Stereo amp setup or wet dry

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by toolshed, Mar 10, 2017.

Which would you do

Poll closed Apr 9, 2017.
  1. Wet dry rig

6 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Stereo rig

2 vote(s)
    25.0%
  1. toolshed

toolshed Member

I'm considering to do one or the other. What have your results rendered? What would you suggest and what tips would you give in running two amps?

2. p.snail

p.snail Member

Check this out. These guys did a cool video on the topic.

It would be Wet/Dry for me. Just seems more practical from room to room. Most PAs are mono anyway.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  3. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Member

My next acquisition will likely be a good ABY box to try a wet/dry setup. Stereo sounds like it would be fun to play with, especially solo or for fun, but seems like it might get lost, or muddy things up in a live situation (not that I gig often).

I've got 2 15 watt amps and one does dirt really well, and the other does great cleans. I want to have a nice clean and dry signal that's "always there" to give note definition.

Just the spread on it's own is really nice. My 1x12 combo with 1x12 extension cab sounds huge.

4. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

The way I do wet/dry is using a CAE Line Out Box between the amp output and speaker in my Wonderdawg combo (50w blackface-style), the line out goes into the fx return of a simple Boss Katana, which is then used to amplify the tone of the other amp. And I can add effects before hitting the fx return. Sounds HUGE.

5. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I run wet dry wet. So stereo with wet dry

6. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Member

That's interesting that they seemed to be doing a wet (clean) and dry (dirty). I was thinking clean and dry on one side and wet and dirty on the other.

Just from experiences recording with a clean dry signal.

When I get an ABY I will try both. I wondering what the least expensive unit that will do the job for me is. One of my amps has a ground lift switch, so I'm think that if I don't have any phase issues a fairly inexpensive pedal might work ok. I wish my local GC carried a better selection so I could try some cheaper ones out and return them easily if they don't cut it.

7. Gary Brennan

Gary Brennan Old cavorting member Gold Supporting Member

Have been doing wet/dry for several years, cabs stacked vertically. W/D seems to yield a more defined dry voice image (at least on stage) than 2 cab stereo with dry included in both, due to the isolation/separation effect, while still providing a nice 3D image. I think W/D/W would be ideal if one can deal with a 3 cab schlep, but an isolated dry cab source seems to provide the best results live in my experience.

Gb

toolshed likes this.
  8. 4finger

4finger Member

I've been using a W/D for a little while but I think I want to go back to stereo. I think I may have liked it better. I really dug the incredible sounds that the Strymon timeline/big sky/mobius were generating in stereo. And I wasn't able to get a consistent W/D sound that I was happy with (I imagine it'd be a lot easier with 2 of the same amps...). So I'm going to rewire the board back to stereo today, even though I agree with the theory from that pedal show's episode (you retain the clean attack in the dry amp). I think the only way a wet/dry setup might work for me was if it was a W/D/W setup... :D

9. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Stereo done right is awesome.