Stereo Memory Man with Hazerai Huh?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gaco, Feb 16, 2009.

1. gaco

gaco Member

Today I went to Guitar Center to buy a MXR Carbon Copy... Ended up with the EH. Good or bad? I've tinkered with it a little, seems cool. Whatta U think? WHAT? not booteek enough?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  2. Panacea

Panacea Member

The Reverse Delay is...:drool. I like some of the Mod stuff as well, good Reverb emulations.

3. Dandy13

Dandy13 Member

awesome pedal with a lot of capabilities

4. martinsmith06

martinsmith06 Member

IMHO, I've been through both, and for me I thought the SMMWH was just too sterile sounding. It's alot of pedal to work with in a small enclosure, which can be fun, but unless you really use all the features, I'd go with the MXR. I've had my CC for about 3-4 weeks now, and if you tweek the modulation in it, you can get some of the most beautiful delays I've heard. For the money, I don't think you can go wrong with it. As for the boutique factor... F' it... if you like it that's really what matters anyway, right?

5. gaco

gaco Member

Thanks for the feedback. It ripps balls off my Boss DD-5. Did I mention it was only $144.99?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2009
  6. NBarnes21

NBarnes21 Member

They are both great pedals IMO, hard to choose between the two. The Carbon Copy is so amazing sounding, and the SMMH does so many things. If you need all the extra stuff like the looper that the SMMH offers, then stick with that. If all you're after is a great sounding simple 3 knob delay, then you can't go wrong with the Carbon Copy.

7. thetangmang

thetangmang Member

It's a great pedal. It was also on sale in GC this weekend. Hopefully they get the new XO DMM and Tone Wicker Big Muff in the stores soon since there aren't any local stores in my area...as much as I hate GC, it's a better option than the local stores for gear.

8. BoyWearingVans

BoyWearingVans Member

I'm loving mine.

Spend some time w the manual, it will be well worth the time.

9. etc

etc Member

All the people that I know who have one love them. I think they sound incredible, it's just a matter of how many options you need in a delay pedal. The carbon copy is a great pedal too, but it can't do what the memory man does. Two completely different pedals.

10. jmecale72

jmecale72 Member

I like mine. I must admit that I really haven't spent much time "playing" with it. I've only spent time dialing in a delay. I really need to sit there and figure out the other things I can with it.

11. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

Hmm...I don't care for the SMMH at all.

To me the delays were very bland and just blah sounding. Someone mentioned sterile and I would definitely have to agree. I also didn't like what it did to my tone.

The features didn't sell me on the pedal either. I'm a big fan of modulation and I simply didn't care for it on this one.

12. fabulusfab777

fabulusfab777 Member

Well for me it's a keeper for the moment. Sounds great to my ear. Not an analog delay and if i was after an analog delay it's not the pedal i would buy. But for all the features like stereo output, the preset you can store, the modulation and also the looper wich unlike some i really like and do use, it's a great pedal.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  13. vicenzajay

vicenzajay Member

My experience as well - if you take your time dialing in the presets, you can get some very nice delay and reverb sounds. The looper is quite useful if you set up the knobs correctly for that purpose, and the reverse delay is very cool.

Analog sounding it is not, however, so keep that in mind. Personally I think running something like an MXR into the SMMH is really the way to go - some tunes/sonic scapes really need the analog sound, and some sound better with the more "separate" sounding digital stuff. Additionally, it is very useful to have another delay in front of this (or any looper) when looping. Much easier to have a musical "play-through" sound when overlaying on the recorded loop.

Just my .02

14. DaveinLondon

DaveinLondon Member

+1

I'm running Line 6 DL4 > EHX SMMH > Boss RC-2. The SMMH gets used for a very subtle delay/reverb effect, a flanger sound I found in the 300ms+mod section, and some occasional short loops.

15. EricPeterson

EricPeterson Member

I love my SMMH, but my plan is to get a CC to run in front of it, best of both worlds. FWIW with the tone control on the repeats and the reverb control in the echo settings I think you can get some very warm delay sounds, set it up in stereo with the ping pong and it is very very cool. I also really dig the moduladed delay, in all a great pedal.