Stern and McLaughlin together LIVE !!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by tribalfusion, Jul 15, 2011.

1. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Just awesome to finally see the 2 of them together!! Also including Gary Husband and Didier Lockwood among others...

2. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

Wow...not one comment on this historic video.

3. scottl

scottl Member

Historic yes... But, I did not like it at all!

Seen both guys many times. Together, not so good.

Still, pretty rare!

4. GITARGUY

GITARGUY Member

Sounds like one hell of a cluster f..k
    Expected more from those guys. But cool that they tried to jam.

5. Baminated

Baminated Member

Pretty funny how Mike has some of the most incredible timing in the history of guitar, but when he goes for the overhead clapping "audience participation" dealio - he's way off beat.

Anyway - cool vid as far as novelty goes - as far as a moving musical experience - not so much

6. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

yeah....I could easily stand to never hear Jean-Pierre again. Johnny sounds so SQUARE, pure eye-watering WHITENESS, and Stern sounds like he always does....which is, well, er, um.....let's leave it there, shall we?

7. landru64

landru64 Gold Supporting Member

8. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

And this post sounds bitter and clueless.

9. scottl

scottl Member

Well Richard does a have a sort of heavy handed prose, however, he is often not far off base.

I did not find the original clip at all enjoyable, and Stern and to a lesser degree Johnny Mac, are two of my long standing faves.

Although I admit that I am not smitten with John's jazzier works. I much prefer his acoustic stuff.

This clip was a hot mess for me.

And, I have seen Stern live at least a dozen times and Johnny Mac a few as well. Including the Friday Night in San Fran tour!!!

10. tone4days

tone4days Member

funny - i too dig both guys (stern more) but this wasnt as cool as it mightve been

i wish i sucked like this, though :D

11. tribalfusion

tribalfusion Member

It's a jam and people might be a little more prudent with their offhand internet comments and posturing particularly when speaking of musicians of this well-deserved stature.

If you listen later on in the clip McLaughlin pulls out some simply hellacious playing that I have never heard anyone else do and which at his age is just incredible.

It's fun to see these guys and if you are a fan of both as you suggest, you should realize how much of a find it is to even have this one clip as there hasn't been even one in the 35 years the 2 have overlapped.

If you want to find fault, have at it. But maybe a little perspective is in order.

If you don't like it, no need to announce it over and over to the world either as so many on this forum feel compelled to do.

12. scottl

scottl Member

Well I think the comments were based on exactly what you point out. All the decades and we finally get a jam with those guys. I was pumped and expecting big stuff.

Sorry if my disappointment and letdown caused me to post my honest thoughts. ;)

And yes, John has amazing chops for his age!!!

Btw, there is some nice bootleg Stern and Lagrene stuff floating around. Quite nice!! A whole show.