Steph Curry for MVP

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RockinB23, Apr 15, 2015.

1. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

Did you guys see in the news Curry hit 94 out of 100 3 pointers during practice yesterday including 77 in a row. The guy can't be human. MVP MVP!! Sorry I'm a Warrior season holder and I'm excited for this year!!

2. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

I think he should be MVP, but I'm pretty sure what he does in practice doesn't figure into the voting.

3. jhc

jhc Senior Member

Practice? We talking about practice? Not a game.... not a game... Practice???

:rotflmao

Seriously though, Curry is amazing

4. thesteve

thesteve Member

I've been watching Curry game highlights as they come out on youtube and I've been trying to figure out what's so mesmerizing about his style (besides just hitting 3s like crazy)...

it's that bored stare he constantly has when he's bringing his A-game. As if he's saying, "whatevs guys, I'm just shootin' some hoops".

5. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

He's had a great season. I've only been to a couple games this year and he lit it up both times. Plus, the team is also very good...and very deep. We'll see how they fare in the playoffs.

6. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

Where Curry goes, the Warriors go. That's what the MVP does for his team.

7. Tbone135

Tbone135 Member

8. airportbar

airportbar Member

Never gets old for me.:roll

9. sacakl

sacakl Silver Supporting Member

I could see it. I'm just not sure if their style of ball is going to work in a playoff series the deeper they get, despite their incredible regular season, as defenses improve, turn it up a notch, and force them to grind it out a little. I'm thinking about the Spurs in particular.

10. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

If the Warriors stay healthy, I'm thinking the Spurs or the Cavaliers are the only two teams that will likely give the Warriors a hard run this year but I could be wrong.

As far as the Beard goes, he's a great player. I prefer watching 3s over free throws though. I thought I read he's attempted over 800 free throws this year!!

11. bsacamano

bsacamano Member

I once made 24 out of 25 during practice in high school. It was easily the highlight of my life.

12. thesteve

thesteve Member

Yeah. Harden has led the league twice in FTA, and he's an 85%+ FT shooter so he's not a guy you want to send to the line.

But I definitely agree. There's a reason they call the FT the "charity stripe". They're more exciting with the game on the line, but ultimately they're something you get to do because you got hacked, and guys that drive the lanes like Harden get hacked a lot more than jump-shot artists like Curry.

13. subtomic

subtomic Member

I don't think anyone can argue that Harden has done far more with less help than Curry. I think the Rockets projected starting lineup has only played 8 games together this year, with the starting PG, PF and C all missing for months at a time. So Harden has pretty much done it by himself, while Curry has had a 2nd All star (Thompson) plus a formidable starting lineup to prevent the kind of double teams Harden sees on a nightly basis.

Curry is a superb player but the award is most valuable player. Without Curry, the Warriors still see the playoffs- without Harden, the Rockets are probably one of the worst teams in the league.

14. Bankston

Bankston Member

This.

Westbrook is also in the conversation. He's had to carry the Thunder without Durant most of the season. But OKC is probably going to miss the playoffs.

Harden needs Houston to finish with the 2 seed to have a legit shot at MVP.

15. thesteve

thesteve Member

Hmm...good thought process here. I didn't realize the state of the Rockets. Harden has scored about double than the next closest player (Ariza)

16. stevieboy

stevieboy Clouds yell at me Gold Supporting Member

In US sports we use the phrase "Most Valuable Player" and it has a long tradition, but I think most people including most voters think of it as the award for the best player and the one who contributes the most to his team, regardless of what percentage that is of the team's accomplishment. You can still argue Curry vs Harden, but I think how good their teams would be without them isn't really going to be the deciding factor.

17. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

What about defense. Harden doesn't really play it. They rely on Beverly for that.

Curry is in the top ten in steals, +/-, Scoring, Free Throw percentage, Assist, Rebounding for a PG, 3 Point Percentage and his team has the best record.

I will be curious to see how it shakes out.

18. airportbar

airportbar Member

19. RockinB23

RockinB23 Member

Not fattest player

20. subtomic

subtomic Member

Harden is definitely improved on D this year - Beverley has been gimpy since the early part of the season and hasn't played in over a month.

Again, I don't think non-rockets fans can appreciate how Harden has to do everything for the Rockets. When he's out, we literally have no go-to guy on the floor.

The league has always taken "most valuable" into the equation. Otherwise, nobody but Michael Jordan would have won it in the 90s, Shaq would have had it every year from 2000-2006, and Lebeon would have gotten it every year since 2007.