Stephen Tyler's rendition of the STar Spangled Banner @ the Pat's game....

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Dr. Tweedbucket, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    I hear some peeps raggin on it. :huh

I thought it was ok .... or at least on pitch and not pre-recorded. He could have used some delay or reverb or something. :dunno

Last edited: Jan 23, 2012
  2. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

Must be one of the top 10 worst renditions ever...

3. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry

Nah, I don't think so ...... :red

4. claudel

claudel Member

They shoulda stuck with Huey...

5. ldizzle

ldizzle Supporting Member

Sounded like steven tyler to me... maybe strained a bit, but still steven tyler.

His rock voice is super unique- If he sang it american idol-style...he probably wouldnt be a household name nor a rockstar!

Pretty straight forward to me. Needed some verb/delay for sure to soften it up though!

6. Lotis

Lotis Silver Supporting Member

It was an honest delivery of a difficult melody.

7. jaycee

jaycee Member

He did both games? I missed the 2nd one.

8. Dillow4092

Dillow4092 Member

The only way it could've been worse is if they used a tape and it got stuck. Girl you know it's.. Girl you know it's... Girl you know it's..... :D

9. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

I think this

10. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

A good assessment. Really people, it's Steven Tyler, not Pavarotti. He delivered what was expected.

11. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

It was actually at the Pats game in Foxborough, since he is a New England native. Kristin Chenowith did the Niners game. I actually thought he did ok. That's his voice. It's great for Love in an Elevator, maybe not as much on standards!

12. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Just so it is clear, Stevem Tyler sang at the New England game. The Candlestick Park version of the "Star Spangled Banner" was performed by Kristin Chenoweth.

13. chequepoint

chequepoint Member

Singing unaccompanied is hard, and Tyler certainly isn't used to that. Monitoring yourself in those situations is borderline impossible, plus he's also getting older.. I thought he did what anyone would have expected him to do. It sounded like Steven.. He's not Freddie Mercury.

14. Wake911

Wake911 Member

I thought it was better than I expected it to be. At least he didn't change the words like he did at the Indy 500 a few years back (i dug it, thought it was cool, but some folks really got up in arms about that single lyric change to incorporate the event he was singing at)
    Were there some rough notes when he did the screams? Yup, but who cares, it was Steven Tyler rock star singing the anthem. If you want a classical national anthem, then hire a classical singer to sing the anthem, 'nuff said.

15. rob2001

rob2001 Member

It was exactly what I would have expected from Steven and I thought it was OK. I much prefer him singing Toys in the Attic though!

16. cram

cram Member

He's also done two playoff games for the redsox - one of them for the first world series.

In this one he put in some patented steven tyler improv after the land of the free -
    (this one doesn't have all of the anthem in the clip.

I don't understand what the problem is here at all. He delivered it just fine imo.

17. sws1

sws1 Member

Sounded like Steven Tyler, but without loud guitars, reverb, some vocal compression, and the opportunity to do multiple takes.

It's more that many people don't realize what he sounds like without that stuff.

18. saneff

saneff Gold Supporting Member

I thought it was fine.

A question though because I am a clueless individual. For a guy like Tyler, when he is performing live with Aerosmith would he be using any vocal effects? If so, what would be typical that you think he might use or someone like him?

19. R3deemed

R3deemed Member

It sounded like exactly like I would expect Tyler singing the National Anthem to sound. I don't understand the angst. Was he supposed to sing like someone else?

20. jbp

jbp Supporting Member

It's a tough piece - pretty broad vocal range. Tyler wasn't the first to struggle with it for this very reason. And let's be honest - he sounded great in the upper registers and more than "a little pitchy, dawg" on the low notes.

But truth be told, I'm shocked when I hear someone sing this really well. Most have a really hard time....