• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Stephen Pearcy and vocal registers

AdmiralB

While I suspect that not too many folks would classify Pearcy as a great vocalist, I think he's pretty unique and I can't imagine Ratt songs with anyone else on the mic.

What's more interesting to me is...I don't 'get' how he sings. I am in no way any kind of singer, but I can at least hang with most rock music pitch-wise until you get to Rob Halford high-end. But I can't do Pearcy at all.

It's like he's able to stay in the vocal fry register when I'm on the edge of going to falsetto. Lemmy was kind of the same way. Is it just the-way-they're-put-together?

TFC

Silver Supporting Member
I think the appearance of "staying" in that register is created by piecing together many, many takes in the studio. At least that's what I've heard. I've seen him live once, and you can add me to the group who would not classify Pearcy as a great vocalist. I do love the old Ratt albums, though.

T Dizz

We got to open for "Stephen Pearcy's Ratt" years ago.. He still had it back in the early 2000s.

AdmiralB

I've seen him/them once, in 1997 when 'they' (Pearcy, Blotzer, and Demartini) first reunited. It was really good; a friend who was with me - and had seen them 'back then' said they were much better than his previous experiences.

I was a big fan of the first two records, but they're one of the few acts from that era that I'd have wanted to see but never got the chance at the time.

Still, my post - perhaps not put in the most clear way - wasn't really intended to be a poll of who does and does not 'like' him, or think he's any good - I'm really curious how he does it. It's sort of growling to pitch; it's a really limited range but it is a range. As I said, Lemmy was similar.

Last edited:

bobotwt

Silver Supporting Member
I've seen him/them once, in 1997 when 'they' (Pearcy, Blotzer, and Demartini) first reunited. It was really good; a friend who was with me - and had seen them 'back then' said they were much better than his previous experiences.

I was a big fan of the first two records, but they're one of the few acts from that era that I'd have wanted to see but never got the chance.

Still, my post - perhaps not put in the most clear way - wasn't really intended to be a poll of who does and does not 'like' him, or think he's any good - I'm really curious how he does it. It's sort of growling to pitch; it's a really limited range but it is a range. As I said, Lemmy was similar.
I think I know what you mean. I have a pretty decent range but I don't know how to put the growl/fry on the really high falsetto. Kevin Dubrow had a similar quality as well.

Josh

Lance

Gold Supporting Member
I think it's just their pipes and they do it naturally.

I can do a lot of fairly spot on Simpson impressions, but it seems I can only duplicate the voices that are done by Hank Azaria & Dan Castellaneta. But the ones that are done by Harry Shearer, I just can't seem to get.

I think they are able to get some type of like compressed type of technique with breathing.

Bankston

We've opened for Stephen a couple of times. Last time we opened he got so pissy about the monitor mix that he started and stopped You're in Love three times. At that point, I didn't really care how his vocals sounded.

We left shortly afterward.

sws1

I thought for sure that he had some sort of vocal effect on his voice. I saw him at a small club, and he sounded normal when speaking, but when he started singing, it was as it there was something akin to the Ozzy effect got turned on.

sickboy79

I've always thought he had a really unique voice that just fit what Ratt was doing. Love all the stuff though Detonator. I haven't heard any of their stuff after that album. Never seen them live.

muzishun

Some just got it.

My bassist has it. Ya he taught himself but he has tried to teach me and it's obviously a gift.

But I have a decent range and clear voice so we can cover a lot of ground.

scr@tchy

We've opened for Stephen a couple of times. Last time we opened he got so pissy about the monitor mix that he started and stopped You're in Love three times. At that point, I didn't really care how his vocals sounded.

