STETSBAR, the good and bad

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by stairs, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Member

Surfin at Merewether Point, NSW Australia
    I installed Stetsbar on an Epi Sheraton II and it was great once I got it adjusted right.
    The best trem system available imo.
    Didn't effect sustain or tone.
    Only issue is the price - they're just too expensive imo.
    $150 would be a fair price imo :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016
    sahhas likes this.
  2. Deed_Poll

Deed_Poll Member

How did you get the walrus tooth on there? Really cool!

I'm going to be using the Stetsbar on a few builds. I'm going to CNC the bodies and do an angled neck pocket to get around the shim issue and use a straight string pull at the tuner end with staggered locking tuners and a zero-glide nut. I might even recess the unit slightly to get the bridge exactly where I want it.

Seriously though, I love that Maestro handle - was it a direct retrofit? Where did you buy it?

3. anyone

anyone Member

Please give an update when you finish those.

Deed_Poll likes this.
  4. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Member

I put one on a Tele style guitar a few years back. He was pleasant to deal with. He was having issues at the time getting black ones (problem i'm sure long solved). I do remember the Instl. manual could have been clearer. Ended up taking it apart. Some really nice engineering involved.
    Very smooth in use

5. N8HJ

N8HJ Member

It appears that the only thing that stops the Stetsbar from directly contacting the body is a thin piece of fabric. Has anyone noticed any damage on the body of the guitar after removing the repeatedly used Stetsbar from the guitar? I'm thinking of getting one for my LP, and any comments on whether Stetsbar would cause any damage on the body would be appreciated.

6. Mr Fingers

Mr Fingers Member

It's too bad that these devices are either fantastically ugly, humongous, or both. People expect a term to be EVH-capable yet mountable in a totally reversible way, and not abominable to look at, and I'm surprised no one has nailed this mechanical design yet. I would not put any of these units on a good guitar. Stetsbar or Bigsby with Vibramate are the best options, IMO, but don't really come close to being worthwhile. I'm surprised that no one has done a Bigsby lookalike that isn't junk.

7. 9fingers

9fingers Supporting Member

Not a Bigsby look-alike but way less invasive looking than either a Bigsby (which I personally don't like) or Stetsbar (which I do like) is a Duesy Les Trem II. it is very easy to install and surprised me with how well it works. No EVH, but better range, smoother, and better tuning stability for me than a Bigsby.

NamaEnsou likes this.
  8. BrokenRomeo

BrokenRomeo Member

I have a few guitars with the duesenberg les trem II, and it works as advertised and is well made...and it's easily reversible. Just make sure and keep the arm screws tight.

9. Clemens

Clemens Member

I have a Stetson Pro II on my Tele. No tuning issues (I've got locking Gotoh tuners). Cannot say if it affects tone because I got it this way. No other issues I would now. It works beautifully and it looks like a very professional piece of equipment made to last for a very long time.

10. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

Dayam!! U should have sent it to me!!!

11. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

I’ve always wondered when the cheap knock off would come out from China? I do have a guitar I’m dying to put it on!!!

12. sahhas

sahhas Supporting Member

This below:
    Reminds me of when Reeves Gabriel’s started using Reverends with The Cure, his 1st touring guitar had a stets bar on it, always thought it was pretty cool... think he was in development on his signature, and I wondered if he was going to stick w/ it on his signature, but when that 1st one came out, he went w/ the Wilkinson trem.. but I remember he had good things to say about it at the time!

13. Yamaha 350

Yamaha 350 Member

14. BigDoug1053

BigDoug1053 Supporting Member

I had a Stetsbar installed on a Les Paul, and it worked well and intonated properly, but the design lacks any aesthetic elegance, and my particular model would not allow the guitar case to close - it sticks up fairly high above the guitar top. If a buddy actually made something like it in a machine shop, I would say - cool! But a commercial product should have a little regard to design. The Stetsbars I have seen look clunky. I replaced mine with a B7 Vibramate kit.

I can, however, recommend the Duesenberg Les Trem. Much more "designed" lines and smoother response. I installed an older model on my LP Special DC, and the newwer Les Trem on my LP Standard DC Pro. The cases will shut properly with them installed, too.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
    NamaEnsou likes this.
  15. RayBarbeeMusic

RayBarbeeMusic Silver Supporting Member

The bad is its huge, clunky, and won't return to pitch no matter how much you mess with it. The good is the return policy.

16. burningyen

burningyen Member

After those posts of mine I eventually found that the Stetsbar had a tendency to suddenly fold in on itself like a mousetrap if I pulled up too aggressively. I could push it back down flat, and it would still work normally after that, but it was pretty unnerving. Great for Gilmourish playing, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want to get into Jeff Beck territory.

sahhas likes this.
  17. vortexxxx

vortexxxx Supporting Member

18. jwguitar

jwguitar Supporting Member

I agree the Les Trem seems to be the better trem compared with the stetsbar. The stetsbar was a big guitar trend earlier last decade. I thought it was a good idea. But I would prefer the Les trem coupled with grover locking tuners.