both worlds.

13. Luke

Luke Senior Member

The necks were thick and the sound shrill. I had one for a decade as my travel guitar.

14. edward

edward Supporting Member

Great thoughts. Ahhh, the trem. Now that you bring that up, I recall folks talking about that. Very cool ...thanks for the thoughts!

Edward

Dale likes this.
  15. Snail

Snail Member

How are the current models? Are they any good? I don't see them around at all... In terms of the small body-sized ones, there only seems to be the low-budget Spirit series.

16. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I can't vouch for Steinberger guitars with EMG pickups - but I had an XP bass that was a wonderful instrument. It sounded and played great.

Because of how well made the bass was, I bought a GL-2 custom guitar with passive Duncan Alan Holdsworth humbuckers in 91 as a travel guitar. It had the standard trem - which is a better design than any other traditional trem I have seen. The trem has a simple and accessible adjustment knob to match string tension, and it can be locked into a hard-tail configuration with a flip of another accessible lever.

The intonation is perfect all over the neck, and it never goes out of tune. The action is low and I have it strung with .011 - .052 GHS Boomers with a wound .018 G. Not only that, the carbon composite is a fairly resonant material and the guitar has a good sound. Lots of harmonics and a surprising acoustic volume. It was my main practice guitar because it was so ergonomic and comfortable to play, and I ended up falling in love with it.

When my hands were injured (repetitive strain from PC in 95), I modded it to 3 PUs, series/parallel/single switches and a 6-way rotary selector switch. I put a Duncan Vintage Rail in the middle, with is a silent split single coil PU (think Precision Bass, or the Fralin P-92). I also lined the inner cavity with copper tape and grounded everything. It is as quiet as any guitar with single coils can sound. The most versatile of my guitars, it can cover standard Strat to Les Paul settings, and chimey clean to dirty raunch. It only lacks P90 stink, but for that I have a nasty LP Special DC.

I won't say my Steinberger is a good looking guitar, but I sure as hell have bonded with it and love playing it.

Last edited: May 20, 2019
    Dale and sahhas like this.
  17. diego

diego Member

I think their dissapearance had to do with guitar players being conservative about gear. And Gibson might not have known what to do with them, or possibly wanted to bury them.

I still have and play a GL and GM and a couple of Klein guitars. The original guitar was incredibly even sounding all over the neck... when I first tried one, it was tuned down a minor third... sounded fantastic with even the most complex chords, then I bought a GM with a transtrem and could transpose up and down. They don't sound like traditional guitars, but they have their own sound, and are especially great, to my ears, through all tube amplifiers -- this warms them up. I used to play mine through a fifties champ and a microverb to teach college music classes... put the champ under a chair and no one could see it, and the tone truly freaked people out... rolled the tone knob nearly all the way off.

I also like the narrow 2" radius at the bridge. And, no fuss... very stable necks. Can't beat the portability either.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
    sahhas and Dale like this.
  18. Aslan

Aslan Silver Supporting Member

I owned one of the original all graphite models and for travel and at home they are perfect but when playing live they don't feel comfortable on a guitar strap. I never could get used to playing it live. Also they have their own sound and if your used to either Fender or Gibson, the Steinberger takes some getting used to.

19. Alter

Alter Member

i 've got one of these. i 've played with it a lot (theatre gigs mostly), everything works ok with no issues, but changing pickups puts it in a whole different ball game..

20. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Never like 'em. Not enough "soul"... I guess I just need wood.

Even the ones with wooden bodies and graphite necks didn't do it for me. Neither did the Modulus guitars (the basses are another story).

They were extraordinarily well-crafted instruments, though...