We left shortly afterward.
If they didn't have their own sound engineer for this date it could explain a lot. We aren't in the $ range to travel with a dedicated sound person, running monitors for a set seems like it should be easy but encountering the various sound people throughout the midwest has shown me that it must not be as easy for everyone. Headliner, opener, it doesn't matter; we carefully set our our monitor mix and then sometimes when we go on, it's gone. Let them know you need more of your vocals and the bass guitar gets real loud all of a sudden. We are respectful and economic with our part of the soundcheck, my first warning is when a sound person can't oganize themselves on their own equipment. And I'm talking A list theaters at times. Be forgiving of singers in clubs is wot I'm saying, and likewise, just because the engineer is behind a giant mixing board with lights and stuff does not mean has has a working knowledge of his business, baffling but true.

Hamer95USA

I've seen Ratt when Robben Crosby was still alive at the Oakland Colisuem as a headliner with Poison as the opening act. I've also seen Ratt as a 4 piece with Jizzy Pearl on vocals & Robbie Crane on bass at the Maritime Hall in San Francisco, Ratt with Jizzy Pearl on vocals, Robbie Crane on bass, and John Corabi on rhythm guitar in San Francisco (club is currently closed, I'm not sure of the name of the venue). Personally, I think Jizzy Pearl is a better vocalist than Stephen Pearcy. The hardcore fans will want to see Stephen Pearcy still sing in the band though.

That being said, I enjoy their music and the way that DeMartini plays guitar on their songs. I've always wondered when Warren would get a better vocalist, write some great songs outside of Ratt, put out a solo CD, put his own band together, and tour behind his CD.

Guitar George

DustyRhodesJr

Pearcys voice has really gone downhill, not that it was ever that great.

Check out some of his recent Youtube videos, some are almost embarrassing.

But I still love Ratt.

Bankston

If they didn't have their own sound engineer for this date it could explain a lot. We aren't in the $ range to travel with a dedicated sound person, running monitors for a set seems like it should be easy but encountering the various sound people throughout the midwest has shown me that it must not be as easy for everyone. Headliner, opener, it doesn't matter; we carefully set our our monitor mix and then sometimes when we go on, it's gone. Let them know you need more of your vocals and the bass guitar gets real loud all of a sudden. We are respectful and economic with our part of the soundcheck, my first warning is when a sound person can't oganize themselves on their own equipment. And I'm talking A list theaters at times. Be forgiving of singers in clubs is wot I'm saying, and likewise, just because the engineer is behind a giant mixing board with lights and stuff does not mean has has a working knowledge of his business, baffling but true.
True. I just don't have much patience with singers who don't show up for soundcheck and then pull stunts on stage. I worked a show where Lita Ford stopped after the second song and walked off stage, complaining that she wouldn't come back until the monitor mix was fixed. And I knew the sound guy and he knew that system better than anyone at that club. I was there during sound check and witnessed the ridiculous demands Lita's sound guy put on the house engineer, including going out last minute to get new mics. And I loaned her a JCM 800 that I rented from a friend and she griped about that as well.

She didn't bother to show up for soundcheck either.

The bottom line is that there is a way to handle those situations and Stephen handled it very unprofessionally in my opinion.

Marc Roy

I've seen Ratt when Robben Crosby was still alive at the Oakland Colisuem as a headliner with Poison as the opening act. I've also seen Ratt as a 4 piece with Jizzy Pearl on vocals & Robbie Crane on bass at the Maritime Hall in San Francisco, Ratt with Jizzy Pearl on vocals, Robbie Crane on bass, and John Corabi on rhythm guitar in San Francisco (club is currently closed, I'm not sure of the name of the venue). Personally, I think Jizzy Pearl is a better vocalist than Stephen Pearcy. The hardcore fans will want to see Stephen Pearcy still sing in the band though.

That being said, I enjoy their music and the way that DeMartini plays guitar on their songs. I've always wondered when Warren would get a better vocalist, write some great songs outside of Ratt, put out a solo CD, put his own band together, and tour behind his CD.

Guitar George
What the hell kind of a name is "Jizzy Pearl"?

Trending Topics

Top Bottom