Stephans Stage Hog

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by telemonk, Jul 23, 2006.

1. telemonk

telemonk Member

It's crazy expensive but if it is what it says it is on his website it's an even trade for four of my current ods. anyone have one? whats the word on these?

2. stratovarius

stratovarius Supporting Member

I have one, but don't feel very qualified to answer. I have never tried a Klon, a Zendrive, an Eternity or a Landgraff. I seldom play at volume and I don't know much about stacking.

I would have thought there would have been more excitement about the Stage Hog than there has been, but the hoopla game is rather mysterious - isn't it?

I did own a Varidrive and thought the Stage Hog beat the Varidrive at its own game. It's a very quiet, natural sounding overdrive with lots of flexibility. What can I say?

3. smilefan

smilefan Member

After I got mine (the latest version), it made both my
    BJF EGDM and my Eternity obsolete! Sold them both,
    and made enough to pay for the Stagehog.

The Hog is a paradigm breaker. That "something" thats
    always missing from pedals is in the Hog. Real tube distortion,
    and the ability to mix both power amp breakup and preamp
    distortion. Its the only pedal I've ever heard that can get
    that magic "rip" where high frequency overtones seem to hang
    in the air with such thickness it sounds like you are playing
    faster than you really are. Like a great modded Marshall or
    SLO.

For medium to high gain distortion it wastes all pedal competition.
    It sounds and feels just like an amp under your fingers (it is in
    fact a fully functioning all-tube amplifier).

To me, worth the price. The end of my gain pedal search.

4. fatback

fatback Member

One of these days... I'm gonna ride me a Hog.
    :D

5. telemonk

telemonk Member

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have a silver face deluxe or old reverbarocket I'm playing through and have been toying with the idea of something along the lines of a Mesa F-30 or pro junior for an overdrive amp. The stage hog looks great...I'm just wondering if it's really as good as a mesa F-30 seeing as a used F-30 is about the same price as a stage hog. But yeah. If it was really what ya say i could sell some stuff and justify it...

6. smilefan

smilefan Member

Fatback, if you ever get a Stage Hog, make sure you get an
    endorsement/commision deal with Mark Stephenson first, because
    one of your your video demo posts will sell a Hog to about half
    the people on this board!

7. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

My one and only overdrive!
    If you do a search, I'm sure you'll find me raving about it several times!

Ted

8. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

I really want to get one. But I mean is it worth the asking price? I could have a klon & a menatone kar krash for the price, but something about this one stands out. It reminds me of a combination of a cornish pedal and a tube driver...is it better than the tube driver...vintage tube driver? How do you access it? There is no footswitch...is it just on all the time? Im not big on OD's, but do have a few on order like the eternity and tim, timmy, zendrive 2, etc. but once I get those I would sell them if I knew that this was forsure worth it.

9. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Markom -

Check the Stephenson site; there is a jack for a remote footswitch.

I have been interested in this pedal ever since I read about it. It sounds like it could replace my Mesa Bottle Rocket as my #1 tube pedal and be a good alternative practice amp during overseas vacations as well. The price is a bit daunting, though not unreasonable if he is making them himself.

To those who have actually played through one; would it be worth selling my Damage Control Womanizer and Demonizer (which are gathering dust under my bed) and a Boss pedal or two to get one?

Any TGP user clips?

stratzrus

10. telemonk

telemonk Member

I like what it says on his site. It seems people like it. I may take the chance. Would you say it could do something similar to having a second amp like a mesa F-30 as an overdrive amp to pair up with a deluxe?

11. Nitefly182

Nitefly182 Member

I dont think menatone makes the kar krash any more.

12. markom89

markom89 Senior Member

nitefly- you can still get it at musictoyz.com...Ive been thinking about picking it up for a while, but is it worth the $360 price tag?...Or do I go with the stage hog?...(I got on the list anyways this morning when I spoke with Mark, really nice guy by the way...spent an hour talking gear)...I dont know whether I should think of it as a pedal or an amp? Also, I may just get on the list for the Stephenson 40 watt combo... (sooo niceeee)

stratzrus- how would you use it on vacation? Would you take some sort of a cab with you, and an electric or how would that work? Are you talking overseas or domestic/continental?

