Stereo Rig Users: why does every stereo pedal have to be last?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Funky54, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Funky54

Funky54 Member

I don't get it. I use to run lots of switchers and 3-4 amps to solve these issues. I thought with the new bread of Stereo In & Stereo Out pedals these issues would be gone.... Nope.

Guitar > fixed wah > Butah >

4 TB Looper >

Loop 1 > memory man > i banes PT-9

Loop 2 > option 5 rotation (old box) > supra trem2
    (Left) to AC30 TB
    (Right) to Deluxe Reverb or Marshall 18 watt

Loop 3/4 (one switch scroll) > Scarab or DLS
    Deluxe Reverb Normal channel (sometimes split and Sent to AC 30 normal channel)

Problem, if I use the supa trem2 last, it sounds wonderful but then the Option 5 sounds horrible. (Probably phase cancelation) If I use the Option 5 last then the Supa Trem is mono sounding.

Options?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  2. Paul Anderberg

Paul Anderberg Member

First of all, a lot of stereo pedals are meant to be last by nature (reverbs, delays, trems). Second of all, when you have a stereo pedal then run it through a mono overdrive, you lose the....stereo-ness.

3. stinkfoot

stinkfoot Member

The original Destination Rotation is mono input only, so if the tremolo sits before it, you would indeed have to run mono out from the tremolo. The DR has two outputs that can be set to either "bi-amp" (rotor to one output, woofer to the other) or "flat" (both outputs gets the same signal - dual mono). If you have it set to "bi-amp", you'd indeed get a stereo effect (although it is actually the highs in one amp and lows in the other). If you have it set to "flat", you might as well just use one of the outputs, since it is dual mono rather than true stereo.

Now, you say the Destination Rotation sounds horrible when sitting before the Supa Trem 2 - is that with both pedals on, or just the DR? With both pedals on, I can imagine the tremolo effect might fight a bit with the leslie (since they overlap somewhat, and running both at the same time might create a tug-of-war situation). This is probably made even worse if it has the "phase correlation" pot turned up, to create the stereo effect. I'd probably just avoid using both at the same time.

However, if the DR sounds weird going through the Supa Trem 2 even when the tremolo is off, that's another story...

4. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

To keep it simple: run all the stereo outs into stereo ins and then (stereo) out to 2 amplifiers. My chain is fuzz > volume > delay > chorus stereo out > stereo in delay, stereo out > stereo in shimmer/reverb, stereo out > stereo in looper, stereo out > Fender Pro Reverb and Fender Princeton Chorus.

5. Funky54

Funky54 Member

The path is guitar into Butah, then to a TB loop switcher (the first loop is dmm). The second loop is mono into the pt9. Mono out from the PT9 and then mono into the rotation and stereo out. Then it's stereo into the supa trem. The supa trem stereo out goes left back into the TB loop switch and out to amp A. The second stereo out from the supa (right) goes I to amp B.

With the supa on or off the rotation destination does not sound as good as when it does not go through the supa.