Stereo phasing solutions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HughesP, Feb 10, 2015.

1. HughesP

HughesP Member

I want to be able to run 2 amps in stereo coming from a stereo effects pedal - like my timeline.

To eliminate ground loops, I picked up a behringer hum destroyer (HD400) used for $10. It works great - BUT, it doesn't have the ability to switch the phase on the amps.

I've seen a number of ABY boxes that have phase reverse, but that isn't exactly what I want. I want to have stereo in - stereo out with a phase reverse. I'm sure there are some, but I don't know what they are...

I know I can just play with speaker cable polarity, but I often have to rely on backline, where it would be much more of a pain trying to trouble shoot on the fly, rather than simply having something on my board that could quickly flip the phase on one of the amps.

2. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

You can very simply match them by switching the polarity of the speakers on one of the amps. Having then in phase is the first step, deciding which phase sounds best is the second (determining which amp to alter the speaker's phase when matching them).

3. HughesP

HughesP Member

Yes, but as I mentioned - I often rely on backline, so it is trickier to swap the speaker polarity - especially if you come to a combo where someone has soldered the speaker connections!

4. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I use an Axess Electronics BS-2 for this application...you can run it on one channel of your last effect to swap the phase...or you can run it from you last mono out effect into your first stereo in effect to do the phase reversal...works great...the buffer it awesome as well...

It has an ISO out so it will probably take care of any ground issues as well between the 2 amps...

He no longer makes them but they pop up used a lot...usually around $150...

5. maddtapper

maddtapper Member

Pick up a radial big shot aby... They are about $50. One output has a phase switch... Just use it inline with one of your stereo outputs... Works great...

6. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    Wounded Paw has devices that correct phasing.