Stere-uhoh? Stereo/Phase issues?

blowery

So, setting my board up last night in stereo, and strange things are happening.
That or I don't get stereo.

Signal Chain:
Guitar>ST300>Source Audio KM(mono)>Ethos ODS>DIG>Brigadier>Flint >stereo/mono patch bay Left side Quilter Mini101, Right Side Vox AC15cc1x.

Weird phase sounds...not too mention ground loop issues. I'm tackling phase first.

First off: removed the patch bay, same issues.
I decided to record it. Here's what I get. One side much louder, other sounds "distant"
First section is stereo, repeat of first is panned hard one side then the other to hear.
Recording is DIRECT, so no amps involved (no speaker sim either, was just testing)

The BRIG really sounds like it's only one side, delays are weird, reverb sounds funky.
So struggling, I tore everything apart a few times. Went to single pedals, still sounds funky.

BUT! As i was just typing this out this morning, I had as homer simpson would say, "an epiphitree" maybe...
latest

I have all my strymon pedals jumpered to stereo on the inside. Being that my DIG is my first Stereo pedal in the chain receiving a "mono" signal from the Ethos, I'm guessing I should NOT have set that jumper to stereo? Would that explain said wackiness?

Last edited:

stinkfoot

I have all my strymon pedals jumpered to stereo on the inside. Being that my DIG is my first Stereo pedal in the chain receiving a "mono" signal from the Ethos, I'm guessing I should NOT have set that jumper to stereo? Would that explain said wackiness?
That would certainly be a possible explanation as to why one side sounds louder than the other.

You could also have a phase problem, due to the amps being out of phase. That should be solve-able at the same time as the ground loop hum, by simply adding an isolation device (such as the Suhr buffer) to the line to one of the amps. A good one will also have a phase switch. But you're never going to be able to hear if you have a phase issue before you've sorted the stereo input thing with the DIG.

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Tru just one pedal , mono in, stereo out. If still whacky your amps out of phase and you need to swap around the speaker +- in one of them.

blowery

That would certainly be a possible explanation as to why one side sounds louder than the other.

You could also have a phase problem, due to the amps being out of phase. That should be solve-able at the same time as the ground loop hum, by simply adding an isolation device (such as the Suhr buffer) to the line to one of the amps. A good one will also have a phase switch. But you're never going to be able to hear if you have a phase issue before you've sorted the stereo input thing with the DIG.

Forgot to mention, the recording was done direct so no amps involved and still the spacey sound. I will edit the first post.

blowery

Tru just one pedal , mono in, stereo out. If still whacky your amps out of phase and you need to swap around the speaker +- in one of them.

I tried though 3 amps/combinations of them, all had said weirdness.

stinkfoot

Forgot to mention, the recording was done direct so no amps involved and still the spacey sound. I will edit the first post.
Ah, then you may not have a phase issue with the amps. Or at least, not one that is detectable at the moment :) As mentioned before, start by putting the DIG back to mono input mode. Also, I assume you're using the correct 2xTS -> TRS "insert" type cable for the DIG -> Brigadier -> Flint connections?

Blix

Wannabe Shredder
Silver Supporting Member
Recording direct shouldn't make any difference if the amps are out of phase, but that makes it easier to troubleshoot, flip the phase on one of the tracks and see what happens.

blowery

Ah, then you may not have a phase issue with the amps. Or at least, not one that is detectable at the moment :) As mentioned before, start by putting the DIG back to mono input mode. Also, I assume you're using the correct TRS -> 2xTS "insert" type cable for the DIG -> Brigadier -> Flint connections?

lol, yes get problem 1 out of the way.

I"m using EBS TRS insert cables into Brig>Flint.
ebs_icy-30.jpg

stinkfoot

Perfect! I just went back and listened to the recording. It's actually a rather nice sound - a quite wide stereo image, with the dry signal panned hard left. But possibly not what you were after :D So go back to the DIG and set it up for mono input, and you should have dry signal on both sides. From there, any phase issues should be very evident - just turn the fx off and play through both amps. If it sounds thin and hollow compared to when you turn one of the amps off, you need to phase reverse one of them. If not, it's ok (but you may still need to add something to cure that ground loop).

blowery

Perfect! I just went back and listened to the recording. It's actually a rather nice sound - a quite wide stereo image, with the dry signal panned hard left. But possibly not what you were after :D So go back to the DIG and set it up for mono input, and you should have dry signal on both sides. From there, any phase issues should be very evident - just turn the fx off and play through both amps. If it sounds thin and hollow compared to when you turn one of the amps off, you need to phase reverse one of them. If not, it's ok (but you may still need to add something to cure that ground loop).

It is a good sound, it's just WAY out of balance. The one channel is cranked and the other normal. I just though that when I was typing out mono from Ethos into DIG....hmmm I'm not sure it's DRY/WET setup either, it's just kinda funky. One side really effected, the other side normal.
I do like the "wide" sound but I think that is different than what I was trying to achieve at the moment. Hoping I get a chance to mess with it at lunch, but it might be tonight.

thanks for the help! It might be on to ground loop next. :confused:

blowery

So...UPDATE!

Went home at lunch and opened up the DIG. Switched back to mono input and turned everything on with fingers crossed.

images

WOW! Sounds fantastic!!!

Problem Solved:
It was definitely the stereo input setting on the DIG. Sounds HUGE! For future reference.

If you have never played stereo before, I highly recommend it.

And as a side not, the Stereo Summing patch bay I got from Analog Endeavors seems to work just fine! Thanks all!

blowery

So here's a recording I did last night. Man stereo sounds HUGE! This is direct.

Ethos>DIG>Flint >Garageband

Ethos>Brig>Flint

Here is a recording that shows the stereo sound, then switching to mono with the patch bay and then centering the mono track.
At the end there is almost like a "flanger" tone going on. Maybe phasing with summing to mono?
Stereo Summing switch:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom