Stereo Wet vs Dispatch Master

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Mallory8017, Apr 6, 2015.

1. Mallory8017

Mallory8017 Member

I've had the Hall of Fame for about 3 months now, and while it was great at first (being my first pedal), I can't seem to dial in any good sounds anymore. Toneprints are all too modulated, Church has a weird pitch bending effect at long decay times, and Hall is a little too bland for swells. Between the Neunaber Stereo Wet and the EQD Dispatch Master, which is the best for long, ambient settings? The Wet obviously has stereo and trails, but it's more expensive and everything I've heard about the DM is crazy positive. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Douglas858

Douglas858 Supporting Member

I had them both The DM I had sucked tone big time. The Stereo Wet was great. I ended up with a Flint but the Wet is a killer pedal.

3. Musicmaster

Musicmaster Supporting Member

I can't comment on Douglas' tone sucking issues, as I haven't noticed any with my unit, but I have the DM as well as the Mono WET (which I got because I think the shimmer sounds cheesy and don't need the digital tweaking options offered by Neunaber on the Stereo version). I'm having a very hard time deciding between the two. I purchased both of them so I could A/B them myself and find out which is the better ambient pedal and find out which one I like more, in general... But I really hadn't intended on keeping both of them.

Although I have seen others say otherwise, I don't think that the reverb or the delay on the DM sound any good on their own. I don't like the reverb sound for more subtle applications, such as room reverb. And I don't like using the delay as a stand-alone digital delay unit, as I simply don't think the repeats degrade all that well on their own. Personally, I could never use the DM as my only delay/reverb on my board. If you are looking to buy the DM so it can kick the other verbs and delays off your board and be a 2-in-1 pedal, you may find yourself disappointed. However, with the reverb AND the delay used together (as the pedal was primarily designed to be used) it sounds superb. Especially with the reverb washing out all of the repeats... The more reverb the better with this unit, as far as I can tell (I usually keep it around 3 o'clock). I really like how EQD tailored the delay repeats to blend perfectly with the reverb signal.
    The DM is a pedal that is very fun, but is not one that is 'essential' to my rig or my sound...
    In fact, apart from volume swells, sometimes I have a hard time finding a place for it.

Whereas the WET... I'll say this, if I have to choose one of them, it's a really easy decision for me. Subtle 'room' reverbs are quite believable, hall reverbs sound great for leads with dirt pedals, 100% wet (also a feature you can only do on the Mono version) is nice, and the super long settings bring out a modulation that is subtle and isn't present on the shorter decay settings. For ambient playing the WET is jaw dropping.
    And it's buffered! Which is a big bonus in my books, with the trails.

In my opinion the WET is much more versatile, whereas the DM is more of a one trick pony for me.
    That being said, the DM is truly great at what it does, and so far I haven't been able to part with it for that reason.
    You really can't go wrong with either one...

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  4. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

The DM doesnt suck tone. They are both GREAT but I would take it over the WET. Ive owned both.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  5. jAcKoFsPeEd

jAcKoFsPeEd Member

The DM is just plain cheesy looking......when you factor that in with all the great reverbs available in the WET, from subtle to cavernous it's an easy decision. I've got a WET Stereo and a Topanga on one board and a WET Mono(with tone control) and a HOF on another.

6. SirGilmour

SirGilmour Supporting Member

The Topanga is cheesy looking. ;)

7. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for

Ambient pedals without trails seem really wrong to me. I don't want heavy ambience to be an always-on effect, and I definitely don't want it to stop cold.

I recently sold a Disaster Transport SR to buy a Stereo Slate V2 and the EXP. I liked the Disaster Transport, but it was a "nice but not necessary" pedal. The Neunaber? That's necessary.

8. deadlands

deadlands Member

The Stereo V2 does do 100% wet.

9. más_fuerte

más_fuerte Supporting Member

Both are great reverbs, but I like the stereo Wet the most. It's bigger sounding to my ears (especially in stereo) and has a huge range of sounds that are all usable.

10. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

I found the DMto be too dark. Not sure if it was an issue of tone suck or if it was just a darker sounding pedal but I sold it. I like the Wet better however if you can get your hands on a reasonably priced used Blue Sky (even if its a v1) I find that to be much more versatile for close to the same price as a new Wet.

11. Mallory8017

Mallory8017 Member

The BlueSky isn't very appealing to me...I'm not a fan of shimmer, and I rarely use spring reverb. I'm looking for something more hall/cathedral/large room based.
    The BigSky is my ultimate goal in the future, but for the moment (being a poor teenager) I'm looking for a simpler, lush verb.

12. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

A Stereo Wet would be just what you're after IMO.

13. Resonate01

Resonate01 Member

While the Dispatch Master is a fantastic pedal and is very highly regarded around here, the Wet reverb would be my choice hands down. I prefer having delay and reverb in two separate boxes, and the Wet is one of the best reverbs on the market right now. It excels for long decay times and just sits in the mix perfectly. Plus if you get a stereo version you can update the pedal to be any effect in Neunaber's system.

It may be more expensive, but if you look around you may be able to find one on reverb or here on the emporium for under 200$.

14. mysterious1s

mysterious1s Member

Then I'd go with the Wet.

15. bobcunningham

bobcunningham Member

I'm using both a Dispatch Master and a Seraphim Stereo.

16. tremolo3

tremolo3 Member

Haven't tried them. But I read that the DM is based on a Boss RV3, so DM.