Stephenson amps - who has experience with them?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by pickslide, Jan 9, 2008.

1. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

I was emailing with Mark and have heard that these are fantastic amps, but just wanted to see who out there has one (especailly the 30W model) and what they have to say about them.

2. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

I haven't tried one, but I know Boutique Tone in Montreal on Saint-Laurent has one in stock that you can try. That's if you're anywhere close...

3. fjam82

fjam82 Member

I don't think you're referring to the same amp, I was there on saturday and they had the Stevenson (built in montreal)... unless they just got the other stephenson from bc this week...

4. Griz

Griz Member

Yes, I really wish they'd post some clips on the Stephenson (B.C.) website. There are fully produced recordings (Shania Twain, Billy Talent, etc.) featuring their amps, but no straight clips that I've been able to locate.

The guy is a genius, for sure. But I'd still like to hear some clips.

:dude

5. pickslide

I know! I hear that they are just amazing. I have been told that the 30W version tone is best described as Van Halen II. With power scaling built in plus the ability to used different tubes and turn them on and off just seems like there is so much variety with these amps, but I am dying to hear one.

6. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

Sorry, my bad. I was indeed talking about the Montreal Stephenson. Never heard of the other. Sorry.

7. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

Until recently I owned a Stephenson LJ-15 (single channel version) and it was a fantastic amp. Since I have one of his 30 watt combos on order, I decided to trade this one for a Swart AST just to have another flavor.

I'll tell you though, I really miss that LJ-15. The Swart is working out well and sounds nice, but can't touch the overall versatility and flexibility of the Stephenson.

Mark told me that his new 30 watt combo is way nicer than the LJ series, so I'm pretty excited about getting it.

8. steve_chiro

steve_chiro Member

I checked out the website. They seem really interesting. That forty watter is pricey though, ouch!

9. go7

go7 Member

Mark lives nearby. The 30 is Killer!

10. pickslide

So tell us more. This is what I am looking for, somebody who has played a 30W Stephenson. How would you describe the clean tones?

11. go7

go7 Member

Well because you can use different tube combinations in the power section, very versatile. Mark has the power scaling thing down.So you can play the pre amp at any level. result, low volume high gain sounds, infinite control. You can keep your settings and increase the power to play a gig. Mark is a true innovator so sounds kinda Marshally or Fendery really don`t apply. Very fine tone! Cleans to screams. His Stagehog is in another league. Good Luck!

12. Scottone

Scottone Silver Supporting Member

My LJ-15 was the same way...really didn't sound exactly like anything else out there.

I used it for everything from old-country to classic rock and it delivered the goods.

13. grantster

grantster Member

My 30 watter is 75% finished right now. It is power scaled with a function that bypasses the eq (very cool), and allows you to combine different types of power tubes. I have played many of his amps and they are amazing. They take pedals very well also. I also own his stage hog pedal and an FMD booster pedal. The FMD is one of the best bang for your pedals out there IMO. I also had him build me a rangemaster pedal.early . He does great work. Great guy.

Grant

14. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

I can't figure out which "Stephenson" I played a while back but it was whichever one makes the Stage Hog pedal. It was a great amp at a great price with loads of features.

15. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

That's the guy they are talking about. Here is a link:

http://www.stephensonamps.com/

16. SuperSoundMusic

SuperSoundMusic Member

Yep thats the one I played. Really cool amp.