Stereo head? WTF?

Discussion in 'The Rack Space' started by TheDentist, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

2. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Did YOU try it?
    You know... concepts and ads are one thing, facts... another.
    It doesn't impress me on the paper... documentation is quite poor. No specs on FX sends/returns... those are very important. I'd like to know more.
    It should be tested to get the idea of how that feed from the dry sound sounds like once sent to the effects. That's not a minor detail. A lot of tonal changes can happen in that very place.
    Separate cabs improve the stereo field a lot.
    The modularity of a system is always a plus as you can make choices for every single part of it and/or change only what you need to.
    And the W/D/W thing isn't really what this is about. If you have a stereo system with the effects running separately (parallel) from the dry you have a great tone and avoid all the phase issues short time based fx will create and the unbalanced mix between dry and wet.
    A stereo head with proper fx interfacing and a couple of cabs is still a hard to beat configuration.

iam_krash likes this.
  3. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

I was really happy with my Rivera S-120 2x12 combo for quite a while, but it was such a PITA to move at barely under 100lbs, I considered getting a head shell made for it, but ended up going a different direction. It's still a good amp though.

4. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Possibly the heaviest thing I touched!

5. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

I played with a guy who had one of those Rivera TBR-1M rack amps. It was a beast even with 2 guys if you had to get it up to chest level.

6. cbm

cbm Silver Supporting Member

When I got it, I played through it and was happy with the sound, and happy it had quite good speakers in it, and then I gigged with it a little. OMG it still sounded wonderful, but it was going to take me weeks in traction to recover. It did teach me that stereo is very useful, even if there's negligible separation between the speakers, though.

italo de angelis likes this.
  7. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Heck, if we're going there, the Rockman XP100 was stereo as well-analog mono input, analog stereo effects plus stereo send/return effects loops. Still solid state, though.

I have to ask, though, why compromise by having the preamp and the power amp in the same chassis? You have more risk of noise in the preamp since you can't really build a Faraday cage around it when it's in the same box, plus you're sharing a power supply. I'm far happier with the concept of one (or more) preamps into the proper size of power amp (you know, run the small rig into a Mesa 20/20 and the one for shed shows into a Mesa 90/90 or VHT maybe. Then you can run your true stereo effects, and if you're fussy about those things use a transformer coupling to give you balanced inputs/outputs.

8. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Frenzel make a stereo amp fwiw.

Something I've idly wondered from time to time is a setup with two pickups playing at the same time but not combined. i.e. stereo (or dual mono) out from the guitar two separate amps. I've always assumed there must be some issue(s) involved but figured it would/could be fun to mess about with.

9. mark123

mark123 Member

I've been running a Frenzel FM-800z preamp as my #1 preamp for awhile now and have been really happy with it. Saw they came out with the STS 88 (Super Twin Stereo 88) head around 6 months ago. I've been saving my penny's for one.
    http://frenzeltubeamps.com/page75.php

j.s.tonehound likes this.
  10. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Gibson ES355 and Kramer Ripley.

11. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Yeah that's the one I was thinking of. Looks like nice kit.

12. mark123

mark123 Member

Not a kit. Jim hand build's 'em to order in Texas and has been for 20+ years. He uses quality parts, point to point hand wiring and will customize to your wishes if he can. My FM-800z was my first swim into the somewhat boutique world and has to be about the biggest bang for the buck around, cheaper than a few pedal's I've purchased over the years. I ordered up mine with a 1 watt 12at7 power tube option for grins thinking I might use it as a practice amp on occasion but end up using it more often than not as a dedicated dry monitoring output or part of a low wattage WDW home setup with a stereo Lexicon 284 used as a wet power amp. My only regret was not ordering up the rack version.

13. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Sorry that's my bad. I was saying "kit" as in piece of gear.

They do look like very nice amps. And pretty much perfect for this kind of thing.

14. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Have you ever tried either? Presumably if so it wasn't what you were looking for / liked?

15. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

I tried the old 355. Wasn't much fun.
    The Ripley was a more interesting stereo gtr, with an on board panning mixer, but I never tried it.
    In the 2000s Gibson made a series of guitar with a new connection, it was an ethernet cable; they were looking for other brands to support it but it didn't happen.
    I saw the demo.... and it was stunning.

16. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

I remember that being released and then never hearing anything about it again. Seems like it never found a market. I thought it looked interesting but didn't know what I'd do with all the extra features. Now it looks like a lot of fun.

17. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member

Gibson was basically proposing a new standard... so the whole meaning of it was to have partners joining in. Yamaha seemed to be interested but then nobody showed up and obviously Gibsin would have been at total loss if they had gone ahead.
    But it was definitely a great design. In those years the surround audio standards (DVD-A vs. SACD) were growing and getting attention,
    You know how guitarists are... very locked into the past. They use digital technology to "get" past sounds instead of going ahead... kind of a paradox.

18. therhodeo

therhodeo Member

19. italo de angelis

italo de angelis Member