Stereo setup - ideal to mix amps with different wattages?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by guitarrhinoceros, Feb 23, 2012.

1. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

What is the consensus on the stereo approach. There needs to be more literature out there detailing some of the different setups one can have when considering going stereo. I know, I know -- it's really all up to what you like, but surely there have to be some no-nos that newcomers should be aware of. I was contemplating mixing a 100-watt head and a 30-watt head together.

2. '58Bassman

'58Bassman Member

It shouldn't matter- as long as each gets the sound you want and you can set the levels where they need to be for the FOH and monitor mixes, it's a moot point. The sound is what's important, right?

That's the great thing about a mixer- if you hear the end result, it doesn't really matter if the power output is different, especially if it's for a recording.

3. Barnzy

Barnzy Member

From personal experience, I have found that the two amps need to be at the same perceived volume. It doesn't matter if the wattages are different on the amp models, but expect that the 30 watt amp will be dimed and the 100 watt amp will be run at '4' or so. You can hear when you have the volumes matched well.
    Barnzy