Stephenson Amplification/Stage Hog/Great!!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Douge, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Douge

Douge Member

I just wanted to tell everyone that Mark Stephenson is great for his products and outstanding support.

He built a new Stage Hog Pedal for me and while I was waiting on it I bought another one from a fellow TGP member( thanks Ted) who sent it to Mark for some upgrades and a checkup.
    Mark did all that plus new tubes and sent it to me Free of Charge! He also does the best packing of anything sent in the mail I have seen!

Mark is tops in my book, and the Stage Hogs are excellent!

If you need a Stage Hog or an Amp, Mark will do you right!

2. unphotogenic

unphotogenic Member

How much gain does the stage hog have? Also how much mids does the pedal have, I love alot of mids and high gain.

3. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

Mark's the man!

I'm glad you're digging the Hog.

Hog on!

Ted

4. Douge

Douge Member

You can tailor the gain as you like with different tubes and scale,gain,tone knobs and voice,boost,bright switches.
    I've just gotten the Stage Hogs and have to spend more time with them but so far they sound great tome. It sometimes has too much gain for me. Thats what nice about having two. One for high gain and one for not so high gain. Will just have to experiment some!

Ted might chime in here because I know he had one for a while.
    Others have had good things to say about them.

5. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

The good thing with having two is,as you mentioned,set one for lower od with a 12AU7 in the output(in the place of the 12DW7) and the other one stock for higher gain tones.
    Depending on the combination of scaling and gain you can go from plexi to modded plexi to a Herzog like sweet endless sustain sound(think American woman...)with the voicing switch up or from tweed dirt to almost Dumble like sustain with the switch down.
    The cool thing with the various switches on the unit is that apart from using them to match your guitar to the unit to the amp you can also use them for tonal variations.They are voiced just right.
    Plus,the sound is always smooth,full and never fizzy or thin.
    I miss it already but the LJ15 in my future will hopefully cure that...

Ted

6. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

Unphotogenic,

I have two Stage Hogs. The first one was an off-the shelf model. It has lots of gain, even with low output single coils. The second one has slightly less gain since I expressed a desire to have a lower gain model. Mark made a few changes to the circuitry on that one.
    I play the Stage Hog live through a Fender (either a Rivera-era Concert 1x12'' or a Bandmaster with 3x10''. The amp is set for a clean tone. I play Country Rock and need to be able to get a good overdrive tone at a fairly low level as everything is miked and put through the FOH and monitor systems. The Stage Hog has finally solved my volume vs. sound problem and keeps my rig at a compact size. Highly recommended! The sound comes through very clear with lots of articulation. I also play blues occasionally and use the same set up so it is quite versatile. I believe it would do Southern or Hardrock equally well. There may be better solutions for the heavier styles but I guess that with these you will rarely be forced to play at lower volumes ...

7. Cary Chilton

Cary Chilton Senior Member

Mark has built stuff for Mutt Lang and many more high profile names. He has a great reputation. I am thinking on buying his stage hog to use in Taiwan since IT IS impossible to get a decent Tube amp in Taiwan. The reason why the HOG is bosshog is because the pedal is really an amp in a pedal. Mark isn't a pedal maker per se. BUT not just an amp, based on his special circuitry that he has developed on his premium amps. So, really the hog is an awesome value. Last time, we chatted on the phone he was pretty excited about working with Kevin O'conner (london power) to develop a 600 WATT solid state power amp ( effective 100 RMS) so you could power your hog then into any 4x12 for MAX volume! Pretty interesting.

8. KLB

KLB Member

I am another happy Stage Hog user! Here's my take after 10 days of use.

I have tried it with various guitars and Tone King / Fender BF and Germino /Heritage Bassman-Plexi style amps, all with excellent results.

