Stereo Effects Experimentation

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Slideman, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Slideman

Slideman Member

I spent a few hours this AM setting up my rig for stereo operation ...mind you it took me nearly 25 years to finally use the "other" jack on my pedals...the results were sonically amazing...don't know why I waited so long.

I'm currently using a Boss BCB-60 pedalboard, running stereo out from the Boss RE-20 space echo to two amps; a Fender HRD and a Top Hat CR 1x12 spaced about 9 feet apart. The pedalboard also has an Analogman TS-9, Keeley BD-2, Boss DD-2 and Analogman TR-2.

The spatial echos from the RE-20 running through both amps gave a HUGE wide sound that completely enveloped the room. By stepping on the Tremolo (TR-2) with the RE-20 engaged, the tremolo was bouncing/pulsing back and forth between both amps via the RE-20 echos...it was amazing.

I also plugged in a Boss CE-5 (as a stereo "in") to the RE-20 and that yielded a very wide and thick sound (but I'm not a big fan of chorus).

Then I ran the DD-2 into the RE-20 set to different timing and it yielded a very "Edge-like" stereo operations, especially with the slight OD/chime of the Top Hat. Can't believe I waited this long to try this (the wife was out of the house for a few hours) :JAM

Anyone have other recommendations for unique stereo effects? What else do you guys like to experiment with in stereo?

2. mike@nortoncable.com

mike@nortoncable.com Member

Sir welcome to the best tone of your life :AOK
    You've discovered stereo effects now you must try a DUAL Gain setup.

Run some distortion/dirt boxes into each amp with a unified input from 1 guitar to 2 pedals :) super heavy sounds- you'll need an A/B box with ground lifts to do this but its worth every penny.

aside the dual gain

stereo chorus into stereo delay sounds awesome.
    A stereo AUTO Pan pedal - chorus delay setup is really spacey.
    Ping pong delays

Any pedal with stereo input/output is a good thing :)

Check out my rig photo its stereo.

3. NicDo

NicDo Member

H &K Rotosphere LIVES in stereo land!

4. Slideman

Slideman Member

Thanks for those great suggestions -- once I get a handle on this, I'll definitely try the drives next. You have an excellent rig --- how did you hook up the ChoralFlange? Is that a stereo "in" into the DD-20?

By the way, I tried plugging back into one amp (ala mono) and couldn't believe how my sound was so one dimensional. It doesn't occur to you the vast tonal improvements are, until you try going back to playing "normal" and realize that you can't...everything sounds flat.

5. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

I've just started looking at that other jack on some of my pedals too as well as scouring around looking for another amp to go stereo too. Thing is, I have a TC stereo chorus/flange, stereo Retrosonic analogue delay (although the 2nd output is really just a direct out), and an old stereo Boss Dimension C, but they're all mono input.
    What does everyone else do? My plan is just to use the Dimension C as the stereo splitter at the end of the chain because it has the depth, but then everything else is running in mono. It would be nice to get that TC chorus running in stereo too.
    Any thoughts?

6. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Try some wet/dry with your space echo (I don't know if it does that, but its awesome with the DML) A Timefactor is also amazing for a stereo setup, because stereo depth is added to pretty much every setting.

I'm blown away every time I play with just one amp... so empty in comparison. I run an AC30 and a Hot Rod DeVille, so I have both el84's and the 6L6's to fill in all the tonal gaps. Its nice to have the DeVille for the clean headroom and the AC30 is great for the breakup.

7. devnulljp

devnulljp Member

Thanks for the input.Yes, the delay does one channel wet one dry. what I was thinking though is that using only one pedal as the stereo splitter you lose out having the others running in mono. Does anyone run multiple stereo boxes into a small mixer, then run that out to two amps for stereo?

My chain looks like this:
    Wah -> bunch of dirt boxes -> TC stereo chorus -> Retrosonic stereo delay -> Boss DSD-2 (mono) delay -> Boss (stereo) Dimension C -> Amp

So, I'm looking to add another amp and run stereo, but if I use the TC chorus as the split, I lose delay on one channel; the way I'm thinking about doing it is with the Dimension C, but then the chorus is running in mono.

Would a mini mixer be the answer? Any suggestions?

(Of course there's also the question of running one amp clean and another dirty...just to complicate things).