Stephen Stills...

mikeguy53

From Buffalo Springfield, to CSN and sometimes Y... to Mannassas. I've only seen him once in concert ...and he killed it...Acoustic, electric, vocals, songwriting (For what it's Worth) (not a bad first start), and still relevant today. Knew about vintage guitars before the market exploded. Gruhns would say, "here comes Still's...get out the good stuff, he's just had another paycheck..." Bought a Load Loar F5 for Chris Hillman there as a gift. A friend of mine has
a '37 D28 that Stills wanted to buy. He decided to hold on to it because if Stills wanted it, it was going to be worth some serious $$$. And he was right...

thewhit

Gold Supporting Member
He's a huge icon in my book and always has had the cream of the crop, instrument wise. I regret not buying a Martin D-45 SS Brazilian when they came out in the late 90's. Beautiful guitars and the 6 star Southern Cross image in the pick guard is total class.

Carter Vintage has a used one for sale currently at $40,000.......so I won't be adding one anytime soon but I can dream.

django49

Unfortunately, the one time I saw him live (CSN), he sounded terrible. I think they were too busy for a soundcheck....It was not until their second set that someone was able to get on stage and reset his amp. The whole first set his guitar was like Neil Young on steroids, pretty much destroying whatever beauty there was in their harmonies.

Blooby

Big fan. I find myself spinning his solo stuff more than CSN(Y) these days. I never checked out The Rides. Was that band worth checking out?

Blooby

DrumBob

Platinum Supporting Member
Very underrated electric player. I had the opportunity to meet him a couple times, neither one under particularly good circumstances. I'm a big Buffalo Springfield fan, and I like The Rides also.

mikeguy53

A friend of mine who passed away some years ago was good friends with him...golfing buddies among other things...they were running in the fast lane...there's some stories...still a great musician in my book...

GrungeMan

The Rides are good, worth checking out. Stills is currently recording an album with Judy Collins and they're backing that with a tour.

Ogre

Tremendous for a few years, descended into a drug haze, which led to mediocre output, never to recover. What might have been.

GerryJ

I remember way back in the 70s, he said he'd alternate / rotate tours "in sets of threes- one for the girls, one for the music, and one for the drugs."

Talented guy. He's told people recently he's 'functionally deaf', but most old rockers are.

SnidelyWhiplash

Silver Supporting Member
Love Manassas! He had a dark burst LP with a Bigsby at the time. Beautiful guitar & great sound. Always wondered whatever happened to it..

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I remember in a Downbeat interview with Cecil Taylor's bassist Buell Neidlinger (?) he said that he thought Stills was a better electric guitarist than McLaughlin. I love JM but I know exactly what he meant.

Lotis

Gold Supporting Member
Friend of mine used to manage him in the early 80's. I got invited up to play his guitars. All the old Gretsch's, Martin,s and everything else you could think of it was a blast! looked like a guitar forrest in a huge room. Left sick with jealousy! He is one of the great.

Trending Topics