• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Sterling Audio VMS Vocal Microphone Shield?

stephenT

I see Musicians Friend has these for $80 and before I pop for one, thought I check w/ TGP folks. Anyone use this unit and happy?

I'm mainly interested in recording acoustic guitar and vocals of course. I've got big old gobos that are kinda hard to manage and this looks like it'd be easier to record with at my desk.

Crowder

Dang Twangler
Gold Supporting Member
Those things work fine for preventing unwanted reflections, especially high-end stuff. They don't provide "isolation" by any means. Generally speaking you can get a cleaner track with them than without but they aren't magic.

stephenT

Thanks,..

I've got big gobos that are portable in my studio room, but getting them into position for mic-ing acoustic while at my desk is a pain. the shield seems like a win-win, move the gobos back for corner treatment and the shield for closer mic-ing and ease of positioning,..

Those things work fine for preventing unwanted reflections, especially high-end stuff. They don't provide "isolation" by any means. Generally speaking you can get a cleaner track with them than without but they aren't magic.

9fingers

Silver Supporting Member
I do use one (mine is a CAD brand, on sale from MF for $40 a while back). It does help, especially on vocals with an LDC.

stephenT

I went w/ the Sterling before you posted. The Parts Express unit is a tad wider but 3.75lbs vs 2.4lbs for the Sterling. I'll justify the extra $30 by thinking the Sterling will be easier to manage on a boom stand up close to my desk where I'll want to record acoustic. But it's just a guess.

I do use one (mine is a CAD brand, on sale from MF for $40 a while back). It does help, especially on vocals with an LDC.

Trending Topics