My current around-the-house rig is ear-friendly and inspiring, and uses the Stage Hog and a Princeton Reverb with a 12" Mojo baffle and Black Beauty speaker. The signal chain is:

Guitar -> TIM -> Stage Hog -> Tone-Jam GE-7 EQ -> 250K Ernie Ball Volume (splits to Strobostomp tuner on input side) -> T-Rex Replica Delay -> Amp (with sweet reverb and bias-mod tremolo)

The EQ pedal is a key part of the signal chain. The high input impedance and buffer keeps the Volume pedal from loading the output of the Stage Hog. Without the EQ/Buffer, the Stage Hog tonal response gets dull and compressed as the EB volume pedal is lowered. I can use the "plexi" (up) setting, which is leaner, tigher and harmonically more extended, then add the bass back with the EQ by boosting at 100hz.

I keep the Princeton Reverb turned up to 7-8 so it can "breathe." This would normally be louder than it can perform with clarity. However, I also turn down the Hog line output so it doesn't push the PR front end too much. When the Hog is bypassed, I can turn my guitar to 6-7 and get a great clean tone. The volume pedal lets me drive the TIM/HOG as hard as I want, then adjust the final volume. The post-distortion EQ pedal helps compensate for the Fletcher-Munson hearing curve effect on needing more low bass and high treble at low volumes.

The Scaling knob is more useful than I would have thought. When too low, say below 11:00, the bass tends to sag too much. When past 2:00-3:00, the upper mids and high end can get a little brash with the Plexi and Brite settings, especially with single coils. The sweet spot for me is around 11:00 to 2:00. I usually keep the Gain around the same range, with Tone from 12:00 to 2:00.

The Brite switch makes the upper notes on a Strat super fat, albeit you loose some ability to clean up. Past 3:00 on the Gain, it has no effect.

The Power Amp boost switch is useful to make the power tube breakup when you have the Gain at low settings, and/or you are using low gain tubes in one or both sections like a 12AU7.

I am especially enjoying the sound of a maple neck Strat on the neck pickup (EJ Sig). The first switch is set up to "Plexi". Scaling, Gain and Tone are around 12:00-2:00 with a bit of bass boost on the EQ pedal. It's full and saucy and reminds me of the sound Hendrix got on the tune "Axis: Bold As Love."

Pedals work VERY well going into the Hog, further tailoring the sound and distortion character, particularly if you don't go overboard with the input gain and brite/boost settings. The Stage Hog doesn't clean up quite as well as a traditional amp, and you don't get the sound of the speaker breakup and compression. On the other hand, it gets some tone Mojo goin' and makes me want to play.

Perhaps the coolest thing about playing through the Stage Hog is that it FEELS like a cranked amp, even at conversational levels.

I tried several different 12AX7 tubes in V1. The differences were apparent. The JJ ECC803S that came with it is excellent and is what I am using. It also came with a Sovtek 5751.

There are many approaches to getting a cranked amp tone at scaleable volumes, from attenuators to modelers to load/DI boxes to... pedals. This little amp-in-a-box could be what you are looking for.

By the way, I didn't much care for the sound of the Hog into the various 12" 8 ohm speaker cabs I tried. I want to try a 6" 4 ohm speaker, though. That is probably a better match for the little 1w output section.

I am sitting on the fence about the relative value of the Stage Hog. It costs $620 direct, and if sold at retail it would be about $850-1000. That's a lot of coin! As others have said on this forum many times, value is relative to the playing satisfaction you get. If you have an assortment of seldom-used pedals and amps, cashing in some of those for a Stage Hog may be a wise move.

(I thought the Cornish G2 was overpriced until I bought one a couple of years ago. I still have and like that pedal. At least two other folks I know bought one after hearing mine.)

Kevin O'Connor is about to release his new PS-Box, a convenient Power Scaling add-on kit. I plan to install one in a Bassman/Plexi style amp and see how well it works there.

9. Cary Chilton

I just ordered the 5th gen STAGEHOG, isnt even produced yet. I may be the first. I know Mark and I have order some specials addons or mods and I am very excited to get it!! MArk does recommend that the HOG be placed at the end of the chain since it is a tone ( pre amp) generator. The last fellow is right, at only 1 rms, the hog wont sound HUGE with anything, BUT it will sound best with the :
    http://editweb.iglou.com/eminence/eminence/pages/products02/patriot/cannabis.htm

BTW if you wanted to not even USE an amp ( use the speaker cable out) into a power amp then a cab- the crate mini power amp is a great portal choice. That is my future plans for a portal pick up and RUN solution!!

