Stereo Flanging Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thruzero, May 4, 2016.

1. thruzero

thruzero Member

In Garageband and Logic there is a stereo flanger preset where the left channel flange moves up while the right channel flange moves down and vice-versa. I'd call it dual inverse stereo flanging if I had to give it a name. Anyway, it's a super cool effect.

Does anyone know of a stereo flanger pedal that can duplicate this effect? It would be nearly impossible to achieve this by running two identical flangers in stereo and trying to set the rate controls so that they would continue to run in this inverse up and down flanging mode as they would surely start slipping out of their inverse sync after a while. Hope I've made all this clear. Thanks in advance for your time guys!

2. minty901

minty901 Member

TC Electronic Vortex CAN'T do this, as the effect itself is just dual mono, just in case you come across that suggestion and start thinking it can.

The flanger mode on the Nux Mod Core / Donner Alchemy (they're the same pedal under two different brands) does have stereo width to the flanging where the left and right are somewhat out of sync, but I'm not sure if they are entirely the inverse of each other. I'll see if I get a chance to play around with it later.

3. Saint Luminus

Saint Luminus Member

I have no idea if there is a pedal which can do this. But there are fairly inexpensive and old rack units which can do this easily enough

Javiceres likes this.
  4. Modulator

Modulator Member

I dunno about going up or down, but the Strymon orbit's stereo swirls in a circle (the right and left outputs don't sound out of sync, just off phase from each other).

5. thruzero

thruzero Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

I've heard the Strymon Orbit, it does seem to swirl back and forth (which sounds cool) but that's not what I'm looking for.

What I'm talking about is not a spatial effect, the left and right flangers don't cross through the stereo field. Rather it's the flange sweeps that move up and down inversely, each flanger stays in it's own channel (left and right) but when the left flanger is sweeping up the right one is sweeping down and vice-versa.

I don't think any stereo flanger pedal currently made can do this but I'm hoping that someone out there can tell me otherwise.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. minty901

minty901 Member

i got it! source audio mercury flanger. if you connect it with the neuro app you can choose the "channel 2 lfo offset" as they put it. im pretty sure thats what youre looking for, if you set it to 180 degrees or something.

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Sounds like what my old PDS 20/20 does, each side is just a 100% phase inverted signal of the other side. Thought most stereo flangers did same thing. RDS 4000 rack does it too.

8. ERGExplorer

ERGExplorer Member

My first thought, although it won't be a left/right split IIRC, would be using a TC Nova modulator with synch'ed LFOs, one side on positive and the other on negative summing.

Interesting idea. This makes me want to experiment with the parallel signal paths on the POD HD, first with two synch'ed barberpole phasers inverse to each other, and then with two flangers synch'ed and inverted to each other.

9. thruzero

thruzero Member

Thanks to all those who suggested a rack unit, however as I've already mentioned I am indeed looking for a pedal that can do this.

And very special thanks to minty901, it sounds as if the Source Audio Mercury may be exactly what I'm looking for! I'll check it out for sure.

In retrospect I really should have described this sound as dual 'offset' stereo flanging, not 'inverted'.

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

Maybe the analog TC SCF. The chorus sound in stereo is HUGE because it's true stereo. Maybe the flanger would do the same.