stellartone tonestyler?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by adelphi710, Dec 27, 2005.

1. adelphi710

adelphi710 Member

have you guys heard of this thing? its a potentiometer that supposedly keeps your mids intact when rolling off the tone knob. is it for real, or is this thing cheap? it looks interesting!

2. cvansickle

cvansickle Supporting Member

Visualize a tone knob that introduces a successive series of high frequncy capacitors. That's what it is!

3. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

We put them in two of our guitars, including my new 7-string. After playing that 7-string for about 4 hours a day at NAMM over the last 4 days I can tell you positively that it is most definitely worth every dime.

4. cvansickle

Most definitely, worth every dime. Their customer service ranks high too. Don got me the silent replacement knob real fast, and I'm just an average joe, not a builder of awesome gear like Jim here.

I put mine in my Les Paul Special, which uses a Duncan SP90-3 (ceramic magnet) pickup. The flexibility of tones is outstanding. My leads with this guitar have a whole new life, more presence than they had before. It's like turning up the volume, because now I can find a sport in the mix that I couldn't get to before and exploit it.

My Les Paul Custom is next!

5. sloppy

sloppy Member

I've got 2 Tonestylers up for sale if someone wants to try them. I bought a Doubledrive here recently so I have a gearpage user reference if it matters.

Bryan

6. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Got a Stellartone in my Musicman Albert Lee Limited with the 3 X P90s and it works really well in this guitar. I originally had it in my Musicman Silhouette Special, but that guitar had WCR SRs in it, so it needed a 300K volume control. I found I didn't use it much in that guitar, but with the P90s it's really useful. I think it works best for the "set it and forget it" guys; if you work your volumes and tones alot (you Tele and Junior players) you may not care for the clicks. Also, the last position is true-bypass; sounds like you wired the pickups to the output jack. I like it best on the bridge pickup to take off a bit of the top and smooth-out the overdrive sound without messing with the mids. Highly recommended!-Eric

7. LP26

LP26 Member

I have one in my Esquire... Well worth the price of admission as it gives me a far broader range of useful tones than the Esquire delivered with it's stock tone control.

8. cvansickle

When I need to adjust the treble rolloff from song to song, I find it to be lots easier to do this at the guitar than to run back to the amp and do it. The Stellartone ToneStyler is perfect for this purpose. I'm running three of them now. In addition to my Special, I also installed one in my LP Custom and my SG Standard. I'm using the SG to play a lot of early ACDC songs (yeah, big surprise!) and I can hear the subtle tone differences between "It's a Long Way to the Top," "Live Wire" and "Rock n' Roll Singer" - all on the same album - and the ToneStyler lets me nail each one.

9. david henman

david henman Member

...i'm in, bryan.

can you email me at henman@primus.ca

please?

-david henman

10. 56_Special

56_Special Member

I've got one in my Ewdwards LP Jr. It works. I'm still getting used to it. I miss the ability to fiddle with my tone knob mid song. I mean, you can still do that but it's not as easy. But it lets you roll off the highs without getting muddy.