Stereophile Gives Pono Player a Good Review

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by fredgarvin, Apr 30, 2015.

1. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

At first, all of the Apple supporting sites, such as CNet, and blogs fired their competitors salvo at the Pono, even before it's release. Now, after some time has passed professional reviews have been forthcoming: Featured on the cover of Stereophile

http://www.stereophile.com/content/pono-ponoplayer-portable-music-player

Last edited: Apr 30, 2015
  2. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

3. fredgarvin

fredgarvin Member

4. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

5. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

I used to work in a high-end audio shop. If you'd rather believe anything Stereophile prints, good luck with that.

I was trying to be nice and potentially save you some money. If you'd rather be snarky and buy a subpar product, be my guest. It's not my money.

6. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

Arstechnica has more credibility? They admit that they "know better than to buy into the advanced-technology snake oil so often pushed on A/V geeks." Surprise, they set out to prove it was snake oil and they opined that it was snake oil.

I don't listen to mobile players so the Pono is not for me. I listen to hi res files on my main sound system in the living room and the Pono would be redundant technology for me.

7. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

You're reading WAY too much into this. Guess I shouldn't be surprised as it's TGP and it's popular to overanalyze everything.

There are loads of fiasco episodes revolving around the so-called audiophile world. I could name half a dozen high-profile ones off the top of my head. The Pono is the latest thing being pimped as some sort of revolutionary device when in reality, it's anything but.

I'm saying it's terrible at what it does but that in no way is it remarkable or amazing.

Stereophile is the absolute worst place to get any kind of credible source-related information on anything audio-related. There is never a piece of gear that they disliked ; big surprise. Anything ad-supported has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Hell, even Electronic Gaming Monthly, a videogame magazine was given tons of money by companies to give positive reviews to certain games. They even posted an article in which they prided themselves in finally refusing to budge on one particular title... completely dismissing every other time before or since that they didn't.

Thankfully, in 2015, we have access to the Internet and the opinions of people and websites with opinions that have a bit more credibility and/or experience, nevermind more plain honesty.

Not sure what you mean by your question. It's a portable music player. If you don't need to listen to music while on-the-go, you don't need one.

It's marketed as a high-end player capable of playing "hi-def" audio. Music on CDs is in a resolution of 44.1KHz while hi-def music can go to 96KHz and beyond. The Pono is advertising playback of 192KHz music which, on paper anyway, should be amazing. In reality, it's incredibly underwhelming for many reasons.

I'll spare myself typing those reasons out unless you're actually interested in knowing why. But suffice it to say that your regular music player will do the job just fine. No need to get sucked in with buzzwords and the bullet point lists of wild points the manufacturer swears its product can do.

8. sfarnell

Geesh, overanalyzing? You made a blanket statement about Stereophile and then linked to an article written by a tech review company who's existence depends on them finding snake oil everywhere. I merely pointed out that your reference finds snake oil in the same ratio that Stereophile writes a positive review.

As far as Stereophile not being dependable, I've made all my recent purchases based on their reviews. Do you not think that the Parasound JC1 and JC2 Preamp are great pieces of equipment and a great value for the dollar? How about Paradigm Signature S8s? That's what Stereophile reported and it's definitely what I think after owning the equipment for a year. Stereophile was right on AFAIC.

I'd agree that hi res is a waste on mobile devices, but why exactly is it a waste on a good sound system with good speakers? Certainly, some CDs sound just as good as hi res files, but not the majority IMO, unless there is some correcting software involved.

You probably know more about this stuff than I, but I know what I like and I really like the stuff I bought based on Stereophile reviews.

9. loudboy

loudboy Member

To the vast majority of people, anything above Redbook is indistinguishable, and ABX test will bear that out.

The real difference in sound quality comes from the D/A chip and most importantly, the analog amplification circuitry which follows it.

PONO has done that right, from what I've heard.

Whether it's worth it is up to the user.

10. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

And that pretty much sums it up. No matter what is brought to the table, your opinion of Stereophile will never change, so what's the point? :)

Take care and enjoy your gear.

11. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Buy it (or not) based on what you hear, not what you read.

12. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

This is consistent with my understanding as well.

13. sfarnell

You've brought nothing to the table except broad unsubstantiated claims. What's the point? No point. You're the one making the broad unsubstantiated claims. It's up to you to substantiate them or not. I'll continue to love my stereophile recommended gear.

14. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

Placebophilia.

15. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

But what if I can't hear why it's better than other players? I need reviews to tell me it's better so I don't miss on the improved sound.

16. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I just listen to songs on youtube through the speaker on my iPhone.

Sounds fine to me.

17. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

It's an ad-supported magazine that has never published a single negative review in its entire run. If you can't grasp how fundamentally flawed that is, there's no amount of debating that will ever change your mind. I've been around the block so many times that I know how this works. I could post a dozen examples and you'd still cling to what you believe. And because it's a predictably futile exercise that I don't want to go through, you'll no doubt figuratively point and say to yourself "See? He couldn't prove it!"

It's a lose-lose for me, bud. Educate yourself on your own time and you'll see why there's no respect for this publication whatsoever by any authority in the high-end audio industry. I don't have a dog in this fight. You like your gear? Great. Enjoy it. I genuinely don't give a rat's ass.

18. sfarnell

So enlightening since you worked in an audio store and must be an authority/expert. I worked in a movie theater when I was young. Does that make me an expert on movies?

I can understand why you don't want to take the time. You may prove yourself wrong. You're right, it's a lose-lose for you.

P.S. Most industry magazines are ad supported.

19. Tylenol Jones

Tylenol Jones Member

Thanks for proving me right. I just saved myself tons of time. Predictable to the very end. :)

20. sfarnell

All that has been proved is that you have an opinion that you are adamant is fact, and that you fail and refuse to substantiate, so that all that we are left with is nothing of interest and no reason to automatically preclude stereophile recommendations as not being meaningful and legitimate.

I tried to back up my assertions with evidence (i.e. the great equipment that I bought based on stereophile reviews), but you can't be bothered with evidence to back up your assertions. Not atypical for TGP experts.