Stereo rig ideas/suggestions

Dig ?

Silver Supporting Member
hello, im really interested in adding a second amplifier for a stereo rig. I wonder who else is running stereo? what amps you are using and why? Do you channel switch or blend the two? Do you split early and send different pedals to each amp? Lets see those perdy stereo rigs. Im all ears.. Or eyes whatever

Current amp is a markV:25 and a '68 leslie 18

kselbee

This is what I used to use and I highly recommend it...

Put a stereo delay pedal in the loop of your amp and have one out going to the return of your amp and the other into an Electro Harmonix 44 magnum (which is basically a power amp in a pedal) which goes to another cab. I was floored at how good that setup sounded!

treeofpain

Gold Supporting Member
It is a lot of fun to run a dry amp and an effects amp, with a stereo volume pedal to bring in the effects amp as needed.

I have 2 rigs in stereo, use them both essentially the same way:

1) Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 is the main amp, I go into the front of that to get my main tone, gain and eq set to taste. Then from the FX Out of the DSL I go into a Boss GT-100 for stereo delay, chorus and reverb. Then the Left Out of the GT-100 goes back to the FX Return on the DSL; and the Right Out of the GT-100 goes into the front of a Hiwatt DR-103 which is set very clean and neutral, so it doesn't really color the tone any more, just basically re-amps the 2nd side of the stereo signal (the Hiwatt doesn't have an effects looop; if it did, I would send the Right Out of the GT-100 there, but since the DR-103 is a very clean amp with lots of headroom it doesn't make much of a difference). Sounds huge and awesome.

2) In my other setup I use 2-Peavey Bandits (Red-Stripe versions from the mid-2000's) and a Boss GT-10, set up exactly the same as above (IE, guitar into one of the Bandits, FX Out to the GT-10, L/R Outs of the GT-10 back into the FX Returns of both Bandits). Sounds just as huge and awesome.

IMO, when running stereo, you don't want 2 radically different amps with significantly different tones. 2 different tones interfere with eachother. I prefer 2 amps that are the same tone and just use stereo effects to widen and enhance the sound-stage.

Cheers
TRJB

sg~guy

-been doing it forever, always been a MARSHALL guy-(or MARSHALL platform)-I prefer a true stereo rig over anything else

-right now this is my rig setup-

-SG-->analog delay-->BOSS CE300 SUPER CHORUS-(rack mount)

-(L output to MARSHALL 2203KK-->FENDER BASSMAN cab-(pine)-(2x12 GREENBACKS-1X15 FULLBACK)-

-(R output to FRIEDMAN JJ-->4X12-(V30 & 55HZ GREENBACK cab)

-the heart and soul of a good stereo rig is what splits the signal to make it stereo-

-rock that biatch-

Stevo57

I respectfully disagree about not having different amps on each side. I have run at least 5 or 6 different stereo setups and always prefer different circuits. Current setup is:
Guitar-T1m buffer-Chandler SDE-right side output to Zwreck-left side output to Zlux. Sometimes run ouputs from SDE into stereo inputs/outputs of other stereo pedals and then to each amp. I cant go back to one amp after going stereo.

pup tentacle

Silver Supporting Member
I think both amps need to be either the same, or very different. Obviously, two of the same model amps will create a balanced stereo rig, but two very different amps can create a richer overall sound, where each amp fills in sonic gaps left by the other.

My favorite stereo rig so far is my Budda SD30 II paired with my '59 Bassman LTD, with the latter providing a big, clean(ish), full-frequency punch, and the Budda supplying chime, sag, roundness, and rich harmonic aura.

I'm not a fan of the wet/dry setup, at least not in any iteration I've tried. All fx are routed to both amps, and a Lehle Little Dual provides isolation and phase correction.

Putting a Strymon Deco in stereo mode at the end of the chain is a lot of fun. It allows you to send a fully wet signal to one amp, and then delay that signal to create a spread that can be adjusted for width.

Hulakatt

Has done terrible things for a klondike bar
Gold Supporting Member
I just run 2 little SE amps (tweed Champ build and a Gibson GA-5 RI) after a Fulltone ST-2, it's a fun little setup at home and I'd be fine using it for most mic'd gigs.

rstites

I'm putting together a rig to run stereo using my SLO+4x12 dry. I intend to run the DI form the SLO into rackmount effects and into a Rocktron Velocity 300 power amp (clean) into a matching 4x12.

Two SLOs are a bit out of my budget! :)

Dig ?

Silver Supporting Member
Some very very cool ideas guys! Keep em coming I appreciate the feedback

bcmatt

I've been doing stereo a lot in the last 6 months and quite liking it. We hard-pan the two amps in FOH all the way left ad right. I started with a wet/dry/wet setup, but quickly gave it up to just go with two amps and keep it simpler. I also have been not using any effects loops and just going into the front of the amps from my complete pedal board.
I also simplified by staying mono through most of my pedalboard (even through the delay pedals). Then, right near the end of the board I go to the Fulltone Supatrem 2 that has a tap tempo and true stereo panning. I find it way better than the guesswork of messing with delay pedals and trying to figure out how they will ping-pong their delays. This way, I control the panning separately from my delays and even when I don't have delays on. I also easily control the extremity of the stereo effect. Then I go through my RV-6 in stereo and straight to the amps I've paired up for the week.

I've found it's important that the amps are dialed in close enough so that they both work well with any gain pedals I am using on the shared pedalboard... so it's nice if they are working with somewhat close levels of gain/compression... but beyond that, I'm cool with them sounding different now. That's what makes it sound more interesting in the mix. I'm now down to just the amps I've built so they are not the brand name versions, but my own builds that I quite like. I've paired them so far as follows:

Steel String Singer with DC30
Liverpool with Express
DC30 with Liverpool
5E3 with DC30
Steel String Singer with Express (this is quite the pair of opposites, but it sort of still works)

I've installed some different gain pots in the the Trainwreck clones so that I can dial them in a lot cleaner than usual so as to work with the pedalboard.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom