Sterling (EBMM) Albert Lee

Beakertwang

I have a thing for quirky guitar shapes, and I've always liked the Albert Lee, but I never really wanted to drop the cash for one. Today is the first I've seen of the Sterling Albert Lee.

I've always been really pleased with the Sterling line. They seem to be well built, with decent hardware. I played a couple of the Stingray (HH guitar) models at GC, and really liked them. My local shop has a JP model that's terrific. According to the reviews, this particular model had a couple serious QC issues, but that hasn't been my experience with the line as a whole.

Anyone try one of these?

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/sterling-by-music-man-albert-lee-hh-electric-guitar

Mpcoluv

Silver Supporting Member
The AL in its US incarnation is a great instrument! The body is super comfy!

Steve_U1S

Silver Supporting Member
I happened to try one of these just a few days ago.
It was of impressive build quality, and the ergonomics were good.
Plugged in the sounds were nice - I'm not sure what the wiring scheme is, but I'm guessing it uses a superswitch to do coil combinations in the 'in-between' positions on the switch. They were all quite effective sounds. I will say that the volume drop on the 2 & 4 positions seemed pretty extreme, which isn't normally my experience with those wiring schemes (I use HH w/superswitch wirings myself).

All in all, seemed like a lot of guitar for the money. I was impressed.

S-H-M

Silver Supporting Member
Tried one a few months back. Admittedly, I have long-ish fingers, so take this with the proverbial grain of salt, but the neck on the thing was such that it felt as if I were playing a broomstick with strings on it.

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
The pickguards on those look like they were cut by a chimp. Uneven edges, gouges, and chatter marks galore. I makes a nice looking replacement guard and backplate in all the popular colors if anyone's interested.

Smacky the Frog

Gold Supporting Member
I happened to try one of these just a few days ago.
It was of impressive build quality, and the ergonomics were good.
Plugged in the sounds were nice - I'm not sure what the wiring scheme is, but I'm guessing it uses a superswitch to do coil combinations in the 'in-between' positions on the switch. They were all quite effective sounds. I will say that the volume drop on the 2 & 4 positions seemed pretty extreme, which isn't normally my experience with those wiring schemes (I use HH w/superswitch wirings myself).

All in all, seemed like a lot of guitar for the money. I was impressed.

I echo this comment. It was startling how much of a difference there was in 2 & 4

Trending Topics

Top Bottom