Stetsbar questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by c-dub, Jan 28, 2008.

1. c-dub

c-dub Member

Anyone have any experience with these on a stoptail model? General opinions? Can you rest your palm on the bridge and palm mute? Does it detune if a string is broken? Do adjacent strings detune when bending a string, if so, how much? Can you counteract this somehow (like I do on a strat style fulcrum trem by resting my palm on the bridge when bending one string and then playing the next)?

2. rooster

rooster Member

Yes.

Like them a lot (I've got 2).

Yes. Since the bridge moves forward and back rather than up and down, it's pretty stable.

Yes, it still relies on string tension vs. spring tension for its resting point.

Maybe a little, not so's I noticed much. It's all in the setup. Make sure you e-mail Eric before you order with the details on your guitar. He'll make sure everything is set up right for your guitar, as guitars vary from model to model.

HTH.

rooster.

3. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

You mean it slides back and forward like yachting??

Cool!

4. c-dub

c-dub Member

Thanks rooster! This is why I love TGP. Any other opinions/experiences?

5. c-dub

c-dub Member

6. -kk-

-kk- Member

i had one, but its an OEM version fitted on a myka. brilliant system. stable when without the arm, holds its tune wwell, and with the arm its just the smoothest bigsby-esque system ive played.

its the kind of add on that can really add to your style if you learn how to use it well.

the only possible 'complaint' is that there is a learning curve in terms of using it well, even more so than other trems ive tried. i had to really train myself to not overdo the bends/dips, its really is smoooooooth, very easy to overshoot.

7. -kk-

-kk- Member

oh, and on the OEM version there is no baseplate (see pic), so when you're actually using it, it looks like the bridge is sliding back/forth, as if unattached to the body. now THATs cool.

[​IMG]

8. RvChevron

RvChevron Member

Can you adjust it so that it only goes down in pitch and when you bend one string, the others will stay in tuned?

Is there any free play in the arm movement?

9. -kk-

-kk- Member

i think there's some room to play with in terms of spring stiffness, which will impact how much travel you can have. mine goes both down (at least 2 full steps) and up (half step, i didnt try any further). as far as strings stayin in tune when 1 is bend, i have to say i didnt notice them getting overly sharp, but cant really give you a comparison to other trems on this account.