Steve Gadd, a Vibrophone & Sweet Tele tone!!!

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jjboogie, Dec 18, 2009.

1. jjboogie

jjboogie Supporting Member

Right at 4:35 is where the guitar solo starts. Nothing flashy or over the top. Just sweet warm tone and tasty playing. Any David Spinozza fans out there?

Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  2. scottl

scottl Member

Nice clip!! Wasn't in love with Spinozza on this one.... Band was laying down a simmering pocket and he was on top of it (over the top hehe). I would have preferred a more relaxed in the pocket feel. It was a little uncomfortable for me in all honesty. He does have a little bit of that Eric Gale type funkiness I dig though! Great player.

On the other hand Gadd and Levin were solid! Was that Warren Bernhardt on keys?? Nice stuff there.......

3. strattele335

strattele335 Member

I liked that! Like Scott said, it did feell like he was pushing on the groove a little bit.
    What a groove though! Is Gadd simply the coolest drummer on the planet? I would love to have a chance to play with a rythm section like that!!

Craig

4. jjboogie

Yeah this isn't my favorite recording of Spinozza but I still like his tone.....I grew up listening to one of his solo albums from the 70's that was fusion and it is just a ripping album! With incredible tone!

5. arthur rotfeld

arthur rotfeld Member

I don't know this guy's playing (at least I don't think I do). I thought it was good. I was glad he pushed a bit, the tune benefited by the surge in energy.

6. eliot1025

eliot1025 Supporting Member

Thanks for posting that, I enjoyed it.

7. Guitar55

Guitar55 Who was that masked man? Silver Supporting Member

I saw these guys at the Iridium in NYC not too long ago. My bass player's business partners is a very close friend of Gadd. We were there as his guests. Got to meet them all. Very cool night.

8. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

I dug his seventies solo album. Played it to death. Great version of Leon Russell's Superstar.

9. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

He was a high profile session player in the 70's. Probably best known for for the killer solo in Dr John's Right Place Wrong Time.

and thanks to the OP for posting this. I love when Mainieri lays back a bit. There's just something very special about the vibe he gets (no pun intended).

10. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I was in a band in the early 70s that was being produced by David Spinozza and Clay Pitts so I got to meet him and see him play in person a number of times. I really liked this video but agree it's not the best I've heard David play. I really like his jazz and classical playing a lot but his more rock oriented stuff is IMO not his strong suit.

11. jjboogie

Yes that's the album! I still have the original vinyl that was my dads!

Actually my uncle played in a band with Spinozza in highschool back in the sixties.

He said David was ripping by age 14! Just a natural!

Anyways....

12. james russell

james russell Silver Supporting Member

The album cover with the flying Tele. I wonder if it would hold up, listening to it now. I think I'll try to find it, as I really dug his playing.

Just checked Amazon, $32.95 for the import CD. A little pricy just to find out if I still like it.

13. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

What a coincidence... I checked this out yesterday. I am regularly looking on the ytube for Gadd....
    This tune is interesting in that the first section is like totally anodyne smooth jazz, but then from the gtr solo on, the groove hits and Gadd kills...

Seems to me there was a period from mid-late 70's where this particular brand of fusion was coming from NY. Like funky/fusiony/jazzy stuff, w/ the Breckers, Gadd, A Jackson, Sanborn et al.
    It is a very distinct sound...Anyone heard Mike Brecker trading off w/ Sanborn on a '78 release by Jun Fukamachi called "Live NY All Stars" or something. They play the BReckers "Rocks" and Sanborn and M Brecker trade, and then Steve Khan and Randy trade....Mike Brecker DESTROYS and Sanborns sound is so amazing...

14. RichardB

RichardB Senior Member

Also speaking of Tony Levin and Gadd, anyone remember that Mangione record called "ALIVE"? It's interesting because for sections the only backing for CM is Levin and Gadd - and Levin sounds excellent...Also it is notable because it is rec in '72, and Gadd sounds fully formed. I wonder when his concept solidified? He was only mid 20's then but already formed....

15. jjboogie

Yeah it's pricey but to me it is worth it. It is truly classic and has some SICK FUSION on it!

Doesn't seem like his tone has changed very much at all really. Even though he is playing a different Tele thru a different amp.

None of the upbeat fusion tunes are on Youtube but this song is on there. Luther Vandross singing background!

16. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

Spinozza... geeeeeez... I wish my solos were that sucky...
    Is there anyone that some of you guys won't bust on?haha:facepalm

17. Neill

Neill Member

apparently t lev assumes power stance no matter what he's playing.

18. jjboogie

It's all about the power stance! ;)

19. Tomo

Tomo Member

Yes, his first solo album was huge hit in Japan. So I really enjoyed... Now I see some influence from him? He was one of great jazz/rock players. That album! I still remember a few phrases... I copied from him.My new cd... I have three tunes featuring Steve Gadd... very funky!!! and very tasty!

PS, I never owned a Tele or LP.

Tomo

20. kevin hart

kevin hart Supporting Member

I agree with Scott's comments about DS. Yes that is Warren Bernhardt... he's a monster. I saw this group in NYC a couple of months ago and they were wonderful. I believe that the material must be Mike's stuff since he was the only one not reading charts when I saw them. Definitely worth checking out if you ever get the chance.