Stereo with two small amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Gobtron, Feb 17, 2015.

1. Gobtron

Gobtron Member

Hello,

I currently play with a Fender hotrod Deluxe and I was thinking about switching eventually to a stereo rig with two smaller amps (Blues Jr. for exemple).

I like the fact that I could bring only one small amp to certain gigs, and the stereo rig to bigger gigs (and it can also be used as a backup amp, just in case)

I rarely play without a PA and I can't really push the HRDX anyway. I dont' know if using only one 15 watt may be not enough sometimes, but if I hook two 15w amps, would it be enough in those cases?

2. C-4

C-4 Member

Here for now, Europe when I die. Am I dead yet?
    That really depends on how loud your band plays, and the size of the venue.
    I did that with a pair of Vox Valvetronix AD30VT amps and it is really fun.

However, in larger places, I mic'd up both amps and put them through the PA and split them left and right.

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Do you run your PA in stereo? In most small venues (like bars, houses, coffee houses) it's not worth doing because the phase cancellation just gets ugly. In that case running stereo is more for your own pleasure than because it helps the audience at all. A valid reason to run it be be honest about it!

As to the volume, a pair of Blues Jr., or for more variety a Blues jr. and an AC15 should be about the same volume as your HRD, depending on speakers (you can more than double the volume by using a very efficient speaker like a Celestion Blue). The, for smaller gigs, you get to pick which flavor you want to play with tonight!

4. teleking36

teleking36 Supporting Member

I run two vintage princetons together as often as I can. It's such a unique and pleasing sound, and ends up sounding a lot bigger than a single higher wattage amp to my ears.

5. Gobtron

Gobtron Member

I thought about the AC15 + Blues JR. mix. Would that sound weird hearing stereo guitar effects with trwo different amps?

6. lakesider

lakesider Member

They don't really need to be matched amps.
    They don't even need to be of the same output to get a little extra from them.
    Experiment!

7. Teleman

Teleman Supporting Member

I ran two Blues Jr's for a while with excellent results. Wish I still had them. Damn GAS.

8. helrazr84

helrazr84 Member

I used to use two class 5 combos or two class 5 heads into a stereo 2x12. No prob with PA. I have some videos up of my setup on YouTube from a few years ago.

Currently, like you I use an HRD, and a class 5 combo. I put reverb in the loop of the HRD and Marshall dry. I use a delay out front that feeds into both amps but I don't have the repeats overly prominent.

Honestly the MARSHALL is there more for me and my ears as I usually only mic the HRD. But it does serve as a back-up and doesn't take much effort to include with the equipment load. I say go for it and grab something similar like a blues jr or class 5 on the cheap to pair with the HRD.

9. jota

jota Member

I play two amps a lot.
    I don't like two of the same amp. I much prefer two different sounds that somehow could complete each other.
    Right now it's this two:

[​IMG]

Not exactly small and I don't use true stereo effects but I love the sound these two have working together.

10. Jimmy Love

Jimmy Love Member

I run a Blues Jr. with my HRDX in stereo. Sounds good.

11. Gobtron

Gobtron Member

In fact, I don't know if I would keep the hrdx. I would go for two smaller amps. I try to minimize the efforts when I have to carry my gear in the stairs at 3 am :p

But I like the HRDX though!

12. Gobtron

Gobtron Member

Hummm funny how the AC15 is actually heavier than the HRDX. I thought it would weight like 15 pounds less. :/

13. guiltless

guiltless Member

My favorite setup is a Morgan SW22 and an Abbey together in stereo. Working toward that now.

14. drewl

drewl Member

If by small you mean two Marshall stacks in stereo, sure.
    I've used every variation from two full stacks to two 1x12 combo's.
    Especially when I was the only guitarist.
    It sounds great and really fills out the sound, especially if you run a wet/dry set up or clean and overdriven sounds.

And mind your phasing.

15. mdog114

mdog114 Member

I can use either amp by itself, but lately I run my Fuchs ODS30 and BadCat HC15 in a twin/stereo config. The last stages of my effect chain have stereo capabilities, and when used, they sound killer!

16. J-Walk

J-Walk Member

I prefer two different amps for stereo as well. I love my Morgan Abbey paired with my Blackface Vibrochamp. The British chime and American cleans sound great together. I set both to edge of breakup and love the combination of tones...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. gregsguitars

gregsguitars Member

I run stereo through two 50 era Gibson GA 18's all the time...great tones.