Stereo Tremolo?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by leighianson, May 25, 2015.

1. leighianson

leighianson Supporting Member

Lately I've been considering ordering the new CB Gravitas but thought it's quite a lot of cash and doesn't have stereo capabilities.

After thinking about it for a while I don't really think a trem pedal would really benefit from stereo would it? I mean unless it had some sort of tamping feature between left and right kind of like ping pong delay. What does TGP reckon?

2. van_delay

van_delay Member

If you're playing through a stereo rig you will really appreciate a stereo tremolo that pans hard left and right. I think it is one of the most noticeable and cool stereo effects. Take a look at the Fulltone SupaTrem 2 for some awesome stereo goodness. If you are playing through a mono rig most of the time, I would tend to lean toward the most feature-laden tremolo pedal... Which may be the Chase Bliss Gravitas.

3. clarity451

clarity451 Member

I had the Demeter STRM-1 Stereo Tremulator but never got to use it for stereo. Sounded great but no clue what the benefit of the stereo would really be.

4. Godspeed64

Godspeed64 Member

Stereo trem can sound quite awesome. The M-series from Line 6 has different intervals for each output I believe.

5. to_be_released

to_be_released Member

The stereo trem that would tempt me is the seymour duncan shapeshifter. It lets you adjust the relative phase of the trem in each side, so you can get the ping ping thing, completely in phase, or something in between.

6. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

As others have mentioned, if you run a stereo rig, definitely consider a stereo tremolo. The new EHX Super Pulsar and the Fulltone Supa Trem 2 are both really nice sounding stereo tremolos. The EHX is a bit more full featured, and includes some of the more crazy tremolo effects. The Fulltone is a bit more limited and geared more toward traditional, vintage style tremolo effects.

Multicellular and vbrans like this.
  7. MogwaiBoy

MogwaiBoy Member

Adding the HardWire Tremolo/Rotary to this list.

8. vladorg

vladorg Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan's Shape Shifter is a great stereo trem pedal.

9. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

10. Blakemore

Blakemore Member

The Source Audio Vertigo is days away from a release. Im super excited to give it a go in my stereo rig as soon as it becomes available

NHBluesMan and yawiney like this.
  11. leighianson

leighianson Supporting Member

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. So I just checked out some stereo trem pedals with quality headphones and it's quite a mesmerising sound. It seems I now have to decide between the harmonic trem goodness of the gravitas and the flux effects liquid tremolo.

12. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Dunlop and MXR Tremolos.
    Eventide Pitchfactor and Modfactor.

13. jawajt

jawajt Member

I wish the Flint did panning. If a stereo trem doesn't do panning, it's of no use to me. I love my YoungPedals Looker, but they're no longer made. I would go with the new Pulsar from EHX. That thing seems pretty awesome.

14. minty901

minty901 Member

An awesome cheap option (if anywhere is still selling them for dirt cheap like they were last year) would be the Digitech iStomp. It has a patch called snake charmer tremolo which basically works like the old boss tremolo/pan pedal. You can increase a knob to gradually increase the width of the tremolo from completely mono to complete auto-panning. And you can change the shape of the wave and speed and depth obviously. It's a great deal so long as you have access to a 30-pin apple idevice to do the initial loading up of the tremolo patch.

Semitone likes this.
  15. lestera34

lestera34 Supporting Member

Ah, totally missed that.

vbrans likes this.
  16. ringemaster

ringemaster Member

Check out the new EHX Super Stereo Pulsar or the Flux Liquid Tremolo. The Stereo Semaphore is also a decent option...

17. midwayfair

midwayfair Member

The Super Pulsar is basically unbeatable on features ... and I don't really mean "for the price." The regular Stereo Pulsar is also a good deal if you're okay with only square and triangle wave.

One of the best things about a stereo tremolo is that if you set the two amps differently you can create harmonic tremolo (in-phase signals with extreme EQ settings on the amps) and vibe (use a pedal that inverts phase on one side after the tremolo) effects.

18. Madsen

Madsen Member

+1
    i use a Gig FX Chopper on my stereo board & am very happy with it.
    if i had endless supplies of cash i'd be tempted to pick up a Lightfoot Goatkeeper.

19. e???

e??? Member

I've been on a 4 month trem search. I was all set to order the supatrem 2, then I got to try one. While it's a good trem pedal, nothing can ever come close to real amp tremolo. Really. I've tried so many damn trem pedals in the last few months it's crazy. I think my favorite so far is the Fuchs Crème de la trem, but still, it's no tube amp tremolo. So now I'm just saving for a deluxe or Princeton. Sucks, but I NEED that sound badly... If you think about it, a trem pedal just chops up your signal from the guitar, where on an amps tremolo, your guitar hits the preamp tubes, THEN gets chopped up or modulated or whatever. Very different things

20. dirk_benedict

dirk_benedict Supporting Member

My honest experience: I had a basic old Dunlop "purple trapezoid" Stereo Trem for years. Was pretty blah in mono and had awful bypass. One day messing around I tried it into two amps that were separated by a few feet.

I started running a two amp rig after that. Stereo effects can be about the most inspiring experience you can ever have with effects.