Stereo Rig Amp Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Matt P, Apr 19, 2016.

1. Matt P

Matt P Member

Hello, I'm currently running a Carr Mercury and a vintage 68 deluxe reverb.

I'm thinking the Carr at 8 watts is not the best match with the Deluxe.

Question: I'm looking at Two Rock Studio's. They have stopped making the 22watt (though I could still find it online) they're now making 35watt and up. So do I get the 22 to match the deluxe or will the 35 be just as good a match?

Addendum: only reason I don't get a second deluxe is I've got an FX loop on my pedalboard, figured I may as well have an amp with a loop as well....or should I .....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2016
  2. jota

jota Member

I really don't see the advantage of having two amps with the same sound.
    I much prefer using two different voiced amps.
    BF+Vox is my favorite combo.
    Sorry if this doesn't help.

3. stevel

stevel Member

Just my $.02 worth:

The stereo rig is a neat experiment, but wholly unpractical in all but a very limited amount of situations.

The people who it seems to be benefit the most are bedroom players and touring pros.

It sounds like from your wording, that you're "thinking" the 8 watt Carr is not a good match. Question: Have you actually TRIED it?

And are you running a "stereo" rig, or just a "dual amp" rig?

35 Watts does not necessarily = 35 watts. It depends on how the amp was designed and what you're trying to achieve. A 22 Wat deluxe turned up to the same overall volume as some other 35 watt - or in some cases, even a 15 watt (!) may have completely different breakup characteristics. If that's what you want, then great. But if you want a "similar sound" from each (which is what it sounds like you're going for), obviously you want something more like the Deluxe.

An amp with an FX loop is definitely a good investment and can be great for certain styles, especially if you have the means.

But what are you trying to accomplish? Do you want two amps that sound similar or dissimilar? Are you driving the the amps hard to get their own gain (and two you want two different types "layered")? Are you setting up ping-pong delays and what not, or are you just trying to get "more sound"?

4. slybird

slybird Member

For home I love a WDW. I don't like WD.

Both are a big hassle live for very little payback. I leave the second amp at home. Gig mono.

I prefer having the same sound out of right and left speaker in my stereo rigs. It sounds off having differnt amps or speaker cabs.

5. e???

e??? Member

I'd go 35 watt. They should sound good together

Barnzy likes this.
  6. Matt P

Matt P Member

Thanks for the replies guys, i am currently running them in stereo from my pedalboard and while it may not be the watts there's just something missing for me from the voicing. I am a bedroom player but will be recording and thats why I'm trying to get the best rig to my ear. All advice is greatly appreciated. There are other amps I've considered but unfortunately they don't have an fx loop, echo park amps, Vox

7. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

In a two amp rig, I prefer to run one amp dirty and one amp "clean or cleanish". It is actually much easier and to my ears, better sounding to have the clean amp with some extra headroom...I'd prefer the 35 watter to pair with the DR.