13. threm

threm Member

The Stage Hog sounds like an amp, not like a pedal. Can go towards plexi or tweed.
    I`ve got Zendrive, CJOD, Klon, Timmy etc. The Stage Hog has more meat.

14. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

I think I was the first one raving about the HOG... The latest version is the version I had customized to me. Am I famous? No but I think Mark agreed to do it for me because they were solid ideas ( the addition of his line drive buffer and a dual channel with discrete volumes, and the lead channel also has a bit of a gain, full range boost added too!). I had just tried a Mesa V, had a tonebone and recently sold it, tried a varidrive and the Stage Hog kills all of them ( IMO) hands down in flexibility, harmonic interaction, natural and ease of use LIVE, and headroom, active EQ, and myriads of possiblities in the drive. I was serious about raving about it 6 months ago, and it is the only pedal I when giggin- and I am giggin this weekend! If I want some compression, I might throw a boost, of a od in front. The Hog is AS pedal friendly as any tube amp. IT is a tube amp that has an added line out so you are able to plug it into another amp AS a pedal. There is nothing like it. Changing 12ax7 tubes will even add more tweaking possibilities! The cost? Actually it is high, but now I understand why after several chat with Mark on the phone. The power/supply transformers are custom designed and made for this little amp, as wel as many other parts. All the other components are top of the line. Oh yeah, did I mention a dual channel ( METAL) footswitch with a 15 foot cable? The Stage Hog really isn't that big, looking at it beside me now, my maxon ad-999 appears 85 % of the size! And the foot switch is about 5-10 % bigger than the maxon. Buying the stage hog, you don't need to buy a line buffer, since there is one in the HOG, made to easily cover 20 feet of cable to the amp ( since the HOG is an amp, I find it works best LAST in the chain). I am still checking out other Od's at times. Sometimes there is a unique voicing, but a unique voiced pedal ( zendrive,bb pre, mjm BD, DRD) needs to blend nicely in the chain, with other pedals. Lately, I am finding that MJM blues devil, though nice actually can make other pedals sound thin.... not good. The Zendrive doesn't stack the best either, THOUGH all these pedal mentioned sound big and full when used alone. BTW when I say the zen and the mjm aren't stacking as nice, I am referring about 3-6 & here. Conversly the TIM blends sweet with all pedals and of course so does the HOG. Boost pedals work best with the hog. I am lucky enough to have a hand wired george lynch TMB which is killer on the mr scary mode for overall slightly compressed, added bass and squeal with the HOG and at times TOO much! Mark, also makes a boost called FMD, made by hand, and it is the ONLY boost I have tried that rivals the GL TMB but it is only 110 USD! I have a cusomized FMD with added bass to rival the GL TMB mr scary's bass response! Yes the FMD has a treble, clean flat boost, full range boost, gain and level and mine has added bass, but it all comes down to playing. But it sure is cool to rip off Zakk Wylde squeals effortlessly with low gain pickups and of course higher gain pups ALL the way down to nailing a early AC/DC tone and blues tones..... NEED I SAY MORE! :)

15. Cary Chilton

typo " customized for me" -sorry had to mention it

16. kaseri

kaseri Member

Cary... would you have (or be able to provide) clips of the Stagehog in use? I'm very interested in one but I'd like to get an idea of what it sounds like.

17. Cary Chilton

I did before, but the first time I tried, I knew SQUAT about mike placement. However about a month ago, I sent Mark Stephenson some quick clips, totally dry into a better, thought not very expensive, cardiod mic ( sennheiser 906). The Clips have my StageHog, MXR Phase 90, and my Maxon AD-999 for delay. Email Mark at stephensonamps.com and ask him to send you the clips. I don't have them anymore. I just did it to be nice, since Mark was gracious enough to answer all my pre purchase emails ( a lot). Mark himself wanted know right away what I used. I think to his disbelief, I only what I stated above, with a strat ( using the bright bridge pup) and a solid state cheap Fender. I think you will be impressed.

18. kaseri

kaseri Member

Thanks Cary, I'll email Mark about the clips.

19. Cary Chilton

20. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

No,I was the first one!(hehe...)
    I 've had all versions from mkI up to mkV.I'm sure you'll find my posts if you dig in a little.Needless to say,I agree with the rest of your comments to the full.

Ted