Stereo FRFR : does it exist ?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by blueprint, Nov 14, 2017.

1. blueprint

blueprint Member

I run my kemper direct into foth, in stereo, and use a FRFR for self monitoring. It works, but it's kind of frustrating being in mono. I know I can buy another FRFR, but I would like a lighter and less cumbersome solution. Hence my question : is there a light stereo FRFR on the market ?

2. phil_m

phil_m Supporting Member

The Line 6 Firehawk 1500 is stereo, but lightweight, it ain't...

3. Blix

Blix Member

4. kiki_90291

kiki_90291 Member

Roland Cube Street EX (the big one) - super light weight, super loud, has a weird EQ bump that I can't seem to dial out, but not a fatal issue. Not much stereo separation because the speakers are too close together, but it does sound good.

5. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Gemini 2, Xitone 2x12 cab, and Blueamps has several lighter options. Generally considered not a the best idea though, since the close stereo source can create peaks and valleys in freq because of comb filtering, which is counterproductive to the whole point of FRFR. Read the Matrix Amps article on why they're not making stereo FRFRs. And even for transportation, it's usually easier to lug around two small cabs rather than one big one.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    Sascha Franck and buddaman71 like this.
  6. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life

FWIW, I jammed a KPA through the Mission stereo unit for an hour or so last week and it sounded pretty darn good to me.

7. Guitardave

Guitardave Supporting Member

The Spacestation is stereo - paging @Stevo57 for feedback.

8. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Here's the reading on Stereo FRFRs by Matrix:
    http://usa.matrixamplification.com/faq/stereo-and-frfr.html

Stereo FRFR cab towards the audience, bad idea. But if you're using the stereo FRFR for self-monitoring, it might work OK.
    Note also that most of these stereo FRFR cabs are not wedges, they're box cabs... you're going to have to carry an amp stand or something. Begs the question though, why aren't they made as wedges? Why make them as box cabs when they'll just be problematic as backline or audience facing cabs?

The Spacestation is NOT stereo. It's a "spacious" sound of mono+side. Your L+R effects don't come out as L+R, just a spacious mono. And I would really not recommend it for monitoring purposes since it leaks sound everywhere.

9. MusicLaw

MusicLaw Member

If your needs are for stage monitoring or rehearsal, you might find two FRFR 10" units (or 8" units) positioned a few feet apart, lighter and more convenient (depending on what you are presently using). I use two Yamaha DXR10 spread a few feet. I positioned them as wedges in front of me, or, stand them as backline. They sound great in stereo with my Helix. Or, can be run in Mono.

If your use is near field, at a desk or console, consider a set of Active Studio Monitors in the 5" or 8" class.

For really near field, or couchside tabletop practice, the Yamaha THR10 series of Amps are Stereo and with very good fidelity. They are not marketed as FRFR units, however, when you patch in recorded tracks they sound very good. I use my THR10C via it's Stereo 3.5mm AuxIn jack with my Helix for Stereo monitoring regularly, at very near field, and low to moderate SPLs, and it sounds magnificent. The Yamaha also works great with an Acoustic Electric Guitar, and more. It is not suitable for stage monitoring.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
    yeky83 likes this.
  10. hippietim

hippietim Member

Actually, it really isn't. I had one. I didn't dig it either.

11. hippietim

hippietim Member

It's actually worse than that. Because of the way it slices and dices the signal, you actually get volume drops when you have less processing. And other imbalances as well.

yeky83 likes this.
  12. nicolasrivera

nicolasrivera Member

Yes, but how wide of an stereo field you like will determine the options.

13. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

I realize the Spacestation isn’t true stereo but I do like it for what it is. I have my HS8 stereo pair elevated on my desk and the Spacestation on the floor. It fills out the sound nicely. I traded for a gutted sx3 and contacted Aspen about getting some replacement guts. It took some persistence but he came through and I restored it to working condition. The KPA sounds good through it. Its small and portable. No complaints.

14. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Even if you dig it, it's no good for monitoring on a gig. I just looked it up, 300 degree directivity. It'll create more problems than solve them for monitoring, and mess up house sound, potentially create feedback issues, bandmates tell you to turn down, etc.

I don't mean to poopoo on it, it's a really cool tech, but I dunno what its best use case is. I guess it's good as a somewhat better than mono small cab, to fill a small club or a coffeehouse type gig. Doesn't seem to get too loud, and limited bottom end 100Hz so doesn't excel as a PA either... Nice for jam sessions? Dunno, a lot of compromises. Super small though.

15. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

I've been using a Space Station for years with none of the problems you've described. I use it as a component on a wet/dry rig and it sounds great. I send stereo effects from the helix and mono comes out my guitar amp. I have tried using it with small gigs, but it's not powerful enough to play with a loud drummer. True, it's not descrete stereo, but it gives a nice stereo effect and my band mates tell me they can hear me better with it. They are coming out with a larger more powerful unit that might work as an FRFR system. I haven't tried it.

16. yeky83

yeky83 Member

Glad it works for you! Still not a good choice for OP with his monitoring + FOH situation.

17. Stevo57

Stevo57 Supporting Member

Some of us play specifications and some of us have actually tried the gear.

johnnymegabyte likes this.
  18. hippietim

hippietim Member

If it's not where your fundamental tone is coming from then I could see how the Space Station would be cool. I don't like dragging more gear around than I need to so I didn't consider it like this.

19. johnnymegabyte

johnnymegabyte Member

two Tech 21 Power Engines. and each unit is light & loud 60 watts.

20. yeky83

yeky83 Member

lol don't get your feelings hurt man, I'm sure it works great for your use. No need to be passive aggressive, let's discuss.
    OP asked for a stereo FRFR for monitor+FOH use. First, Spacestation v3 is "100Hz-20kHz Usable," which is a non-spec, so doesn't really fit the FRFR criteria. It has 300 degree dispersion, not great for monitoring. For $800, it's a poor choice for OP. That's all.