Stereo 2x12 guitar cabinet?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by TimberCraftCabs, Jan 21, 2015.

1. TimberCraftCabs

TimberCraftCabs Member

I'm building a 2x12 speaker cabinet and my customer asked if I could wire it for stereo. I see the advantage of having a left and a right split between two cabs set far apart, but I'm having trouble understanding the advantage of having L/R in one enclosure. Can you really hear a difference?

2. Rex Anderson

Rex Anderson Member

If you can feed it a true discrete stereo signal, effects like stereo chorus sound wider.

The classic amp is the Roland JC-120.

3. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

Sure. I've got an over-sized 2x12 LopoLine loaded in stereo with a Celestion Gold and Scumback H55-65 that I occasionally use with a Mesa Studio Pre-, TC-2290 Delay and Mesa 50:50 power amp. The stereo separation is quite pronounced, especially with ponged delay settings (almost Magnatone-ish).

4. caminton

caminton Member

http://swartamps.com/swart_st-stereo.htm
    Not to steal a design for you, but here's an example of a cool stereo cab. There's another company that makes something like this but for the life of me I can't think of their name...

5. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

I understand your concern. I would much rather have two separate cabs for running stereo effects. Even if you can't put some distance between them, at least pointing them in different directions helps to create a wider sound. Playing in stereo with two speakers right next to each other pointed in the same spot doesn't make much sense to me. I will say, however, that if you mic both speakers in a flat front stereo cab you can send that out to a P.A. and have it split there. And you wouldn't have to haul around two separate cabs. So I could see it being useful if that's how you plan to run it.

6. Bandalero

Bandalero Member

No doubt - I totally agree. If I'm wanting true stereo FX, a stereo 2x12 wouldn't be my first choice either. I use a pair of EVM-12Ls in a wet/dry/wet rig with my Mesa setup (as referenced above) for most everything in stereo, but I still like to use my stereo 2x12 for certain apps, like in front of a pedal steel that I occasionally use - it provides some added dimension and texture that is missing in a standard (mono) cab.

7. CheeseGrater

CheeseGrater Member

Even if you can't hear the difference, if you have a rack power amp, which often are stereo, you want a stereo cab to use both sides of the power amp. Especially if you are say running a Velocity 100, often one side of that power amp just won't cut it in a band situation - so you want a stereo cab to get the full power from the power amp.

8. Laurent Brondel

Laurent Brondel Supporting Member

Yes you can without a doubt, even more when the cab is miced in stereo through the PA.

9. xtian

xtian Member

10. PushedGlass

PushedGlass Member

I'd wonder if also you'd want a baffle between the two speakers.

11. SteveO

SteveO Member

I have my Mesa Recto 2x12 split to stereo for this exact reason-my Marshall 9100 is two independent amps in one chassis, so it can't be bridged. The intensity of the stereo effect isn't nearly as pronounced as a pair of 1x12s set ten feet apart, but you can still hear a bit of separation from straight on.

12. Mattbedrock

Mattbedrock Silver Supporting Member

I have a couple of cabs wired stereo, both 2x12 and 2x10. In addition to the above referenced ability to run stereo, especially miked up, it also allows (with 2 8 ohm speakers) running both in 4 ohm/ (parallel) or 16 ohms (series) with the appropriate cables or a special jack plate like the one referenced above. This allows me to easily use the cabs with Fender type heads (usually 4 ohm) and Brit style heads (Orange, Hiwatt, Marshall) that often prefer 16 ohms.