10. threm

threm Member

A Stage Hog was shipped a few days ago with a three way Mid EQ switch, Booster switch on the remote, black with gold sparkle finish.

Candadpost.com saying today;
    "2005/09/16 19:39 International item has arrived in the destination country"

11. Cary Chilton

Mine is quite different, too!

12. KLB

KLB Member

I am happy with my Stage Hog the way it is.

Still, it would have been nice to know there are options available before placing the order.

Whatever.

13. tedwoods

tedwoods Member

I'm glad everyone is enjoying Hoging around...
    If you can get your hands on a Mullard 12DW7,try it!
    Also, a good treble booster style pedal,like the 65amps colour boost or similar,will help towards shaping the low end at higher gain settings and add a hint of better cleaning up capability.

KLB,your idea about the EQ is ingenious!(why didn't I think of that?)

Ted

14. threm

threm Member

KLB, I didn`t hear (know) about any options neither. I just asked for a couple of tweaks.

15. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

KLB

Thanks for the review. Very well done and cool suggestions! Just one question: What does TIM stand for?

I agree with you that a traditional amp cleans up better but you will have to deal with the volume of a traditional amp or to rely on pedals for overdrive. Overdrive pedals never seemed to work with me because once I approached band volumes I either got piercing treble or a dull clean tone. This is another big advantage of the Stage Hog: it doesn't pierce but stays smooth even with the Bright switch on the amp set to "on". It is very easy to compensate for that with the Direct Out Tone control.

As regards the relative value, I don't really have to complain about the price but I agree it is a personal thing. It is a complete tube amp and has a wide range of applicability and solved my volume vs. sound problems. I also very much like how consistent my sound is from gig to gig. When I look at the Fulltone or Klon pedals I get a lot more worried about the price, not to mention a TS-808 or TS-9 (BTW I sold my TS-9 in the 80s for 80 DM (equivalent to approx. 50 USD) when nobody wanted one ). And I believe the Damage Control pedals are also in the same price range (I have not checked them).

In this thread one guy suggested to use a treble booster to go into the Stage Hog for better cleaning up possibilities. I wonder whether he used a guitar with single coils or humbuckers as I am informed that treble boosters generally work better with single coils.

16. Cary Chilton

TIM is a monty python joke, timmy cause it is smaller.

You should all check out the amps of these master pedals!
    stephensonamps.com (LJ series)
    heritageamps.com (the colonnial)

17. threm

threm Member

Got the Stage Hog yesterday. VERY pleased with it. Sounds great on its own and also when driving it with with other gain pedals. I like to turn the Scale knob towards left for some amplike compression when pulling in some.
    I also got very good results with the speaker out into a Reverend All Tone 12". Only 1 watt but sounded full and louder than the neighbours like.

Mark has a proto booster pedal coming (non tube) and a Bass Hog (up on his site now).

18. Cary Chilton

Ya I know. It is called " fix my duck"
    Mark also has a treble boost called" bad toad"

19. threm

threm Member

Just wondering where you guys place the Stage Hog in the line?

What I`ve discovered;

Most all pedals (except delay) sound better before the Stage Hog, also the Klon when used as a clean boost. Pedals after the Stage Hog generally change the character of the Hog making it sound thinner and edgier (tremolo, a Boomerang etc).

20. darkbluemurder

darkbluemurder Member

I don't use any pedals except for the Stage Hog at the moment.
    I would place the Wha Wha before and any Delay/Reverb or EQ after the SH. I tried a Boost/Overdrive pedal in front of the SH but was not overly impressed with the result. The SH has enough overdrive for me all by itself (I don't turn the gain past 2 and leave the boost switch off). I tried the same pedal after the SH and found that the boost function would work well for a solo boost whereas the overdrive function did not yield any useable results. Basically the Stage Hog rendered all my overdrive/distortion pedals obsolete except for the solo boost function as described.