• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

stereo pedalboard -- easy conversion to mono?

zwolf

So I run a stereo rig most of the time, taking advantage of my H9, Timeline and Flints' stereo capacities at the end of my chain. But for some gigs, I'll need to only bring one amp due to small stage size and run things in mono. Some of my delays are set up to ping pong b/w the two amps, and I want an easy way to make sure I'm not losing half the signal at times, without having to go back into the algorithms and reconfigure the delays from series to parallel.

Also, I'd like to find a way other than removing the right input cable from H9 > TL and TL to Flint, especially since I'm running stereo into the Flint with a stereo TRS cable...

Is there some simple summing box that could take care of this? I suppose an ABY would do it in reverse? Any downside to doing it that way?

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
I think the Stereo Wet can do this. Rumor is that the new Bearfoot Echoverb might be able to do this as well..

zwolf

Yeah, jealous of the Wet's capacity to sum to mono when only one input is engaged. Looking to do this without changing my effects, looking for some simple summing box that will not degrade my signal...

thiscalltoarms

more gadgets than Batman.
Platinum Supporting Member
Yeah, jealous of the Wet's capacity to sum to mono when only one input is engaged. Looking to do this without changing my effects, looking for some simple summing box that will not degrade my signal...
I haven't heard of a summing box like that without signal degrades, but if you find one that would be interesting to me!

baggas

Yes I've use the WET stereo for this exact reason. It was one of the features that sold me on the pedal (in addition to it's fantastic sound of course). Wonder if the other neunaber stereo boxes, like the new Slate, do the summing as well??

But like you others, I also would be very interested to hear about a quality summing box - such a device in a small enclosure at the end of your chain would be fantastic - choose whether to run in mono or stereo simply by how many cables you plug in. If no-one else makes them, perhaps neunaber could produce something like this quite easily, since they already have the summing algorithms down pat.

danonbass

I've been hunting for a product that does this as well. I know the Stereo Wet does it and I think the Big Sky does as well.

A standalone box would be preferable. I know I saw a custom one made by one of the "Pedalboards of the Stars" guys like Vertex or LA Sound Design. Can't remember who.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LionVerse

Anhedonic Misanthrope
Silver Supporting Member
What about a parallel loop pedal like the x-Blender or Radial BigShot? Left in the input Right in the return?

Or I'm sure someone like T1M would quote you on a custom buffer that could do stereo thru or combine to mono. If you get enough interest here you might even get a better price if you tell you have other buyers lined up so it's not just a one off.

zwolf

Of course, another factor is I'll have to make sure that the H9, TL and Flint algorithms sound as good run stereo and then summed to mono as they would if they were only run mono in the first place. I think I'll experiment with a mixer and have a good listen. I've heard that some stereo effects collapse when summed to mono.

But yeah, a simple box to do this job HAS to be out there somewhere!

mcdes

Member of no importance
Both my boards have the stereo WET as well, not only for great verb, but they are both wired for stereo, and sum to mono without changing anything..... and i dont hear anything missing/degredation

Desperado

Vertex Effects, Inc.
So I run a stereo rig most of the time, taking advantage of my H9, Timeline and Flints' stereo capacities at the end of my chain. But for some gigs, I'll need to only bring one amp due to small stage size and run things in mono. Some of my delays are set up to ping pong b/w the two amps, and I want an easy way to make sure I'm not losing half the signal at times, without having to go back into the algorithms and reconfigure the delays from series to parallel.

Also, I'd like to find a way other than removing the right input cable from H9 > TL and TL to Flint, especially since I'm running stereo into the Flint with a stereo TRS cable...

Is there some simple summing box that could take care of this? I suppose an ABY would do it in reverse? Any downside to doing it that way?
This is a rig that I did for Josh Smith that does exactly this:

The thing to be careful of with most stereo interfaces, is that they don't mix the L and R signal again when you go back to mono, you still will either have 100% L or 100% R when you go back to mono which can sound strange, especially when you've got modulation or time-based effects. All of the Vertex stereo interfaces always have a custom mixer built into get a true mono signal (with both L and R), at the same time having the ability to run in true stereo.

Hope that helps!

zwolf

The thing to be careful of with most stereo interfaces, is that they don't mix the L and R signal again when you go back to mono, you still will either have 100% L or 100% R when you go back to mono which can sound strange, especially when you've got modulation or time-based effects. All of the Vertex stereo interfaces always have a custom mixer built into get a true mono signal (with both L and R), at the same time having the ability to run in true stereo.

Hope that helps!
Man, that is an awesome board!

So my chain is H9>Timeline>flint. Probing around here a bit more I found a thread where someone said that Rick from Strymon confirmed that the Flint sums to mono when the right output is removed (emailing Strymon for confirmation of this, of course). If that's the case, then I'd be set by doing so, and the the TL and H9 stereo signals would be summed back to mono at the Flint.

I'd test this with my own ears, but icy weather has kept me away from my pedalboard since Thursday...

Desperado

Vertex Effects, Inc.
Man, that is an awesome board!

So my chain is H9>Timeline>flint. Probing around here a bit more I found a thread where someone said that Rick from Strymon confirmed that the Flint sums to mono when the right output is removed (emailing Strymon for confirmation of this, of course). If that's the case, then I'd be set by doing so, and the the TL and H9 stereo signals would be summed back to mono at the Flint.

I'd test this with my own ears, but icy weather has kept me away from my pedalboard since Thursday...
Glad it helped! The Flint does sum to MONO when the (R) output is unplugged, however depending on how it mixes the L and R of your other pedals, it may not sound right still. This is why I use the mixer at the end of the signal path by way of the buffer/interface so I can ensure the mix of L and R is exactly right. Hopefully this isn't an issue for you.

Stay warm!

baggas

I've been hunting for a product that does this as well. I know the Stereo Wet does it and I think the Big Sky does as well.
Can anyone confirm if this is true for the Big Sky?? I've just built a small pedal board terminating in the BigSky and would love to wire it in stereo if the BigSky will sum like the WET does. Anyone from Strymon around to chime in?

zwolf

Glad it helped! The Flint does sum to MONO when the (R) output is unplugged, however depending on how it mixes the L and R of your other pedals, it may not sound right still. This is why I use the mixer at the end of the signal path by way of the buffer/interface so I can ensure the mix of L and R is exactly right. Hopefully this isn't an issue for you.

Stay warm!
I'll have to do some listening tests. Do you sell your mixers a la carte?

mcdes

Member of no importance
Can anyone confirm if this is true for the Big Sky?? I've just built a small pedal board terminating in the BigSky and would love to wire it in stereo if the BigSky will sum like the WET does. Anyone from Strymon around to chime in?
when i enquired about the bigsky, the answer i got was yes, and no..... as stated above, it more just gives one side rather than summing both left and right.

baggas

when i enquired about the bigsky, the answer i got was yes, and no..... as stated above, it more just gives one side rather than summing both left and right.
In other words, No.
If you lose a side then that's not the true summing we seek.

danonbass

Unfortunately I don't...sorry!!!
Aw man!! Too bad... :/

Anyone know if someone else builds the box we are seeking?

^ This is what I have found with my Flint in listening tests. I was hoping perhaps the Big Sky was different.

AceBSpankin

Prince of Ales
Gold Supporting Member
I have a Stereo Supa-Trem last on my board, does it do the summing thing??
I have a rehearsal coming and it's 3 hours away, thinking I would just bring 1 Mesa LSS.
And was thinking the same thing, how is this going to work??

Top Bottom